Pack out: 1/4 vs drag....

sears303

Spike
I am new to deer hunting, but do a lot of reading and listening. I know the areas here in Western Carolina are rugged, and I have hiked, squirrel and turkey hunted so I understand the terrain. My question is mostly for public land guys that kill a deer and do not have the option to just drag it out whole. I know each scenario can be different, but overall, best to...
  • Gut and carry(doe or small buck)
  • 1/4 and pack out
  • Bone out in field and pack out
Just looking for what you guys prefer when driving the truck or ATV back is not an option. Thanks for any tips!

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
1/4 and carry out in a pack. I havent come across a deer in NC that I couldn't get out in 1 load with a good pack.
I'll never drag another deer (very far) if I can help it.

1/4 it out takes MAYBE 30 minutes longer than caping one out with a hanger.

Several youtube videos available.

Moose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Can you quarter one prior to checking it in? I've never done it that way but I assume you can. Boning it out I'm pretty sure has to happen after you check it in. Lack of cell service could be an issue.

I don't think you can separate any of the meat from the skin prior to calling it in.

I bring mine out whole but then again I've done the same with every moose I've killed so far too :D

nchawkeye

Old Mossy Horns
When hunting the Uwharries, thankfully I have a signal...I call it in, hang it in a tree with a racket pulley, bone it out, put meat in bags, put bags in backpack and come out with it...I'm not getting a heart attack trying to drag a deer out...

sears303

Spike
I did get some game bags in case I am super fortunate. Seems like 1/4 is the way to go. I did read about leaving proof of sex, so just making sure of that.

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Depends on the situation ( how far from the truck, how rugged the ground ) if it’s going to be a hard drag I just quarter in the field and pack them out

my wife (girlfriend at the time) shot an 8 point that ran to the bottom of the holler in a really rough area a long long ways from the truck, on public land so driving closer was a no no , we ended up walking to get service to check it in and then went back deboned and packed it out… was still better than dragging a deer out of that hole

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
1/4 and haul out. A doe or small buck takes about 20 or so min to breakdown. A larger buck (something I may want to mount or do a euro) takes 30-40 min max including skinning/caping.

JOAT

Button Buck
Can you quarter one prior to checking it in? I've never done it that way but I assume you can. Boning it out I'm pretty sure has to happen after you check it in. Lack of cell service could be an issue.

I don't think you can separate any of the meat from the skin prior to calling it in.
FYI from the regulations : “

Registration in Remote Areas​

• When a hunter harvests an animal in a remote area, the animal must be registered by 12 p.m. (noon) the day after leaving the remote area.
  • When a kill occurs in a remote area and the carcass cannot be transported intact, the animal may be skinned and dismembered before registration.
  • Big game harvested in a remote area may be left with another person, provided the person has the successful hunter’s name and date of the kill.”

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I 1/4 and pack out. I will not drag a deer put a few hundred yards if I can help it. Deboning would make your load even lighter. When cleaning on the ground I split the hide down the back and work it of from the top. This way the hide lays out on the ground and helps with keeping the meat clean. I carried a small tarp to put under the deer when I first started quartering them and packing out. Now I have a routine that works. Never hurts to use that tarp, especially when your learning. A good pack will help too. I carry a military surplus laundry that's water proof to place the plastic bags, with deer in it, into so I don't get blood into my pack. I use an Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS plenty of room for most deer in NC. I have lashed my pack on my climbing stand to carry both. It worked fine. It even worked fine with a deer on the pack. Well, that was until I stumbled and went head first into the ground due to being top heavy. The weight had me pinned down. I decided not to do that again. I hunt from the ground now when I hike in.

Last edited:

cloningerba

Old Mossy Horns
I quit dragging them a long time ago unless I’m close to the truck. We always quarter them.

Like papa smurf said you can put the bottom of your climber as high as you can in a tree and pull them up with a rope.

Now that ncstate taught me how to clean them on the ground, I’ve switched to that method. We quarter all of our mule deer that way and it was super simple. Start at the shanks on the shouldlers and hams. Skin the hide back and get the shoulders and hams first. Cut out the back strap and then reach in behind the last rib and the inner lions come out with a cut on the front and top. Flip the deer over, repeat and your done! Don’t forget to punch your tag before hand.

Attachments

• 7904335A-3240-4510-B6ED-31844E3AE7D4.jpeg
    7904335A-3240-4510-B6ED-31844E3AE7D4.jpeg
    322 KB · Views: 32
  • 0D5FB900-0F8A-4940-8DE8-3624038AA714.jpeg
    0D5FB900-0F8A-4940-8DE8-3624038AA714.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 32

sears303

Spike
I 1/4 and pack out. I will not drag a deer put a few hundred yards if I can help it. Deboning would make your load even lighter. When cleaning on the ground I split the hide down the back and work it of from the top. This way the hide lays out on the ground and helps with keeping the meat clean. I carried a small tarp to put under the deer when I first started quartering them and packing out. Now I have a routine that works. Never hurts to use that tarp, especially when your learning. A good pack will help too. I carry a military surplus laundry that's water proof to place the plastic bags, with deer in it, into so I don't get blood into my pack. I use an Alps Outdoors Traverse EPS plenty of room for most deer in NC. I have lashed my pack on my climbing stand to carry both. It worked fine. It even worked fine with a deer on the pack. Well, that was until I stumbled and went head first into the ground due to being top heavy. The weight had me pinned down. I decided not to do that again. I hunt from the ground now when I hike in.
Great tips on the tarp. I have watched videos on 1/4 in the field and using that method of using the hide to keep things clean, but a tarp while learning is a solid plan. I plan to hunt from the ground as well.

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Man that's awesome, lol never occured to me to utilize the stand. Thanks and awesome bucks in all pics. Very nice very nice
If it holds you up while you climb that 100 lb doe wont hurt it! Hahaha jk man. I've hung pretty big bodied deer off a stand and had no issues. Only took me 3 drags or so to think about it.

Wirehead

Eight Pointer
Dragging, if more than a hundred yards or so on flat ground, is rough.

1/4, if necessary debone, and pack out is the way to go. This does require a good pack…

jakeller27

Four Pointer
1/4 and pack out seems easier to me. I’m not super proficient at getting all the meat when trying to cut it up on the ground, but I get the major stuff. I quartered a little buck up and hauled him out in one trip on my Mystery Ranch pack frame with the Mule pack bag yesterday evening. I was impressed at how easy it all carried. I’m putting a little tarp back in my kill kit for the next one - that’s a great idea. Good game bags also go a long way in this situation.