patch lube

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
What would happen if you shot a muzzleloader with a patch with no lube?
In the “old days” it was commonplace to just dampen a patch with your mouth, so nothing really serious happens without ‘patch lube’.
If a patch is dry, then it usually starts to burn through...accuracy usually gets a little erratic, also, powder residue builds up more quickly in the bore

Thread starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I used moose milk for patches last night and when they dried, it felt like not much lubrication was left on them. Guess I'll just have to burn some powder to find out how they do.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Most would see an increase of stuck balls and not being able to load or hard loading.
You would need to clean the bore more often.
I shoot my 69 cal SB with no patch. I use a round ball just under the bore size that it will load.
I dip the ball in lube so it only covers about 1/3 the ball. I can load and shoot about 20 rounds before I need to brush the bore.
If I do not lube it cakes up the bore really fast, hard loading after about 3 rounds and can't shoot more than 5 to 6. The cake on the barrel is very hard to remove and takes forever to clean. If I try to patch the barrel it will lock up tight. I need to use a cutter than brush before I add any patches wet or dry.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the replies. I used moose milk for patches last night and when they dried, it felt like not much lubrication was left on them. Guess I'll just have to burn some powder to find out how they do.
Do you make your MM?
I use EVOO and Bees wax for bullet lube. Have also used it for patches.
You can add a little balistol to the mix for just lubed patch. If you mix and dip them they will be like wax paper. Also if you have a musket cap tin you can place a stack of patches in the tin and put the lube over adding just enought so the patches soak it up.

Have done that many times to have lubed patch.

What you shooting?

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
Well heck, let us know!!!

I usually use a homemade concoction called Moose Snot but for 25 years or so I used SnoSeal, it worked as well as anything else I have tried...

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have been mixing 50/50 Balistol and distilled water.
Was using about 33 % Balistol and 66% water but just due to the container I use the 50/50 now.

Do not use normal water due to the minerals and metals in it. As it changes over them time it will not work the same or change the bore.

Ive tried lots of patch lubes. Various mixtures of water/Ballistol (and let air dry for a semi-dry lube), straight Ballistol, Hoppes BP Lube, spit patches, etc....and always go back to TOW Trappers Mink Oil. Darn good stuff and my rifles like it too. Works well in all weather conditions is a plus and can be left in the bore a long time without fouling the charge. Just stay away with anything with petroleum in it.....it will cake in your barrel like asphalt. :(