Permit draw?

chef

Ten Pointer
I wish I could tell you how Caswell is during turkey season, but I've only been in the area since October 2019. During deer gun season, the parts of Caswell I went to had a lot of pressure (like 5 trucks parked in the same area), but I also never ran into anyone. I would say be prepared for high numbers of other hunters on Caswell. Seems to be a popular game land. Just take steps to keep yourself safe.

i will probably stay away. turkey hunting just isn't very conducive to high pressure and dense woods. with no orange, i don't want to get peppered, or worse.

KrisB

Ten Pointer
i will probably stay away. turkey hunting just isn't very conducive to high pressure and dense woods. with no orange, i don't want to get peppered, or worse.

I hate to hear that, but I don't blame you. I stopped squirrel hunting on Caswell because of the deer hunting pressure and ended up just hunting a quiet corner on another popular game land, Hyco. Do what is best for you.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer

I have zero fear of hunting public in any area of any state. You just have to hunt smart. You have to look for the areas where folks aren't congregated. Find the spots people overlook and don't put yourself in a bad spot and you'll be fine.
Hunting public land gets a bad rap....

pir8rn

Six Pointer
I have zero fear of hunting public in any area of any state. You just have to hunt smart. You have to look for the areas where folks aren't congregated. Find the spots people overlook and don't put yourself in a bad spot and you'll be fine.

In fact, you can use this to your advantage. Lots of pressure in one area pushes wildlife elsewhere, which is where you will be, avoiding the pressure...

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
All I can say is there is reason its only 3 day week area take that with its reputation and yes its gets hunted pretty good. I'd still hunt it over staying home

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i got skunked again for butner and jordan. does anyone have recent experience with turkey's on caswell county gamelands. it is non-permit, my question isn't on birds it is on other hunters. not trying to get shot. is it safe in terms of crowds?
caswell gets far less pressure now versus years ago. It was one of the only central NC gamelands that had turkeys in good numbers for years.
I have a detailed guide to caswell turkeys posted here years ago (2012) by one of our better turkey killers. If you will PM me we'll work out getting you that info. If you want it.
By posting it here he was declaring that he didnt mind sharing it, neither do i.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I'll add this as popular as turkey hunting has become any no draw public with birds I'd expect company on. you can always find away around hunt mid week later in season

Hevi 13. Anson

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I have no experience on game land but I saw a ton of turkeys riding through Bladen State Game Land last year near Garland. I'm not sure if it's a draw hunt or if days are limited but it looked promising.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
well it used to (get a bad rap) but now with all the video series out there showing how productive it can be; it's a "hot" process.
I feel for the alabama and northern folks who used to have a bit of peace early and late in the turkey woods.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
This is patently false. Public land gets hammered, by idiots, and it’s dangerous as hell.

No more critters than are on public to start with, it’s simply not worth the risk:wave:

jbcook

Spike
If you wanna go I'll give you all the pins I dropped on my maps when I scouted it last year and you can send me more kill pics whilst Im at work 😁
The only one I was chosen for was the Sandhills. If you want to share those pins, I'll take em. :)

Good luck to everybody whether you were drawn or not.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
caswell gets far less pressure now versus years ago. It was one of the only central NC gamelands that had turkeys in good numbers for years.
I have a detailed guide to caswell turkeys posted here years ago (2012) by one of our better turkey killers. If you will PM me we'll work out getting you that info. If you want it.
By posting it here he was declaring that he didnt mind sharing it, neither do i.
Since your offering😁

dlmjr9

Button Buck
Pulled Butner-Falls and Sandhills. I've never hunted either before, for any kind of game.

Planning on getting out and scouting both and looking at maps.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Just in the news... Coronavirus is being spread by wild turkeys

The public is urged to forego turkey hunting this year!! If I was y’all I’d take up fishing instead

30/06

Twelve Pointer
For all of you that drew Falls you can leave the turkey calls at home. Get you a coffee can’t fill with pebbles and rattle it around as you walk through the woods. They’ll run ya over!

Brink15

Four Pointer
start with the basics,,,,

learn the terrain​
learn the vegetation​
learn how the critters use the area,​
learn how hunters use the area,,,​

do those four things and you'd learn how to kill the critter you are after (jn this case turkeys),,,,,,,,

Thanks. I think the biggest thing for me is with my schedule picking the right areas to scout. I will only have a few chances. And this is my first draw ever. Ive killed a few birds on a small piece of private. Changing my approach from a few acres to all of the gamelands is a little confusing and really exciting challenge. Not asking for spots but if anyone wanted to point me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated. Hopefully my boots on the ground can do the rest.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
point me in the right direction

if I was looking to explore the sandhills for the first time for turkeys?

roads in the Sandhills are just that,,,sand
drive till you see turkeys or turkey tracks,,,then get serious on scouting
pay attention to burn areas,,

or get on a piece of high ground (bwahahahaa) and listen,,,then do above,,,

or walk,,,,a LOT

Brink15

Four Pointer
if I was looking to explore the sandhills for the first time for turkeys?

roads in the Sandhills are just that,,,sand
drive till you see turkeys or turkey tracks,,,then get serious on scouting
pay attention to burn areas,,

or get on a piece of high ground (bwahahahaa) and listen,,,then do above,,,

or walk,,,,a LOT
i may give the sandhills a shot next year. Got my tag this year for butner-falls

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
i may give the sandhills a shot next year. Got my tag this year for butner-falls

I'd stick with butner

the Sandhills gamelands is 60,000 acres and only 18 turkeys killed in 2019,,25 in 2018,,,and 11 in 2017
on butner-falls of the neuse they kill 20+ every year on 40k (and a lot of that is lake),,,,

but hey,,,someone is gonna kill one,,,

jbcook

Spike
I applied for the permit last year for the first time. Do you apply for an individual or a party? I would like to bring someone with me but I cannot remember the specifics of the application....

The permit came in the mail yesterday, but it doesn't say much.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
The permit is good for you.

Now you can bring someone else along, but they can’t hunt.

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Yep, you had the option when you applied to “create an party”, the system will generate a party ID # for your hunting partner, but everyone has to join before the deadline.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro