Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 7mm Rem Mag

Votes: 11 23.4%
  • 7mm WSM

Votes: 1 2.1%

• Total voters

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
If your cartridge is not listed, post it and we can try to get it in the next poll, do not vote if it is not listed.

With the close of Part 1, and the continued battle in Part 2...Part 3 has been opened and includes more Deer hunting rifle cartridges. Many of the rest of the cartridges to be listed are just basic deer loads by Winchester Ammunition.
Although this ammo may or may not be popular, the cartridges must be in order to justify manufacturing them. I will fill in the last remaining slots with some metrics.

Semi-Finals are just around the corner, grab your favorite drink, some popcorn!
I have 22 cartridges left plus 7 pistol cartridges.

If your cartridge is not listed, post it and we can try to get it in the next poll, do not vote if it is not listed

Let the Karens begin!

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Although I rarely use it I think my favorite of all is my 6mm Remington . It was the first rifle I built on my own and it shoots lights out accurate way on out there to bean field ranges.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
Although I rarely use it I think my favorite of all is my 6mm Remington . It was the first rifle I built on my own and it shoots lights out accurate way on out there to bean field ranges.
I chased the 6mm and the Rem 788 itch in the same gun.

Worked up loads for it, and kilt stuff aplomb.

Then I said to myself, "Self, you don't need another gun this accurate and lethal, especially since you have a 45 Colt, the best deer cartridge ever."

So I sold it...

45/70 hunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I chased the 6mm and the Rem 788 itch in the same gun.

Worked up loads for it, and kilt stuff aplomb.

Then I said to myself, "Self, you don't need another gun this accurate and lethal, especially since you have a 45 Colt, the best deer cartridge ever."

So I sold it...
Are you handloading the 45 to 44 mag power? What is the gun?

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Now we're getting somewhere with the magnums. Still waiting for my 338 RUM, so I went with the caliber I actually hunt with... 300 wm.

But I shoot Hornady SSTs out of it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
2 votes for the 30 Carbine, that is pretty awesome!!
They probably misread this to read most expensive military round that is actually dirt cheap and extremely underpowered and in most guns VERY INACCURATE. Or they only have the one rifle and have never actually used another round.

That's my opinion only, y'all now have even more :poop: to argue about. ;)

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I feel like .30 carbine could do well, if anyone cared to load something for it that wasn't FMJ.

it's basically .357 mag power with a .30 bullet. All you need is something that cavitates or expands reliably while penetrating.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I feel like .30 carbine could do well, if anyone cared to load something for it that wasn't FMJ.

it's basically .357 mag power with a .30 bullet. All you need is something that cavitates or expands reliably while penetrating.

…and hits where it’s aimed.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

Hornady loads a 110gr FTX bullet fit the .30 Carbine in their Critical Defense line.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer

JONOV

Twelve Pointer

I think ft/lbs of energy aren't necessarily as important as the mass of the bullet. .357 shoots much bigger bullets. .30 carbine is usually a small bullet for the bullet diameter.

....because men using iron sights have never blamed the gun for their own accuracy failings :LOL:

I think it was used in hunting applications that didn't lend themselves to well placed shots.

surveyor

Old Mossy Horns
I like that. I also saw on that site that PPU has a soft point with the same velocity and grain weight.

Would love to see some gel tests on that.
about 21" with 0.45 expansion.

about 7:20 seconds into the video on the page:

I got a thread where I took a 30 cal cast bullet, created a jig to take off the round nose and make a decent meplat, than I adjusted the depth to make sure it still fed reliably, then proceeded to rip a small pine tree in half with the round.

DrSpeed

Eight Pointer
I think ft/lbs of energy aren't necessarily as important as the mass of the bullet. .357 shoots much bigger bullets. .30 carbine is usually a small bullet for the bullet diameter.
It's 110 gr. same weight as Vmax loads for 300 BLK. and about 70% the weight of a .308 load. The section density is fairly high because of it.

darkthirty

Old Mossy Horns

Damn skippy!!! I’ll have to say all time is 25-06 but I love my 6mm. It’s quickly becoming my “when I know $h!T’s gotta die right now” gun. It works on stray cats and coyotes as good as it does deer!!!!

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
....because men using iron sights have never blamed the gun for their own accuracy failings :LOL:

While that is true, there is a control mechanism for comparisons.

(Childhood friend’s dad had one and I’ve always wanted one since.)

T-Rock

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I love the Hornady 165g GMX in .300 win mag and how flat they shoot. I'm not a precision shooter but the caliber and bullet weight helps compensate for my lack of skillz 😎

I've hunted with my .300 since 94 and it has never let me down.