PART 1 - Popular Whitetail Rifle Cartridges, Poll Is Reopened

Of the listed cartridges, which would you prefer?

• Total voters

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Okay, just because some of these are not as popular as you may think, they are certainly popular on other hunting forums and popular enough for manufactures to manufacture specific deer loads. However, since the poll is closed you can see the top three. I should have only allowed one vote each but we can still see the top three. I will add them in another poll to include some others that were talked about in this topic.

6.5x 55
7.62x39
7mm-08

Almost enough to fill another ten slot poll....and more for Karen to complain about.
I'm curious what you're expecting or wanting to get out of these types of threads. I'm pretty sure subsequent polls and threads will go the same route as this one.

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
Id be willing to bet the top 3 have killed more deer than all of the others combined and I would also bet it aint even at close race.

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Id be willing to bet the top 3 have killed more deer than all of the others combined and I would also bet it aint even at close race.
I don't know. 30-30 has been around a long time. They say it has killed more game on the North American continent than any other caliber. Not sure if it is true or not. Just about everybody has hunted with a 30-30 at some point.

Rescue44

Old Mossy Horns

Retired local game warden was asked, years ago, his opinion on which cartridge has killed more deer. Said it wouldn't surprise him if it was 22 lr.

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
No, it is your lack of understanding it's history...and trajectory similar to the 405 45-70. I don't expect this younger generation to understand...even if you may be 65 or older.

However, it is listed to show the difference in trajectory for older rifle cartridges...to include the 45-70....and to represent the trajectory from older rifle cartridges not listed.
It also shows how spoiled we are now days to be able to aim at the same spot from 50 yards to nearly 300 yards and still hit the target. I love the 30-06 myself!
No, I understand plenty. It was the first centerfire made by Winchester, the "gun that won the west."

Comparing the .44-40 to the .45-70 is akin to comparing a cylinder-record, which came around at the same time 78 RPM records came out that can still be played on a modern turntable, or comparing an 8 track to a tape cassette. One retained some level of popularity and the other faded.

Trajectory was largely a function of bullet size and powder charge. Then, and now, if you want a .45 bullet to shoot flat, you have to put a whole lot of powder behind it, and you run into physical limitations in terms of space and pressure.

Within 20 years, the 7x57 Mauser was introduced. That introduction begat the introduction of the most popular cartridges in use today. The short lived .30-03 led to the .30-06 but was also the precursor to the .270 and .280.

The .45-70 remained popular for the simple reason that it has power to spare for most applications where one doesn't need a lot of range.