PART 1 - Popular Whitetail Rifle Cartridges, Poll Is Reopened

Of the listed cartridges, which would you prefer?

• Total voters

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Voted 308 win, old trusty, have killed a pile of deer with that cartridge.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
I didn't vote because the poll is sort of a joke honestly. Popular and the last three on the list don't really mix. I guess it depends on someone's definition of popular. 7mm Rem Mag and other more 'Popular' not on the list, but those are? Ha... funny, skewed, agenda from the start. I have just about all of those calibers in multiples, but agree with what Southern said previously.
Come on Unk I know you like the 270 as much as I like a 30-06 LOL

UncleFester

Old Mossy Horns
Come on Unk I know you like the 270 as much as I like a 30-06 LOL
You know it.... for 30 years just the thought of a .270 made me want to shove it right up someone's arse, BUT I know it's a great cartridge. In the grand scheme of things there's nothing at all wrong with the 45/70 outside of it'll knock your pecker in your watch pocket in certain configurations..... well most of them, but I go back to Southern's post and that's really the truth.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
LOL, modern? 38-40 and 44-40? For the MODERN DAY you totally left off the 6.5mm rounds, guessing that is some sort of prejudice against the 6.5Creedmoor and/or the .260Rem would have been my choice.

<>< Fish

minuteman

Four Pointer
270 is always a good choice, but IMO, the 243 with something like an accubond, partition or copper bullet will take care of any NC deer. Shoots flat and very little recoil.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Partial to a .204 myself, as long as I can see a poke. In the thick stuff a 22wmr or a .17 is lights out.

HarryNC

Eight Pointer
If you remove ammo cost and availability I’d say 257 Weatherby. Shoots like a lazer and every deer I ever shot with it was dead as a hammer.

I've had great results with the 257 Weatherby, too. Like you said, though, ammo cost and availability has been an issue since the pandemic shortages started.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Curious. The only whining I here on this sight on this subject is from folks who have an unhealthy obsession with denigrating 6.5 CMs and their owners.
Then it looks like you're getting an opportunity to build some character. :D

Winchester 73'

Six Pointer
Okay, just because some of these are not as popular as you may think, they are certainly popular on other hunting forums and popular enough for manufactures to manufacture specific deer loads. However, since the poll is closed you can see the top three. I should have only allowed one vote each but we can still see the top three. I will add them in another poll to include some others that were talked about in this topic.

6.5x 55
7.62x39
7mm-08

Almost enough to fill another ten slot poll....and more for Karen to complain about.