Owl Taxidermy?

roughrider

Six Pointer
Anyone ever gotten an owl done?

Just had a neighbor hit a big ole barred out right in front of my house. Went out there to move it off the road for her and realized it barely looked touched.

Not saying I'd spend the money on something like that, but its gotta be rare to have such a nice specimen, didnt know if anyone else had ever had it done or what others thought of getting something like that done.

Is it something a normal taxi could probably do or more of a specialty?

Just curious more than anything, whats yalls thoughts?

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Call your game warden and tell him you royally f*ed up and didn't know it was illegal to move the owl. He may know of an institute with a permit to have it mounted. Likely reaction will be to tell you to never touch a bird of prey, but since you have, give it a proper burial.

roughrider

Six Pointer
10-4. I did not realize it was illegal to move off the road. Its still laying out there and I had not brought it up to the house or anything.

I will contact and go through the proper channels thanks

roughrider

Six Pointer
Moderators please delete if you would like, apologize for speaking on something I should've known better about.

Finding game wardens number now to properly dispose of the owl.

Thanks guys

bigten

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, highly illegal. And, I concur, leave the post up so others will gain an understanding of what to do and what not to do. Cannot have in your possession any part or combination of parts of any bird of prey. Includes owls, hawks, eagles and maybe something I'm not remembering.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, highly illegal. And, I concur, leave the post up so others will gain an understanding of what to do and what not to do. Cannot have in your possession any part or combination of parts of any bird of prey. Includes owls, hawks, eagles and maybe something I'm not remembering.

Vultures as well...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The alleged Person County deer poachers from last fall who have gotten a handful of continuances were reported to have had ospreys in a freezer where LEOs found some of the venison or racks from poached bucks. They'll probably get hit harder for that than for the spotlighting.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Don't feel alone I've talked to ton people that don't know you can't kill birds of prey I work around majority non hunters lot they don't know they can never figure out why hunt turkey in spring thinking its should be Thanksging time only

spoonriver

Floyd the Barber
I actually know a guy who's eat one. This was during the depression when times were tough. He said his mom had cooked it for the family. Without a doubt he said it was the worst thing he's ever ate.

roughrider

Six Pointer
So what did the Warden say roghrider?
Said he appreciated me calling it in, and said as long as I don't possess any of the animal then I'm ok. Said it was alright to remove the bird from the roadway but to not do anything else with it.

Thanks for the tip last night guys, definitely learned something new and will know now for the future.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I can bet you money some one has read this that didn't know you probably saved someone a ticket somewhere. By way that E. Warren was funny stuff

beard&bow

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I made the mistake a couple years ago. Almost exact same scenario. But, I bagged the owl and contacted a taxidermist. I then immediately contacted the game warden. That's the only reason I knew what you should do. Also, it's the only reason I knew some educational entity may have a permit. According to the gw, it takes about 6 months from applying for the permit, to receiving the permit. So it was unlikely someone had one.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
You can only possess raptor parts and mounts you or someone else legally had prior to 1972 .

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You can only possess raptor parts and mounts you or someone else legally had prior to 1972 .
Native Americans can possess them for certain instances (religious purposes) if they from federally recognized tribes with proper permits.

Reactions: CRC

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
I don’t think they can possess mounts or whole birds but if the op is a tribal member he might inquire about a permit

ellwoodjake

Twelve Pointer
About 30 years ago, I bagged one, after a buddy's bird dog pointed it roosting in a hemlock. Grouse hunters gotta shoot fast! Took it to a taxidermist, who immediately told me to "Get that thing outa here!"