Permit hunt

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Anyone want to put in for a group hunt on one of the permit gamelands?

I have been saying I was going to do it for years but never have so I'm ready to get it done this year. I would prefer blackpowder or rifle season and some new scenery like the Dan river gamelands maybe?
If not a couple on the river here will work too like Odom and Gilbradi.

Either way I'm open to ideas.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Cool idea. I’m thinking of doing something similar but during opening weekend of archery. Have a big crowd up camping and hunting on the Appalachian trail at 6000’. Won’t be so hot and I bet we could stack them up. I have 3 others going right now. We’d pack in and camp Friday afternoon. Then hunt Saturday, Sunday morning, then come off the hill.

Basically “western” style backpack bow hunt on the ground up in the balds and beech woods. Really interesting country but BIG

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Anyone want to put in for a group hunt on one of the permit gamelands?

I have been saying I was going to do it for years but never have so I'm ready to get it done this year. I would prefer blackpowder or rifle season and some new scenery like the Dan river gamelands maybe?
If not a couple on the river here will work too like Odom and Gilbradi.

Either way I'm open to ideas.
Those Roanoke river permit hunts always put off some great bucks, but you’d have to have a couple boats.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have never done this before, but seems like I read you need a party to consist of 5 people correct?

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer
Cool idea. I’m thinking of doing something similar but during opening weekend of archery. Have a big crowd up camping and hunting on the Appalachian trail at 6000’. Won’t be so hot and I bet we could stack them up. I have 3 others going right now. We’d pack in and camp Friday afternoon. Then hunt Saturday, Sunday morning, then come off the hill.

Basically “western” style backpack bow hunt on the ground up in the balds and beech woods. Really interesting country but BIG
🤔🤔🤔 I’d be woefully underprepared in terms of gear but I may try to get in on this

kilerhamilton

Old Mossy Horns
I have never done this before, but seems like I read you need a party to consist of 5 people correct?
You start a party. Kalvin gives you a party number. You pick people you want to go and share the number with them. Those people call or get online and join the party, from the number you provide.

Anyone can start a party hunt.

PS. The WRC wants party’s to hunt. People look after one another and occupy the camping space.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
🤔🤔🤔 I’d be woefully underprepared in terms of gear but I may try to get in on this
I’m gonna make a group chat for it in a couple weeks.

It’s September so you only need a sleeping bag and hammock. Camp close on the deer with no fire. All jet boils and led light.
Then hammer them in the morning and swing the meat overnight.

It’s a fun way to hunt up high. You just need extra men to pack the gear up and pack the meat down.

haywoodhunter

Eight Pointer

It’s September so you only need a sleeping bag and hammock. Camp close on the deer with no fire. All jet boils and led light.

It’s a fun way to hunt up high. You just need extra men to pack the gear up and pack the meat down.
Keep me in the loop then and I’ll try to join

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
I’m down.

I bought all the gear last year but it got too cold to be fun before I could make it out

Last edited:

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
I'm interested depending on where it's at. We can always do multiple groups up to 5 people in each. I think people are able to apply starting July 1.

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
Little further west than Im after but Dan River or eventhough its not a permit gameland Caswell County may work.
I'd been up for Dan River or even Alcoa if you're interested. I think it's about the same distance from you as Dan River.

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
What month are you guys thinking? If it’s archery are you targeting bucks or just anything?

I’m definitely down for rifle but wouldn’t mind shooting for archery as well. Permit or just plain public land hunt w/backpack camping, both are new to me here in NC. I’m doing it either w a group or by myself. Group is always more fun…

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer

id be interested as well depending on timing

MAM3006

Six Pointer
For the Upper Roanoke River hunts I have seen some pretty impressive deer come off the tracks that are river access only. The Urquhart Tract is not far from our club and backs up to a lot of pretty isolated private land. The Woods Island Tract is not down river quite as far. You used to be able to access that via land but that changed a few years back. That is river access only now.

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at the permit hunts for the Upper River and dont see how you select which gameland you want.
If you get selected do they tell you which one you can go to?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I looked at the permit hunts for the Upper River and dont see how you select which gameland you want.
If you get selected do they tell you which one you can go to?
Each tract has a code for black powder and any weapon hunt. Archery is all inclusive and covers every tract.