Oyster creek ramp

Dingbatter

Four Pointer
I heard that the oyster creek boat ramp had been closed to public due to non payment of ramp fee. Haven't hunted there in years but if you have a permit your boat ride just got a lot longer.

TH80

Eight Pointer
It’s a shame some people can spends thousands to hunt and fish but are to cheap to leave $5 to use someone’s private ramp. If you don’t want to pay go to a public ramp. I’ve always left my money at private ramps except once I forgot when I went out fishing but when I came back in I put the money in the box even though I could have got away with it.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
To play devils advocate. Their signage was terrible like sometimes underwater. The box last time I was there was falling over. Still no excuse However they didn’t do themselves any favors.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
The ramp/property was purchased last year by one of the oyster house owners. He made some improvements to it and posted a new lock box and sign with the rules and fees. You could get a yearly pass for $150 or pay a $10 daily fee which was on the honor system. As mentioned , apparently there weren’t too many honorable people putting in so he did what he had to do. He bought that ramp to make a profit, not because he liked duck hunters and fishermen. I don’t blame him one bit.

WRC is looking into a way to provide public ramp access. They too have to have a way for their techs to get over to the point. Will be interesting to see if they work out some sort of lease or purchase arrangement.

TH7

Eight Pointer
There was some honor boxes broken into by a young man in Pamlico. Cut with bolt cutters. He was caught on camera in the act. I cannot remember if he hit that box.

la angler

Six Pointer
The ramp/property was purchased last year by one of the oyster house owners. He made some improvements to it and posted a new lock box and sign with the rules and fees. You could get a yearly pass for $150 or pay a $10 daily fee which was on the honor system. As mentioned , apparently there weren’t too many honorable people putting in so he did what he had to do. He bought that ramp to make a profit, not because he liked duck hunters and fishermen. I don’t blame him one bit.

WRC is looking into a way to provide public ramp access. They too have to have a way for their techs to get over to the point. Will be interesting to see if they work out some sort of lease or purchase arrangement.
How's the new owner going to make money if it's closed? Duck hunting is only part of his users and only a few months a year hopefully this will be resolved

shurshot

Ten Pointer
A lot of people have already prepaid and will be given a key so I’m told. If you want in, pay the 150 or move on …

How is he going to make any money if it’s closed? Well, with only 1 of 35 boats paying on Tuesday, I’d venture to guess he wasn’t making money anyway.

He’s in a great leverage position now don’t y’all think?

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Well I’m down here now and the latest is there should be an elderly gentleman there to take your money before you launch. WRC was also here today so I’m sure “talks” have started.

coachcornbread

Ten Pointer
Well I’m down here now and the latest is there should be an elderly gentleman there to take your money before you launch. WRC was also here today so I’m sure “talks” have started.
I kinda feel sorry for the locals if the state takes over that ramp. PP is packed enough as it is, let alone if there is a free public ramp there.

cuppednlocked

Ten Pointer
Call me a skeptic but I have difficulty thinking that 1.5 boats paid to launch out of the 32 that used the ramp that day.

$15 is the story given, but who can say if that is actually the amount collected…

If I owned it and wanted to sell it, I’d figure out a way to get the state involved while keeping the upper hand in the negotiations.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Mike, it’s been “free” for quite sometime when you think about it.

Matt, I can verify 22 boats at the ramp around 3:00 am and $15 in the box. My 2 young friends launched there and put 10-$1 bills on the box. The owner came up to them and asked if they’d paid. He said yes, check the box. Sure enough, the 10 bills were there along with a 5. These boys hunt with Marty and me often ….good young men.

Last edited:

bigdrumnc

Ten Pointer
Mike, it’s been “free” for quite sometime when you think about it.

Matt, I can verify 22 boats at the ramp around 3:00 am and $15 in the box. My 2 young friends launched there and put 10-$1 bills on the box. The owner came up to them and asked if they’d paid. He said yes, check the box. Sure enough, the 10 bills were there along with a 5. These boys hunt with Marty and me often ….good young men.
I remember years and years ago that was our tactic. We would pay all in ones and rip the corners off the dollar bills. When scooter would approach us we would have five corners for him. That was almost 30 years ago. One thing is for sure…..nothing ever stays the same. Usually we are the reason for our own demise. I totally agree, if you have a 1500$ shotgun, 1000 $ worth of clothing, a 60 k diesel truck and a 30 k boat……you can pay the man 10$!

Redheadduck

Eight Pointer
I've used this ramp quite a few times over the years, and have always paid. I can guarantee most dont though. I dont personally know the new owner, but I doubt he's interested in selling it to state.

fowlhntr

Six Pointer
Going back a few years. Anyone remember a fellow named Edward Bennett that used to take the money up at that ramp. He was a character and a good person. Typical of the locals there

kahunter

Eight Pointer
That sucks. people suck. I have always said my least favorite thing about duck hunting is other duck hunters. I would shut it down and make it known if you want to play you have to pay. Get in touch ahead of time and pay or you dont get to use the ramp.

CountryRN

Twelve Pointer
The pay to play system should be honored, and as an owner of the ramp he has the right to protect his investment. Unfortunately if something bad happens at the ramp you can rest assured someone is going to point a finger at him. He should be compensated for the liability he has taken on.

Clark

Ten Pointer
Going back a few years. Anyone remember a fellow named Edward Bennett that used to take the money up at that ramp. He was a character and a good person. Typical of the locals there
Mr. Bennett let me park my boat at his place - saved me hauling it 8 hours each trip (y) . Back before cell phones, he told us if we were going to be out all night to leave a twig under the windshield wiper - otherwise he knew we were in trouble and was calling CG. He was sitting at the ramp almost every time we came in.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
Mr. Bennett let me park my boat at his place - saved me hauling it 8 hours each trip (y) . Back before cell phones, he told us if we were going to be out all night to leave a twig under the windshield wiper - otherwise he knew we were in trouble and was calling CG. He was sitting at the ramp almost every time we came in.
Cool beans. Never personally knew him but knew who he was. Nice guy.

Roanoke

Eight Pointer
Last time I went to PP was in college and I think that ramp fee was $3 or $5. Gentlemen in a small truck would sit there and get money out of box as soon as you paid.

Clark

Ten Pointer
WindyTM forecast for Monday is 26 kts with gusts to 44. Went out of Cedar Island a few years back in 40 kt gusts, wayyy too exciting, won't do open water like that again. Don't think I'm making a 15 mile run from Smith Creek or Hobucken :(
Hope the ramp opens back up, I'd hate to miss that weather for my biennial PP hunt. I may only get a permit every couple of years - but it's not worth dying for.

shurshot

Ten Pointer
You might want to call Ivan at the oyster house and ask him what’s the deal in that you’re coming Monday and want to launch. I & M Oysters.