Permits/Draws

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
After 10 years of putting in for the 4 dates @ the same Turkey permit opportunity hunt in the Piedmont I have been drawn for 2 separate consecutive years, but no luck again 2023. Bums me out! I keep telling myself I will not bother throwing my $ towards it again the next year, but I guess I am just a glutton for punishment.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
I went 0/3 which is normal so I dont get too bummed about it.

My daughter went 2/2 and got 2 good ones, so between that and our lease in SC she should have a shot at multiple birds this year. Thats all I care about anyways, hunting with her is a pleasure that I will always cherish 😀

jboi72

Eight Pointer
Well I drew both I applied for, I'm in shock took me 10 years to draw the first one in 2021 now I've drew 2 lol.

dfitzy

Ten Pointer
Contributor
0/4 for me. But my oldest got a good one for youth week. So hopefully he can get his first before me ha.

pir8rn

Six Pointer
My brother and I got 2/3. Third weekend at John's River and fourth at Butner-Falls. I don't love the mid-late season dates but I love both locations. Planning to camp for both. If anyone has those draws and wants to join us, lemme know.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
My brother and I got 2/3. Third weekend at John's River and fourth at Butner-Falls. I don't love the mid-late season dates but I love both locations. Planning to camp for both. If anyone has those draws and wants to join us, lemme know.
What dates johns I'm in area lot that time year might rode by say hey

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
Who the heck gets all these hunts? I mean a ton of them get picked on sandhills I think 40 per hunt. And several on other tracts.

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer
Who the heck gets all these hunts? I mean a ton of them get picked on sandhills I think 40 per hunt. And several on other tracts.
That Sandhills hunt is easy to get drawn for but tough hunting. I put in for it several years ago and got it back to back years. Hunted total of 5 days between the two draws and never heard a bird entire time.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
That Sandhills hunt is easy to get drawn for but tough hunting. I put in for it several years ago and got it back to back years. Hunted total of 5 days between the two draws and never heard a bird entire time.

Not so easy to draw - I only draw once every two or three years

Yes they are tough birds to hunt

I got the advantage of local knowledge - But can only use it when I draw

bhwaugh1

Six Pointer

Last time I was there some locals said there’s a lot of issues with poaching and private owners baiting. Not sure how much of that is true but if so makes a tough permit even more difficult.

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor

Sandhills is not an easy draw. Every 3rd year was standard for me. It would be a better hunt, but SGL is probably the most poached GL (deer and turkey) out there. I have plenty of pics of people in turkey vests on non-hunt dates on my trail cams. Google the undercover dog club bust a few years back.

Skunkgang

Spike
Sandhills is not an easy draw. Every 3rd year was standard for me. It would be a better hunt, but SGL is probably the most poached GL (deer and turkey) out there. I have plenty of pics of people in turkey vests on non-hunt dates on my trail cams. Google the undercover dog club bust a few years back.
Googled and did not see anything. Would love to learn more about the bust is there any other information you can give?

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
You got.that right,road riders all year..see them.every time I've been drawn. They wear the road out where turkeys cross.and no one has a permit. Plus folks.coming off club lands bordering it.most of those roads should have gates on them to keep people out.most of the roads on it do not go by houses so gate them off until a hunt.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
1/1 - the only one I've applied for, I think out of 5 years I'm going 3/5. I've tried the NC Lottery...no luck there LOL. The last 2 years I did not get it, but glad this year. I have private spots too, but I love a public hunt out of novelty, plus I've met some good cool people out hunting as well by doing it.

WolfpackHunter

Six Pointer
Contributor