Permethrin question

JFH3006

Ten Pointer
I have some 10% permethrin. Says 1oz per three gallons for mix. I see people soaking clothes in this solution. Doesn’t this put chemical in contact with your skin? (Understand this is not recommended) Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

np307

Ten Pointer
My understanding for why they tell you not to put in contact with your skin is an efficiency thing and not a danger thing. Animals are treated directly with it because it can bond to their fur. Our skin is too oily for that to happen and the bond is ineffective. That's what I've found by reading around, but I don't have any of the articles on hand. I would obviously recommend you do your own research.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm still alive, after all this time. I believe the recommended practice is to spray/soak the article with permethrin and let it completely dry before wearing the clothing. I would guess what you are talking about would be for those who think you should spray it on while wearing. If you feel it is still an issue, I would just go with some type of regular insect repellant and take the chances.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Don't forget your socks and shoes/boots..those are your first line of defense most times and sometimes folks just spray their pants and shirts and turkey vests.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Let one of the guys chime in. I believe the concentrate needs to be watered down to .05% for clothing applications. I did all the research at one time and wrote it on the bottles and the mix instructions. I’ll see if I can find it.

I stretch a parachute cord under the shelter, put my clothes on it, and use a round up sprayer until the are soaked through. I let them dry there. that will last 6 months to a year. I also mix a spray bottle and keep it in the truck.

Is it safe? Idk that any study has come out and said it is completely 100% safe.

I’ve had RMSF and I’ll take my chances with the spray.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
20:1 ratio of Permethrin:Water is recommended & works for me. Like mentioned above, with a good dampening spray from a fine mist spray bottle put it on everything...socks, boots, gloves, hat, vest, pants, shirt, fabric belt, etc. I used to get eat up by chiggers, but not anymore.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
You should not put on clothes wet with permethrin. You can soak them or spray them but make sure they are DRY. Once they are dry the chemical can't come off and affect your skin. I spray them down with my pump sprayer (backpack) and then toss them in the dryer.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
20:1 ratio of Permethrin:Water is recommended & works for me. Like mentioned above, with a good dampening spray from a fine mist spray bottle put it on everything...socks, boots, gloves, hat, vest, pants, shirt, fabric belt, etc. I used to get eat up by chiggers, but not anymore.

That depends on the starting concentration. In this case, where OP is starting with 10% solution, a 20:1 dilution would be correct. I have some in the garage that is 35%. I would need closer to a 60:1 dilution.

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
That depends on the starting concentration. In this case, where OP is starting with 10% solution, a 20:1 dilution would be correct. I have some in the garage that is 35%. I would need closer to a 60:1 dilution.
Sorry, left that out. This is what I use ordered off Ebay.20200401_105155.jpg

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
You should not put on clothes wet with permethrin. You can soak them or spray them but make sure they are DRY. Once they are dry the chemical can't come off and affect your skin. I spray them down with my pump sprayer (backpack) and then toss them in the dryer.
This , I’ve mixed mine like been said. I spray EVERYTHING , and I mean EVERYTHING! Underwear , socks , tee shirt , Camo clothes , hat , face mask , gloves , boots , vest , belt , even spray my decoys , decoy bag , and turkey chair.

I do this a couple of days ahead ( planning on doing it Wednesday next week) and let it all dry well. Never had a single issue.

Part-time hunter

Ten Pointer
I'm assuming that it still works or else you wouldn't be recommending using the dryer. I've never noticed if the stuff has an odor but I wonder about the next load of laundry to be dried. I guess it wouldn't hurt for my wife's unmentionables to have a trace of perm on them to keep the bugs off her boobs?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Sorry, left that out. This is what I use ordered off Ebay.View attachment 42809

I get mine from diy pest control online. I usually buy a quart and it lasts FOREVER.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Just read the label. It will tell you mix ratios to get down to .5%. Soak clothes down then let them dry. Easy peasy.
2c7e61773662775d27184b7267df32c1.jpg

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This , I’ve mixed mine like been said. I spray EVERYTHING , and I mean EVERYTHING! Underwear , socks , tee shirt , Camo clothes , hat , face mask , gloves , boots , vest , belt , even spray my decoys , decoy bag , and turkey chair.

I do this a couple of days ahead ( planning on doing it Wednesday next week) and let it all dry well. Never had a single issue.
i have never sprayed my chair but i think that wouldnt hurt to try.
Thanks @buckshooter

Homebrewale

Old Mossy Horns
Sometimes I think I should spray the cloth seats and carpet in my vehicle to kill any tick that may fall off me while driving. That way when I go to drive again without permethrin treated clothes, I won't get a live tick on me from one that's inside the vehicle.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
@roundball used to spray down the ground/leaves/grass where he was going to set up to hunt. Not sure if it helped or not, but I doubt it hurt anything. Maybe this was for deer hunting and not turkey tho....I can't remember.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Lol...it will look like bad skim milk afterwards.
yep, and I use an used Scent Free spray bottle and dump what's left back into the water bottle. But I use most of it spraying the chicken houses, it works great for bugs and even wasps.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
@roundball used to spray down the ground/leaves/grass where he was going to set up to hunt. Not sure if it helped or not, but I doubt it hurt anything. Maybe this was for deer hunting and not turkey tho....I can't remember.
Yes, after you put me onto Permethrin...which is one of those “best thing since sliced bread” kind of things...I settled on 3oz / gallon and used it during Turkey season.
Laid out & sprayed a couple shirts, pants, and the outsides of my boots in the driveway.
Then one spot in particular I used for Turkey was just inside the woods at the corner of a pasture...carried the sprayer tank to it the day before the season opened and thoroughly saturated a 10’x10’ area...never had ticks / bug problems with Permethrin !!