Out of state boondoggles?

SamCo89

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Nothing fancy, but will be down in Southwest GA for Thanksgiving this year(that’s the plan now at least) & looking to get on some public land deer down there. Or maybe a hog, haven’t quite made my mind up.

Got a host from a Ga based podcast that hunts a lot of WMA’s down there, offered to drop some crumbs my way.. I’ve been a e-scouting fool here lately.. 😂

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well,, one of my 2022 hunts (Canada) I thought would slide to 2023 due to no hunting last season, quotas, the bumping of hunters caused by 2020, etc,,,,

just got the email that I can slide that 2022 boondoggle to 2021, maybe,,,,,, dates line up nicely (except for a dog test, but can do that next year),,,, decisions decisions,,,

just got an email that the folks in canada sent to all of this years hunters on border crossing and "quarantine contingency plan",.,,, one step closer,,, won't know till mid sept or so, but the kid in me get's excited :party:

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Not really a boondoggle, but I’ll be in north Ga for the ML opener. Pre planned trip, just happened to check season dates… Walk out the door and hunt deal. Might even shoot one while I’m sitting on the porch🤷‍♂️

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Not really a boondoggle, but I’ll be in north Ga for the ML opener. Pre planned trip, just happened to check season dates… Walk out the door and hunt deal. Might even shoot one while I’m sitting on the porch🤷‍♂️
I’ve killed a few in Ga with the smoke pole. It’s hot down there during ML…lol

Or at least it can be anyway

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Colorado elk tag came last week, Wyoming deer tag came while I was out there a few weeks ago and dad wants to go to Missouri so I’m taking him out to where I hunted the other year for rifle season. Got my hand on some of the copper Federal Bor-Loks and they shot good out of my grandpa’s Optima with my Blackhorn breech plug I swapped out from my Acura and 100 grains of BH209. Had to buy sights for it which came in this week, so I’ll get them put on and sight them in and shoot Saturday. Scrambling to get this muzzleloader setup but it’s all coming together, everything else is practically ready to throw in the truck after I organized it last weekend. 17 days to go til I’m chasing elk.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Colorado elk tag came last week, Wyoming deer tag came while I was out there a few weeks ago and dad wants to go to Missouri so I’m taking him out to where I hunted the other year for rifle season. Got my hand on some of the copper Federal Bor-Loks and they shot good out of my grandpa’s Optima with my Blackhorn breech plug I swapped out from my Acura and 100 grains of BH209. Had to buy sights for it which came in this week, so I’ll get them put on and sight them in and shoot Saturday. Scrambling to get this muzzleloader setup but it’s all coming together, everything else is practically ready to throw in the truck after I organized it last weekend. 17 days to go til I’m chasing elk.
The BorLoks awesome

tinker with your load. 110 grains of blackhorn was the best for mine shooting at 200 yards.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Iron sights installed last night and sighted in this morning. 1.5-2” group at 75 with regular buckhorn style fiber optic iron sights, I’ll take that all day long as someone that’s never really shot anything more than my .22 and pistols with iron sights. I’m a fan of these bor-loks, now to hopefully see how they perform on an elk. Opening day in Colorado in 2 weeks!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Iron sights installed last night and sighted in this morning. 1.5-2” group at 75 with regular buckhorn style fiber optic iron sights, I’ll take that all day long as someone that’s never really shot anything more than my .22 and pistols with iron sights. I’m a fan of these bor-loks, now to hopefully see how they perform on an elk. Opening day in Colorado in 2 weeks!
You should put some electrical tape over your fibers. They can blur you in high sun.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
My next Colorado musket hunt will be with a silhouette and peep sight. Like a Buffalo sight.
the buck horns don’t do right for long range.
That’s what I wanted to do but didn’t have the time to wait for a peep and globe to get back in stock and get here. Might just have to buy a separate muzzleloader that’s legal for those western states with different rules.