Oysters

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
Raw, with a squirt of lemon and some cocktail sauce.
My dad taught me to chew them not just slurp them down, that way if you get a bad one you can spit it out, if not getting sick from a bad one would be horrible. I have to say, I have never gotten sick from eating oysters. I have gotten to overly full from eating too many and drinking beer, but when you can buy a half or full bushel at a fair price, keep eating till their gone.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

valetroutfisherman

Ten Pointer
When I was station in Hawaii, 1995-99, I was in a Direct Support Maintenance shop. One of the guys in my shop was the Waikiki area. He took us to a oyster bed in one of Pearl Harbor's Lochs. We would have to go at low tide, which happened to be close to our lunch time. About 4 of us would head there. Duffle bags and boogie boards in hand. We would get there, wade out to the bed and pick all we could carry. Go back to our shop, fire up the grill, out back, and eat while at work. The water around Hawaii is extremely salty, so you can imagine the oysters.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My hometown was very near Apalachicola and even closer to Indian Pass where the best oysters in the world used to come from before the hurricanes and Atlanta changed that forever. We used to walk the open bars with a bottle of Crystal hotsauce and an oyster knife and eat just as many as we could hold of the fattest, saltiest cup shelled oysters you could imagine. Every one of them was a dunlap oyster(if we would have had saltines at the time).
We usually were cast netting for shrimp and/or mullet so we took home some good fresh seafood in our bellies and our coolers. Those were the good ol' days, sadly they are long past. That's when a bag of select Indian Pass oysters would run you $18..that's a full burlap sack.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
I have, one of those midwest things you have to do. Taste like deer meat to me

First time I worked cattle in SoDak, we were steering calves and I tossed a pair. One of the guys said, "what are you doing those are good eatin'." I thought he was joking.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
The bravest man in history was that 1st guy to ever eat a raw oyster!

2nd bravest was the first guy to look at a cow and say, "I believe I'll go squeeze those dangly thingies and drink whatever comes out!!"
:unsure::eek:

Conman would disagree with you. The either bravest, or HUNGRIEST man in history, he'd say, was someone who watched a chicken lay an egg, and then ponder if it was edible.

NOT oysters, but one of my fondest memories growing up was my dad taking my brother and me to Sebastion Inlet in Florida. We woke up at like 4 am as it was a 3 hour drive from us. He blew up an inflatable boat, we waded out into the calm coastal waters, and waded in hip/chest high water in ankle deep mud "feeling" for clam shells. They were so plentiful, we would skip the smaller ones. We (my 8year old brother and my 10 year old self) became experts at grabbing with the foot, and transferring them to our hand, into the inflatable boat. My dad would count them, and we'd be on our way home.

We grilled them that evening. It was pretty cool!

My uncle provided oysters the same evening, and we ate them raw. I was taught "chew each oyster one once, then swallow it".

As far as oysters go the MRS and I LOVE them!!! She is cooked only, I can do raw or cooked. Our favorite restaurant in all of Raleigh to get oysters is believe it or not, Hooters. We ask the waitress to ask the cooks to pull them at what they think is 70% steamed (they often over steam them). All we add is some drawn butter and a splash of cocktail sauce.

I have once tested grilling them on my ceramic. Bought a "peck" from Earp's seafood in Raleigh. I had no idea what that meant, but it was around the same $ as a "roastful" at Hooters. The Peck ended up being about 3X the same amount of oysters!

I ended up shucking most of them first, grilling them then adding a concoction of butter, garlic, and some kind of cheese so they cooked to almost done. They were divine! But my GOD the mess it all made!

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Some great stories in this thread, and good memories of family that are no longer with us. Reminds me of me and my dad flounder gigging in Swansboro around 1982.

genbud78

Ten Pointer
You can have my share. Seems like eating a big slimey booger to me. Used to eat oyster stew on occasion as a kid but only the broth. I'm 41 now and would rather eat a hand full of dirt honestly. The only thing I'll eat from the water is shrimp. Aside from that, I'll pass

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

HotSoup

Old Mossy Horns
You can have my share. Seems like eating a big slimey booger to me. Used to eat oyster stew on occasion as a kid but only the broth. I'm 41 now and would rather eat a hand full of dirt honestly. The only thing I'll eat from the water is shrimp. Aside from that, I'll pass

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Oh, so you will eat the cockroaches of the sea.....