Out of state Taxidermy question

SomeHuntingGuy

Eight Pointer
Hey folks.

I'm going to have the opportunity to hunt a private farm in Ohio in late oct. If I’m able to connect w one that is a wall hanger for me, Im wondering what the best method would be for getting a shoulder mount? Do most of you guys find a local taxidermy in the state where you shot the animal? I know I can’t bring back spine or brain matter due to CWD, so is an Ohio taxidermist basically my only option? Im driving if that makes a difference.

thanks for answering an out of state newb question.

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Hey folks.

I'm going to have the opportunity to hunt a private farm in Ohio in late oct. If I’m able to connect w one that is a wall hanger for me, Im wondering what the best method would be for getting a shoulder mount? Do most of you guys find a local taxidermy in the state where you shot the animal? I know I can’t bring back spine or brain matter due to CWD, so is an Ohio taxidermist basically my only option? Im driving if that makes a difference.

thanks for answering an out of state newb question.
You can look ahead for a taxidermist that could cape the deer out for you to bring back to NC to be mounted. You could learn to cape one out for yourself also and just bring it on home if your successful.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I had a local taxidermist in Missouri help me with mine last year. I called him on a Sunday morning and he was more than willing to help. I took it up on Sunday and he had it ready to go Monday morning. He measured it, bagged it and numbered it for the trip. He said if we got stopped that they would see his ID number and how it was done and wouldn’t even check it. Great guy and hope to see him again this year. It cost me seventy five dollars but worth every penny. The only reason i didn’t leave it with him was the packing and shipping cost to get it back home. I think it was going to be 250-300 plus the mount cost.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You can look ahead for a taxidermist that could cape the deer out for you to bring back to NC to be mounted. You could learn to cape one out for yourself also and just bring it on home if your successful.
I second this. I paid $100 to have them caped by an out of state taxi for a few years, then I would bring back to NC and have mounted to avoid shipping cost. Cost went up to $250/cape about 5 years ago and with 3-5 guys on that trip every year, I learned to do them myself. Careful with tear ducts but aside from that, you probably already know more about the process than you realize. It's cold enough when/where we hunt that it isn't an issue but having access to a good cooler and some dry ice will make the storing pretty simple if you aren't coming back to NC in short order.

SpellNC9

Six Pointer
I agree with spike...Cape it out yourself. You can watch YouTube videos to get all the key points. Like spike said be carful with the tear ducts, everything else is not that hard.