Pamlico Area

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
I moved to Sanford NC about 2 years ago from Savannah Ga. I hunted the saltwater rivers/ marshes in/ around Savannah and public impoundments around Darien GA a bunch and like that type of hunting. From my understanding the impoundments on the Pamlico are permit draw but the marshes and rivers around them are fair game. I’ve got a Prodigy 1854 on order and I’m planning on hitting the Pamlico, Cape Fear and Black River this year as well as Harris and Jordan Lakes. Is there anything to be aware of in the saltwater areas? I’m sure it gets crowded and you need to get on the water early to lock down a scouted spot. Any local advice is welcome without giving up your honey holes. Thanks guys.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Unfortunately not a great boat for the sound, though I see a fair amount used on the sound. If you are staying close to shore and in sheltered waters you should be fine. Be very careful or avoid the open water. It can get very nasty on the bay and rivers and a boat like that isnt made for rough seas.
As for ducks, Go on ncwildlife.org and take a look at the info you can get there. You can hunt certain refuge marshes as well. Scout scout scout and scout some more and you should find a few ducks.

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
Unfortunately not a great boat for the sound, though I see a fair amount used on the sound. If you are staying close to shore and in sheltered waters you should be fine. Be very careful or avoid the open water. It can get very nasty on the bay and rivers and a boat like that isnt made for rough seas.
As for ducks, Go on ncwildlife.org and take a look at the info you can get there. You can hunt certain refuge marshes as well. Scout scout scout and scout some more and you should find a few ducks.
Thanks for the info. Those boats are pretty seaworthy but I still like to watch the weather. I’m duck hunting, not catching crab on the bearing sea. I’ve been looking online but it seems mostly focused on permit hunts. I’ll just have to burn a few tanks of gas looking around out there.

kahunter

Eight Pointer
Thanks for the info. Those boats are pretty seaworthy but I still like to watch the weather. I’m duck hunting, not catching crab on the bearing sea. I’ve been looking online but it seems mostly focused on permit hunts. I’ll just have to burn a few tanks of gas looking around out there.
yeah you are in a 18' flat bottom boat. 15 knots is gonna knock you around pretty good. Just be careful and not too cocky. I run a 22' swan point with a 200 yamaha and Ive had a few sketchy times on the pamlico.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
The best days to hunt out there are the ones you are not going to want to be in that boat. You’ll be able to find some good spots accessible with that boat if you pick your days and spots. Just be careful if you try to make it out to pamlico point or further.
Your best bet might be to find smaller tucked away areas. You’ll be hard pressed to compete in the big water against a guy in a 25’ Parker with a couple net rigs out.

jopel

Four Pointer
Contributor
Some days out there with the right wind will make the two indistinguishable. be safe

Reactions: DRS

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Big open shallow waters and high winds make some big white caps. If she's blowing a Gail you're gonna waste your gas driving down to see for yourself. Or be rescued by coast guard if youre lucky. Your boat is fine on inland lakes if it's too windy down east. Best of luck

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
Some days out there with the right wind will make the two indistinguishable. be safe
Definitely. I’ve been on a duck boat that’s sunk in the river before. I had to use 2 floating gun cases to swim until our buddies got their boat in the water and pull us out. I don’t mess with bad weather or overloading boats anymore. It’s not worth sinking an expensive boat or worse. I plan on scouting around and keeping out of the really big water unless the weather is good.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
I’ve got a 19’ Excel Stalker, probably not too different than what you’re buying, and while it will handle the chop a little better than most people give it credit for it’s definitely not the boat for nasty days on the big sounds. That being said, if you can stay close to land on the direction the wind is coming from you’ll likely be fine in all but the worst conditions. I’ve taken my boat on the lower Nuese or Bogue/Core Sound pretty much every week since I bought it last December and have yet to really feel unsafe in it, but none of those areas are quite as open as Pamlico Sound

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
I’ve got a 19’ Excel Stalker, probably not too different than what you’re buying, and while it will handle the chop a little better than most people give it credit for it’s definitely not the boat for nasty days on the big sounds. That being said, if you can stay close to land on the direction the wind is coming from you’ll likely be fine in all but the worst conditions. I’ve taken my boat on the lower Nuese or Bogue/Core Sound pretty much every week since I bought it last December and have yet to really feel unsafe in it, but none of those areas are quite as open as Pamlico Sound
That’s what I figure. I’m getting an 1854 with a 40hp surface drive and 24” sides. My buddy has the same boat down in Savannah and run his through some pretty decent chop without an issue. I’m not looking to test the water too far but a little wind won’t keep me from hunting.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
All have offered good advise. The boat you’re getting will suffice on certain days around the Pamlico but is much better suited for the inland rivers and lakes where you can go where others can’t or are too lazy to walk in. Got a buddy who hunts a Piedmont lake with a mud motor and he consistently kills big ducks because he crosses over shallow areas to get deeper into a marsh and/or woods, away from everyone else. That is where a boat like that excels.

Yeah, competition is keen around the sound. Fewer birds and more hunters the last several years for sure. You’ll need to get your plan right before each hunt around there and be prepared for plan B,C, and D. Just the way it is there now.

TomstoSwans486

Four Pointer
I've seen numerous people in 18ft boats take them over the bow or turn around out of Scooter's ramp headed out to PP impoundments. You want wind there, a lot, and that's not a time to be out in the dark, loaded with gear a dog and a friend or two. You aren't in the bearing sea, but that water still isn't friendly at the wrong time. You can move around in Campbell Creek on most days and be alright in a boat your size. Check it out on a map.

That being said, you're in Sanford - head up to the Cape Fear River, look at ncwildlife.org and the game lands to determine what is game land and what isn't. Your rig will do great there, I'm not saying you'll kill a bunch of birds, but there are a few and less people around. If you ever want to scout it hit me up, I don't live too far away from there, and have hunted it many times in the past.

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
Geez, another soup can captain asking for advice about going to a place he’s never been in a boat he’s never driven but already knows everything. Best thing you can do is buy a life jacket and a VHF.

You got a YouTube channel?
Just because I’ve got a boat on order doesn’t mean I’ve never had a boat and “know everything.” Ive also acknowledged that I’ll watch the weather and not go out if it’s bad. Good to know duck hunters are still dickheads. Don’t worry old man. I’ll be beating you to your spots before long.

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
We had a cold front come through one time when we were out there. One of the few times in my life I didn’t think i would ever make it back to the truck.

I’ve been out there in a 30’ sailboat and had to run and hide more than once. Harder to hide something with a 6’ keel and 55’ mast.

Greenhorn

Six Pointer
I've been either fishing or hunting the Pamlico River for the most part of the 44 years I have been on this plane of existence. Quite a few times I was cussing a weather forecast.

Reactions: DRS

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Everyone jumped on "Pamlico Sound" but he said specifically a few Rivers and "saltwater areas." There's a lot of water down there...watch the weather and know the county lines and laws but also don't be afraid to be mobile and trailer it somewhere less likely to be getting the beat down from the wind/waves.

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
Everyone jumped on "Pamlico Sound" but he said specifically a few Rivers and "saltwater areas." There's a lot of water down there...watch the weather and know the county lines and laws but also don't be afraid to be mobile and trailer it somewhere less likely to be getting the beat down from the wind/waves.
Thanks. I think that was lost on a few people.

Totaloutdoorsman

Button Buck
Well to be fair the title WAS pamlico sound, and he asked if there was anything to be aware of
The title of the thread has always been “Pamlico Area.” While I appreciate the concern it got a little out of hand. If people had read my original post they would have realized I was asking about the rivers and marshes around the sound rather than trying to set a raft of decoys in the Gulf Stream in an 18’ boat.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
Good luck, the pamlico has humbled many people.
The Pamlico sound has killed people too. Took 3 lives on a 50 foot trawler just two years ago. Only a few miles from the dock in December on a 25 knot forecast that actually blew over 40. These guys on this forum were trying to give you damn good advice but you already screwed the pooch.

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
Cape Fear in Bladen county has regulation from having a gun in boat until after Jan 1st. Black River just a wood duck shoot .

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
Nice try. Just trying to keep ya out of my honeyholes....can't believe nothing you read on the web anyhow. At least you didnt ask for spots to hunt 😂. I may have some new ones in mind tho