Out of State Hunt

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Ok so turkey season has just ended, and was without a doubt one of the hardest Iv had in some time. Most of that due to lack of hunting time during NC season. The other half was total lack of birds in my area that used to be a hands down turkey spot. So its got me thinking about a do it yourself out of state hunt on public land. I don't have a lot of money to put into it and would love to do it where I could camp out and be with in a few hours driving distance from the house. Also Im looking for states with a season that starts before ours, due to me being able to be off work easier than when ours is in. Not asking for people to give away there hot spot info but would love to hear from the folks who do stuff like this so I can get as much info as I can. The top two spots Iv been looking at are South Carolina and Tennessee. Any advice would be greatly appreciated .Thank you

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
For everything you said your looking for your already on track the only other one close with what your wanting would be ga. As long as you don't mind pressure any of those will fit your plan. I do these out state hunts every year and been doing so for over 20 years back then it was ball not lot thought a turkey was worth wasting that kind effort on and plenty birds for the taking now you wont get away from pressure if you go during early season and especially if you go on wknds. If you can do weekdays. I would start this summer call some biologists wildlife offices have your questions written down and don't be afraid to ask them for advice. narrow down a state then the public land you want to hit then pull out the maps and find areas away from parking spots or good hike in to area that doesn't have good acres points from other directions. These hunts can be a blast truthfully planning them out is bout half the fun. Manage your expectations most early season hunts you'll be dealing with hens sometimes lot of them. You may or may not kill a bird but what you will do is gain ton of knowledge for next time you go and that's usually when you'll have better luck in killing birds. If you can break away in winter go for little scout trip since states are close.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I think you might do well in the frances marion national forest around the santee cooper lakes. I inquired about that area and talked with some nice forestry folks who allowed as to how they had some birds. It meets your needs on early season versus NC as well. i just never found the time to go.

waymoe1

Ten Pointer
Thanks already for the good info. I would love to get away from people as much as possible, but know that will be hard on public land. Hell last day of the season I was set up on a hot bird on a farm I lease and two damn poachers came sneaking in on my set up. To say the least I was beyond upset, but choose to give them a piece of my mind and a warning and get back to that bird that was gobbling. So Im just wanting to hunt some large tracks of land and get away from home and into some wild places or as wild as they get a few hours from the house.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I would look at Cherokee in Tenn to get away fro people is possible there its like hunting Pisgah or nantahala. Frances Marion has birds but I don't much care for the snakes but if you hunt the swamps in nc its bout same except more gators. That place used be hot till that big hurracaine came through years ago my understanding is that they have done fair amt work trying to get it back I haven't been there since early 2000s