Palomino/Golden Rainbows

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Hit the same river as prior and same Golden(known locally as Palomino even by F+G but really Golden color phase Rainbow). Same one I found again tooked into his hole he broke my 4 lbs. Leader on two trips back. Not interested in anything I had. Left him and found a 20” Bow who missed the bait because a 2# Brown took it. I’ve gotten spoiled and reeled him in grudgingly. Last hole I checked a mile into the woods held a whitish Palomino. Couldn’t get a bite. Happened to look over the dam and here was another and he’d gotten trapped in one decent pool. He was also the orange/red striped color phase. I’ve spent 3-16 hour days over 3 Saturday’s to try and find one. He hit and after I managed him off the dam he wouldn’t go in the net and on his next run he nicked the Leader on the concrete dam and it popped. I had him again a short time later and lost him realizing in my excitement I reused the old Leader. The trout was not happy in the tangle of trees he was found in so headed for a section much more Fisherman friendly.

A family of Locals by now had walked up from who knows where and saw the commotion. A 12-14 year old immediately started casting over me. His Dad scolded him and he got mad. I pointed out a great hole and pointed to my bait. His first cast was a 14-15 inch ‘bow. Then he and his Dad dropped into the hole I was in and both cast over me. I realized how ridiculous it was and packed to leave. Teen terror was now mad his older brother was ignoring this circus and landing fish left and right. He had a lure I was familiar with. Teen terror whines at his Dad about not having more lures like that.

I had one exactly the same so I tied it for him and gave it to him on my way out. I also pointed out the second Palomino and they swarmed. As I was leaving the Dad caught the first one.

Attachments

• 456141A2-EED7-44C5-BC7E-5008BE8A38FE.jpeg
    456141A2-EED7-44C5-BC7E-5008BE8A38FE.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 27

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
It worked well for me. After the crowds opening day and leaving pool after pool of biting 15-18” trout to find a few rare fish I realized I wasn’t having fun or relaxing. I’ve decided to focus on the Kids and just start enjoying myself again. If a river is high pressure I will just leave. I found countless small creeks loaded with hungry trout. Just not 20” trout but Kids don’t care. Once the crowds thin out I’ll get used to the high current and conditions of the Lehigh right here at home instead of driving hours away. The Lehigh is a beautiful river and parts are pretty hard access unless your a Local. The best part is I can sleep in another 2 hours on my rare day off and still have the Kids on the water 2 minutes after leaving the house.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Oh and best part, as I was packing up I found my bait bucket empty. That’s why Teen terror gave up on the other hole. He had used all my minnows. I hope I may have had some positive impact through generosity.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Planning a Guided raft trip down the Gorge section of the Lehigh below my house. Going to learn the holes and Spinner fishing along with trying Flyfishing for the first time in decades from a well known Young Trout fanatic who gives exhibitions on flies and fishing locally in NEPA. I’m also trying to figure out which style raft/fishing frame is conducive to Kids fishing.