Oysters

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
I would rather just dab the hot sauce on the tip of my tongue. Y'all are covering the exquisite oyster flavor.
I'm about with ya in that, but heck I'd try it.
I've been eating raw oysters a long time, and that still isn't appealing to the eye. Kind of like Oysters Rockefeller, looks like bird [emoji90] on a shell, but I can eat a mess of them like that.
70e42d1678e8b4139abe4956d356d895.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I've been eating raw oysters a long time, and that still isn't appealing to the eye. Kind of like Oysters Rockefeller, looks like bird :donk:donk:donk:donk on a shell, but I can eat a mess of them like that.

I've tried Oysters prepared many different ways and I keep reverting back to plain ol Oysters.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I prefer toadfish knives. But Crystal for sure.
ouch!!!..you like those daggers..but you need those for these tiny modern day things that pass for oysters. When we were picking up oysters by hand you didn't need that sharp pointed kind of knife, most guys made their own out of barstock or roundstock at the papermill.

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
ouch!!!..you like those daggers..but you need those for these tiny modern day things that pass for oysters. When we were picking up oysters by hand you didn't need that sharp pointed kind of knife, most guys made their own out of barstock or roundstock at the papermill.

The best one I ever had I made out of a stubby flat head screwdriver. And yea I’ve put this one deep in my hand a few times. But I’m pretty quick with it I shucked 3 doz. this weekend in about 2 mins.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
Oh, so you will eat the cockroaches of the sea.....
I suppose so..haha! Never been a fish or seafood fan. It looks good on a plate but as soon as I taste it I remember why I don't eat it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Papa_Smurf

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I've been eating raw oysters a long time, and that still isn't appealing to the eye. Kind of like Oysters Rockefeller, looks like bird [emoji90] on a shell, but I can eat a mess of them like that.

Love me some oyseters rock

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

BigBow

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Not sure I have a limit on how many I can eat nowadays...especially if someone else is shucking them for you. I prefer raw & steamed & depending on where they come from maybe a little salt sprinkled on them. To me, condiments only distract from their yummy coastal flavor. I have fond memories of going to a tiny waterfront cinderblock building w/ an oyster shell parking lot in Sneads Ferry w/ my now deceased parents & favorite aunt on a rainy pre-Xmas night. There were no tables, just a bar & w/ high stools. You ordered by the peck & the man shucked'em real fast right there in front of you. Proper manners, said that you let him get a little head start on you before you started eating them.
Its a small world! My buddy & I went to Seaview Pier @ N.Topsail Beach last week to bottom fish. We caught Bluefish, Weakfish, Whiting, Spot, Flounder, Pigfish, Toadfish, & Perch. Mostly small & tossed back to grow. We ordered delicious take out seafood dinners @ the Riverview Cafe, in business since 1946, two nights in a row. Guess what? According to the Riverview Cafe employee, the little cinder block Oyster Bar my parents, aunt, & myself ate @ around 1967 turned out to be the now lower level of the Riverview Cafe in Sneeds Ferry, nowadays used only for storage. Talk about stepping back in history 55+ years ago. Here is a picture of a few that did getting eaten that we caught.20200522_192624.jpg

Troutbum82

Twelve Pointer
Just throwing this out there for anyone that may be interested.

there is a spicy and bold cocktail sauce with the food lion brand. It is the best off the shelf I know of. Possibly off topic but thought I would throw that out there.

You should try this.
78f96750e0f21369751228de313d750f.jpg

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
I'll eat raw, steamed, fried, and Rockefeller.
My cocktail sauce is light pink with white chunks in it. I doctor up the HT traders brand.
My favorite way would probably be raw but, I struggle to shuck 'em that way. Steamed is a lot easier for me to finish opening.
Amount= a bunch. Never counted.

Really enjoyed reading all these stories.