Out of state boondoggles?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Just so you guys know. Everyone that has western plans this fall is itching like a junkie on payday
Yea I’m going crazy looking at maps, studying access points etc. I’ve already researched the crap out of this, but there’s nothing else for me to do but wait. I don’t know why I spend so much time staring at maps and picking out spots. When I get there, I will probably find animals in a completely different spot and never go to the ones I marked on my maps!!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Spent some time e-scouting this week, already have way more waypoints than I can look at but also was able to scratch off like 75% of the region too of stuff that wasn’t what I wanted to hunt or didn’t look like mule deer or whitetail habitat. Still will keep my eyes open when driving through those areas, but not gonna spend time throughly combing them over. West bound now in the Ford.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Yea I’m going crazy looking at maps, studying access points etc. I’ve already researched the crap out of this, but there’s nothing else for me to do but wait. I don’t know why I spend so much time staring at maps and picking out spots. When I get there, I will probably find animals in a completely different spot and never go to the ones I marked on my maps!!
Call biologists and wardens now. They are bored sitting in the AC somewhere before bow season starts. I marked 3 spots last year and all three produced elk.
Butttttt. I did that 4 years ago and didn’t kill a thing!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Pic dump from today. After that loop this morning I was pretty much spent, did walk a piece of land this evening with much better moisture. Cut big fresh elk tracks coming off the mountain and found their owners when I was walking the two track back to the truck. Had a herd of 5 bulls pile off the side of the mountain and run in between me and the truck about 3-400 yards from me. Lead bull was a tank of a 6x6 and there was another big 6x6 in the group along with an absolute tank of a 5x5. 6x6’s were easily 300”+ and that 5x5 had huge 4ths, like 14”’or more.

Attachments

• 342E96FC-93D1-46C4-BA6F-DF195AB7F8D3.jpeg
    342E96FC-93D1-46C4-BA6F-DF195AB7F8D3.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 9
  • E1F4A661-475E-4230-B0AB-940B44E9B059.jpeg
    E1F4A661-475E-4230-B0AB-940B44E9B059.jpeg
    120.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 087EE3E2-ACFA-4A6C-86EF-42C0F254D342.jpeg
    087EE3E2-ACFA-4A6C-86EF-42C0F254D342.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 0F737989-567B-4E9E-82C4-47568503F2B3.jpeg
    0F737989-567B-4E9E-82C4-47568503F2B3.jpeg
    131.1 KB · Views: 9

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Call biologists and wardens now. They are bored sitting in the AC somewhere before bow season starts. I marked 3 spots last year and all three produced elk.
Butttttt. I did that 4 years ago and didn’t kill a thing!
Talked to the bios already. Area I am hunting is crawling with mule deer. It’s not a trophy unit, but I’m hoping to tag a decent buck. A nice 3x3 or 4x4. But I ain’t afraid to whack a forkie either!!

Waiting on the Colorado left over list to see what cow elk tags are available. I know the unit I am deer hunting won’t have any, but I think the unit directly south of me will. I’ve got 7-8 days of hunting lined up. If I tag a mulie early, I ain’t coming home early!!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Found the deer today, ended up seeing 20 on public this morning with 7 of those bucks (4 legal and 3 of those possible shooters for myself, definitely shooters for the other guys as they’ve never tagged a mulie). This afternoon I just happened to drive to the end of one county road I hadn’t planned on driving out. Glad I did, found some nice looking state land and took a nice loop around it in the 100 degree heat. Walking back to the truck a big 3x3 stood up under a lone pine tree about 100 yards from me. No doubt shooter for this tag even being a barely legal 3 pt. At the bar now.

Attachments

• 8A9D7142-9026-408C-A7D6-FBB8E7984BFD.jpeg
    8A9D7142-9026-408C-A7D6-FBB8E7984BFD.jpeg
    144 KB · Views: 8
  • 7200E6DD-D373-4FEA-AB01-87C3204F7291.jpeg
    7200E6DD-D373-4FEA-AB01-87C3204F7291.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 8E038188-26F0-4459-899A-A55E4B157E57.jpeg
    8E038188-26F0-4459-899A-A55E4B157E57.jpeg
    94 KB · Views: 9
  • 16EC3ABA-E575-4D70-8E38-6CCBD6106A86.jpeg
    16EC3ABA-E575-4D70-8E38-6CCBD6106A86.jpeg
    81.7 KB · Views: 9

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
well,, one of my 2022 hunts (Canada) I thought would slide to 2023 due to no hunting last season, quotas, the bumping of hunters caused by 2020, etc,,,,

just got the email that I can slide that 2022 boondoggle to 2021, maybe,,,,,, dates line up nicely (except for a dog test, but can do that next year),,,, decisions decisions,,,

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
well,, one of my 2022 hunts (Canada) I thought would slide to 2023 due to no hunting last season, quotas, the bumping of hunters caused by 2020, etc,,,,

just got the email that I can slide that 2022 boondoggle to 2021, maybe,,,,,, dates line up nicely (except for a dog test, but can do that next year),,,, decisions decisions,,,
I would go!! Who knows what 2022 will bring.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Go hunt.
Who knows what virus the midterm elections will bring.
More doom and gloom fear tactics for the sheeple is a safe bet. Another variant, more mask mandates, more pressure for vax's. It wouldn't surprise me if the Canadian government flip flopped on the border opening before it even opens since all the whacktards in Cali are reinstating the lock down protocol.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Colorado left over list is out. I see a cow elk tag I am going to snag up. Shouldn't be a problem there are plenty of them so I am not even going to try and fight the mad rush when left over day opens next week.

Last year on left over day I was trying to operate two computers at the exact same time to make sure Dad and I got the same tags!!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Oh the AGONY!!

I decided to fight the online hoards on Colorado left over day. I noticed a tag on there that normally takes 8 pts to draw. There were two of them available. I figured no way in heck I would even have chance but I was going to log in and try.

Get logged in and get ready. I hit the proceed button right at 11:00, knowing that I was going to be thousands back in the queue. NOPE, I went straight to the page to pick your tags. I frantically typed in the tag code. Hit enter. HOLY CRAP BATMAN THE TAG IS AVAILABLE. I click the box to purchase the tag. I click the "I am not a robot" and verify the stupid images. Click Proceed and MY INTERNET CRASHES!!

Oh cruel world, how dare you allow me to have a glimmer of hope.

By the time my internet came back online the tag was long gone.

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
Oh the AGONY!!

I decided to fight the online hoards on Colorado left over day. I noticed a tag on there that normally takes 8 pts to draw. There were two of them available. I figured no way in heck I would even have chance but I was going to log in and try.

Get logged in and get ready. I hit the proceed button right at 11:00, knowing that I was going to be thousands back in the queue. NOPE, I went straight to the page to pick your tags. I frantically typed in the tag code. Hit enter. HOLY CRAP BATMAN THE TAG IS AVAILABLE. I click the box to purchase the tag. I click the "I am not a robot" and verify the stupid images. Click Proceed and MY INTERNET CRASHES!!

That is awful! We go thru that now and then with some small music festivals love.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Oh the AGONY!!

Dang man! I had 12 pm on the mind and not 11. Jumped on real quick when I realized my mistake without looking at leftover list to see if muzzleloader tag I wanted was available. No issues logging on but those 9 tags went fast lol. Oh well, gonna look at reissue list next week and see if anything is on there I want to try for. Otherwise come September I’m headed back to SD to chase pronghorn with the bow, was a blast last year and much cheaper than a Colorado tag. Post a final recap and some pics from Wyoming tonight.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
My sheep tag came in the mail yesterday. What a gorgeous sight that was. It felt like I was floating on air walking back up to the house. Still can't believe it.

Something tells me that floating feeling won't be around when I have to climb those hills. :ROFLMAO:

well, you will do well,,,, hunting athlete that you are (y)

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Looks like I won’t be flying solo this year. Dad had a trip to Israel planned but it’s been cancelled to COVID. So he’s gonna roll out with me. No mule deer tag for him but the unit and surrounding units are OTC elk so he will grab a bull tag.

This makes my wife happy. She wasn’t too keen on me going by myself. Makes me happy, too. I wasn’t looking forward to 27 hours of driving alone. Also, any chance to spend time with pops is a win.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Realized I never updated the end of my trip. Headed up on this isolated mountain range and glassed/spent the night at 9000'. Found the elk up there (wish I had 13 points!) and me and a small buck surprised the hell out of each other at 10 yards when I was walking back to camp to fix dinner. Also had a big bodied deer cross the road right at the truck when walking back to camp after glassing again after dinner. Thursday was spent above 10k' fishing some alpine lake unsuccessfully and waiting on a hail storm. Temp dropped to 46 degrees at 4 pm after that storm. All in all a fun trip and at the very least I have good recon on access, what roads are good to go on, which areas of the units have good feed/moisture and summer range for the deer. I feel good about October and just need them to get an inch of rain out there this month and next to keep things somewhat green. Gonna try to snag one of two Colorado reissued muzzleloader elk tags tomorrow. Also have 90% chance of heading to Missouri for rifle season in November since dad wants to go, he just needs to confirm he can. Busy Fall ahead!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Well I’m headed elk hunting in Colorado come September. Didn’t snag one of the tags I was shooting for but 3 unit 14 muzzleloader tags were still there for the taking and that was one of the ones I had in the second tier of the list I made last night. So if anyone is gonna be in 14 or 214 Sept 11-19 let’s try to meet up (looking at you @Wildlifer).

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Well I’m headed elk hunting in Colorado come September. Didn’t snag one of the tags I was shooting for but 3 unit 14 muzzleloader tags were still there for the taking and that was one of the ones I had in the second tier of the list I made last night. So if anyone is gonna be in 14 or 214 Sept 11-19 let’s try to meet up (looking at you @Wildlifer).
Ahhhh. Nice man I’m still house hunting! I will likely be there working tho! Give me a call if you need help packing!

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Bowhunted GMU 14 2016-2017. I will shoot you a PM. Been a few years so the info may be worthless but it could give you a place to start. Just be aware, deadfall in that are is BAD!

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
We messed around there a little last year. Can’t say we learned enough to give any helpful hints. Y’all just go ahead and send me your e-scouting areas for me to ground check.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Bowhunted GMU 14 2016-2017. I will shoot you a PM. Been a few years so the info may be worthless but it could give you a place to start. Just be aware, deadfall in that are is BAD!
Yea I’ve heard about the bad deadfall before. I’m open to any past info, much appreciated. Sat down and started some e-scouting last night. Already have 214 pretty much covered and an area in the southern end of 14 I like. Formulating a game plan consisting of avoiding trailhead and focusing on boundaries (whether it be unit, public/private or wilderness/non-wilderness).

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
We messed around there a little last year. Can’t say we learned enough to give any helpful hints. Y’all just go ahead and send me your e-scouting areas for me to ground check.
I might actually do that, you can go get a bull on the ground opening day of archery and report back to me that my hunch was right 😂