Out of state boondoggles?

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
My credit card was hit for the cost of a non-resident deer tag in Colorado. I'm chasing mulies in Colorado this November!!

I am definitely relieved. Normally, this tag would be a no sweat to draw. But, with the primo season dates, point creep and the increase in applicants this year and the fact that CPW actually reduced the number of tags in this unit, I was a little worried. My history on slam dunk draws is pretty bad, so glad to see I got it.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
My credit card was hit for the cost of a non-resident deer tag in Colorado. I'm chasing mulies in Colorado this November!!

I am definitely relieved. Normally, this tag would be a no sweat to draw. But, with the primo season dates, point creep and the increase in applicants this year and the fact that CPW actually reduced the number of tags in this unit, I was a little worried. My history on slam dunk draws is pretty bad, so glad to see I got it.

Awesome man! Which season?

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
You’ve spurred me into action. I just called my bike guy in Colorado and reserved 6 for the 3rd season. We’re gonna hit them hard in the desert again before those idiots drop wolves in that valley.

Man, killing me. Might have to tail you all the way out there 😂.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Man, killing me. Might have to tail you all the way out there 😂.
Sooooo...
There might be a “crowd” going. Two different groups of 4-6 in two camps but hunting as one. I’m doing a cabin again. It was nice to have hot food and shower and cold beer. The hiking and driving required to get to and from the elk was tough though. I think the other group is going to camp on BLM somewhere nearby.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Get a sharps peep for your musket if you go for Colorado pronghorn. I took my fibers and I had to tape the insert to see during midday.

My next Colorado musket will have a long range peep.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Didn’t plan it - was really just throwing a hail
Mary and expecting a preference point - but got Mule Deer Buck during the Rut in Colorado.

Probably gonna freeze my butt off - but should be fun. Brother tagged this one in the same zone last year View attachment 67162

looks like he shot it in somebody’s backyard/ storage lot!

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Good luck! I hunted elk with a ml twice when I lived in Colo. two of most fun hunts I’ve ever done.
My first elk hunt was a backpack trip into the West Elk wilderness when I was 15 with my dad. We rode our old atv to the wilderness line and packed over a pass or two into a giant aspen basin and killed a bull together the 3rd day. Called him in and shot on the count of 3 at 125 yards. Wont ever forget it.

After this fall rifle hunt we are all Going to burn our 5-7 points in a year or two and go on the best musket hunt we can snag as a group and get horsed in for a wall tent family hunt for my dad and his best buddy.
Y’all gimme some suggestions.
A mountain musket hunt in CO with a 4 point group average....

I only really hunt south of 70

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
4 point min in group.

We’re trying to get this pack In musket hunt done with dad then I’m coming back to hunt with my buddy on his 18-21 point hunt.

So this year is rifle in the desert. Next year or the next is a musket hunt. Then in a year or two it’s a badass 20 point bull hunt somewhere

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I’d look and see if any archery draw units (besides the SW ones they just made draw units and basically are OTC with a quota) can be drawn at 4 pts for muzzleloader. Probably gonna need to looks for ones on the report that were drawn out at 2 pts this year just to account for creep. That strategy if it worked would help limit the amount of pressure to a known value in regard to tag holders.

Randy

Ten Pointer
All my ifo is dated since I haven’t hunted Colo since I moved back to NC in 2001. However, I can tell you where to go if you’re looking for high and rugged. I know the mountains haven’t changed since then.

I’ve got 7 pts myself I need to figure out what to do with before I get too old to use them.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I’m sort of in the same boat. Sitting in the weird spot with points. I don’t want to burn points for a muzzleloader hunt in an OTC archery unit. I will be spending the next year or two sifting through draw odds trying to decide where I want to dump my elk points.