P14's in Afghanistan

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
8 months ago got a Remington P14 (later renamed No. 3) British rifle in .303 British. Yesterday picked up a second Rem. P14. Gun was made during WWI and later when the USA entered the war rechambered in .30-06 as the Model of 1917. Three companies produced both chamberings, Winchester, Remington and Eddystone (sub Remington). Original guns had a volley sight mounted on the left side. Brits removed them sometime in the 30s. These two retain their volley sights, ladder sights and battle peep sights. So it seems that the British Govt gave these guns to the Afghan troops after WWI (British backed) Around Dec broke the firing pin/striker tip on gun #1 and acquired a striker assembly off a M1917 here that was demilled. Normally the two parts are not identical and add to the fact that the M1917 was a Khyber Pass copy. Have a replacement enroute from SARCO. Just took #2 to the range and hit steel from 150 yds with some unmarked ammo. Serial numbers on the two guns are 6060 difference (416xxx/422xxx)

Volley sights on left side of gun, ladder sights (SN on backside) and battle peep.

Two brothers

Range with #1

CD

Colekira

Ten Pointer
Contributor
What's the folder variant? Cool rifle. I had a bunch of mil-surps I sold off including some .303s. Had a pristine jungle carbine and an MK4 sniper stamped H&H with the scope in perfect condition.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
I have several of the British guns. Some really nice ones. Never found a good P14 but several of the 1917s found there way in my collection.
They are great shooters.

FishHunt

Old Mossy Horns
In the good old days couldn't you have packed those bolt guns up and ship them home?

Thanks for sharing. I always enjoy seeing these post.

I have a Remington Mosin but no other martial Remingtons.

<>< Fish

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Those are super cool to see that these rifles are still around...I really enjoy your postings on these old guns, I can see that you appreciate them.

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Is the ammo captured as well? How does that old ammo (1918) shoot? Any misfires?
Yes, ammo is captured except 40 rds I got from the ANA. All ammo has fired but have had two case head separations in the BREN LMG (late 30s). Only way back is to demil them. ODA did the paperwork on that Mk II BREN as a dewat war trophy.

CD

sky hawk

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
That's impressive. I'm imagining less than ideal storage conditions, changing hands and locations many times since 1918.

Are you ever concerned that one of those old combinations is going to give a dangerous result? I had a case head separation once, and there was potential for injury.

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
So out of curiosity, what will happen to the guns once you are done with them? Will they go back to ANP or will they be destroyed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bryguy

Old Mossy Horns
Returned to ANA or demilled and brought home as a war trophy.

CD
so what would be entailed to demill one? Would be totally non functionable or would just certain 'features' removed. Your posts are always intriguing to me about the stuff you find over there......

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
That would destroy a functional, historical firearm imho.

Can you even bring back a pre 1899 firearm?

Combat Diver

Eight Pointer
Yes, I
That would destroy a functional, historical firearm imho.

Can you even bring back a pre 1899 firearm?
Yes, I can import antiques. Have a 1881 dated Martini Henry Mk III that I need to do the paperwork on. Post 1900 even thou I have a Type 03 FFL C&R, still can't import.

CD

Reactions: CRC