Percussion Cap Rifle

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Looking to get my first muzzleloader. I know Inlines make the most sense when hunting, but I plan to move back to WV next year, which has a special season now for flintlocks and percussion cap rifles. I’m looking at the Traditions Deerhunter with a synthetic stock. I know it’s a break from tradition, but I’m just wondering if anyone has used these and what were the positives and negatives. Any input is appreciated!

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're just looking for a tool, something that's quick and easy and complies with regs, get one. Work up a load that's accurate enough for your needs and go hunting. But since you said any input....
There's not much more satisfying than taking an animal with an old Kentucky or Hawken, Mountain Rifle....or any similar wood-stocked replica. It just feels different.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
West Virginia has a special January season that requires iron sighted side lock percussion or flintlock guns

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
If you're just looking for a tool, something that's quick and easy and complies with regs, get one. Work up a load that's accurate enough for your needs and go hunting. But since you said any input....
There's not much more satisfying than taking an animal with an old Kentucky or Hawken, Mountain Rifle....or any similar wood-stocked replica. It just feels different.
I do love those beautiful wood stocked guns that look like they were handled by Daniel Boone, but January for me is really duck season. I’m just looking for something that could allow me the chance to spend a little extra time in the deer woods if I still need to fill a tag, which is why I’m looking at the deer hunters. They’re cheap, seem to have good fiber optic sights, and could extend my season.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I do love those beautiful wood stocked guns that look like they were handled by Daniel Boone, but January for me is really duck season. I’m just looking for something that could allow me the chance to spend a little extra time in the deer woods if I still need to fill a tag, which is why I’m looking at the deer hunters. They’re cheap, seem to have good fiber optic sights, and could extend my season.
Then that's what I'd buy....

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Yep.
Feel the same if that us what you want. But just remember you get what you pay for.
That’s the main reason I asked on here, I couldn’t find many reviews. I’m sure this isn’t going to be a top quality firearm, but was wondering if there were any common issues with this model.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If it were me, for that price I’d be looking for a used T/C.

Might not be a synthetic stock, but to me it’s a much better muzzleloader

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I've had my old InvestArms carbine for at least 35 years, it's on par or better than any of the other big name brand sidelocks. It's chrome lined barrel made it much easier to clean and stayed easier to load with the original Buffalo Bullets that I used to shoot.
I'd have to say that either the White Mountain Carbine or that model InvestArms was the top of the line carbine at that time unless it was a custom job.

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns

Not to be a stickler for details but Daniel Boone didn't use a percussion...He used a flintlock...The percussion era came after him... :)

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Not to be a stickler for details but Daniel Boone didn't use a percussion...He used a flintlock...The percussion era came after him... :)
Lol yeah yeah, I’d had some beers last night, give me a pass. They make those guns in a flintlock version too and I wouldn’t mind having a flintlock, but it seems that the percussion cap guns are a little more user friendly.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I've had my old InvestArms carbine for at least 35 years, it's on par or better than any of the other big name brand sidelocks. It's chrome lined barrel made it much easier to clean and stayed easier to load with the original Buffalo Bullets that I used to shoot.
I'd have to say that either the White Mountain Carbine or that model InvestArms was the top of the line carbine at that time unless it was a custom job.
I have an investarms carbine that I bought back in early 80. May have been late 70s still shoot it with the Lee R.E.A.L 250 grain and 80 grain loose powder. Shoots as good as my in lines

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look for a used Knight. The old MK85 was the best of the best back in 1985 when they started. They had Timney triggers and Green Mountain barrels. Even the old cheaper Wolverine was a great gun.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
Traditions makes the Deerhunter model 50 cal in a wood stock version too, a better option IMO for the same gun, different stock. As far as shooting, I have a percussion Deerhunter and I must say it shoots great. Wood is not as nice and the aesthetics are not as nice as some other guns but for the price its hard to beat unless you buy used.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're looking for an inexpensive ML that uses percussion caps I've got an experienced Knight LK-93 that is just taking up space in the shop. Good ML in their day and should still shoot well, Timney trigger if I remember right, synthetic stock, scope mounts in place. PM if interested

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
If you're looking for an inexpensive ML that uses percussion caps I've got an experienced Knight LK-93 that is just taking up space in the shop. Good ML in their day and should still shoot well, Timney trigger if I remember right, synthetic stock, scope mounts in place. PM if interested

My first ML was one of those. Took a lot of deer with it. Yes they have a Timney trigger and Green Mountain barrel. Is it blued or stainless?

team muddy creek

Twelve Pointer
I have 2 of them, they will touch bullet holes at 100 yards if you do your part, still use them today.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Have the BK92 Knight that I bought new when they came out in early 90's....they do have the Timmey trigger and Green mountain barrel. I called Knight years ago and talked to an engineer there about using Blackhorn 209 in it and he told me that it was strong enough build to take the pressure of Blackhorn, but they could not advertise that. Have been using it ever since. Throwing 115 grains by weight producing close to 1200 FPS energy at 150 yards using Barnes 250 grain Expander loads. Will drop any buck that walks out to 200 yards....hunt with it every season and my favorite way to take a buck.

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I see right many old t/c's in gun shops and pawnshops. They usually spend a decent amount of time on the rack around here. I think it would be pretty easy to get one cheap. As for the Tradations, it will do the job fine.