Persimmon gooey cake.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns
My wife always made this recipe at thanksgiving. It’s Paula deans recipe that uses pumpkin. I’ve put up several gallons of persimmon pulp this year so I asked if she’d try it with persimmon instead. All my pulp is put up in 2 cup batches.
Follow this recipe and use 2 cups of persimmon pulp instead of pumpkin and only use 1/4 of the powdered sugar. We left out the cinnamon and nutmeg too mainly because we wanted to see how good it turned out without it. This stuff is incredible!!! If you enjoy cooking with or eating persimmons, you gotta try it!!! Here’s recipe and pics are how it turned out!!!!

1463A134-BAF2-4F1E-87E2-1B402AB6E7D5.jpeg57D1EFE9-0C19-44E4-BF19-AAB846554A57.jpeg

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This is very similar to recipe my wife uses. We love it and everyone who tries it raves about it. My grandparents have two late persimmon trees that are about to drop and they are loaded so I see lots of this in my future!!!

Deep River

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Get a food mill. I used to help my papa put away 40+ cups a year using one. I use one now but only put away maybe 10 cups of pulp. Enough for 5 persimmon puddings
Thanks. We tried a food mill this fall and just wound up making a mess :) Those seeds are a bear to deal with.

hunthard2

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Really? Do you have a fair sized mill? The seeds did tend to bind it up just a little, but we would toss in just a teaspoon or so of water to lube them up to get a few more turns out of it.

As a general rule, the seeds didn’t slow us down much and when they did, it was time to clean them out.

It’s worth the work though 😅

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My best friend's mother up around Randleman made the best pudding and shared the recipe with me but I've misplaced or lost it and they've both passed on so if anyone wants to share their old family recipe I'm receptive.