Out of the case accuracy

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’m wondering how many of you tune your bow from year to year? I took my bow (Obession Turmoil) out of the case today shot about 40 times. I ended the session with about a 4” group @ 50 yards. I rarely tune my bow from season to season, but I’m also not shooting hundreds of practice shots either. I’m always pleased with my bow out of the case, so maybe I’m just lucky.

Triggermortis

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Since I have a number of bows and shoot on average 4 x week, they really never “come out of the case.’ I’m as particular as Crackers about them being tuned. One is getting new threads in a week - I’m just waiting on LAS for one thing - then it will be all kinds of tuning going on.......paper, French, bareshaft , nock, walkback, broadhead .....lol....🎯

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I typically get mine out in August and it is as accurate as I am out of the case. Few shots a day over a month or so and I am ready.. the bow was ready when I put it up for the season in December and is still ready now. I on the other hand can typically use a few reps.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
I’m wondering how many of you tune your bow from year to year? I took my bow (Obession Turmoil) out of the case today shot about 40 times. I ended the session with about a 4” group @ 50 yards. I rarely tune my bow from season to season, but I’m also not shooting hundreds of practice shots either. I’m always pleased with my bow out of the case, so maybe I’m just lucky.

Once I started ordering custom strings from reputable builders, the need to re-tune has gone away. Once those strings are broken in, they don't move. I've chased the stock strings on Obsessions, Elites, and Mathews so much that buying custom strings is the first thing I do.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Set it up right the first time, with high quality components, and you don’t have to keep tinkering.

My bow is always better than I am, after 10mos off. I could hunt with it immediately, such is the benefit of shooting the same bow for a long time, but my groups get much tighter after a couple dozen arrows.

Last edited:

Hunting Nut

Old Mossy Horns
Usually, I have already started shooting my bow about 3X a week.
This year, I will probably miss bow season altogether. Not happy about it, just have to deal with it.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Once I started ordering custom strings from reputable builders, the need to re-tune has gone away. Once those strings are broken in, they don't move. I've chased the stock strings on Obsessions, Elites, and Mathews so much that buying custom strings is the first thing I do.

Same here, don't care what brand bow you have the best thing you can do is put a real string on it out of the gate. I replaced my obsession string with a JBK and it's been solid ever since broken in. Factory strings, in my exp. stretch terribly.

BoonDock

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor

thats the case with my bow, I’ve also got an exceptional setup guy. Jonathan at boneyard archery is as good a bow tech as I’ve ever had. He tuned this bow two years ago and it’s been dead nuts ever since.