Out of state boondoggles?

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
I just picked a few states/species to focus on and went from there.

I do points in Colorado, Wyoming and Arizona. Elk in all, mule deer and pronghorn in Co and Wyoming.

Then New Mexico for multiple species because it’s completely random.

Also will throw in for something in Alaska every year because it’s random (like a bison hunt).
probably going to get the gohunt thing for at least the year to help figure it out. but knowing which states are random does help.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
probably going to get the gohunt thing for at least the year to help figure it out. but knowing which states are random does help.
Just be realistic with your expectations. There are some units you will never catch. The glory tag hunts in Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado etc are out of reach for someone just starting out (barring a major draw restructure).

And don’t waste your time with Utah, the entire STATE is out of reach.

Neveda is hit or miss due to it having a “random” factor. Everyone gets a shot in Neveda draw, but the more points you have, the more chances you get. Theoretically, you could draw Neveda year one, but doubtful.

Loganwayne

Ten Pointer
Just be realistic with your expectations. There are some units you will never catch. The glory tag hunts in Arizona, Wyoming, Colorado etc are out of reach for someone just starting out (barring a major draw restructure).

And don’t waste your time with Utah, the entire STATE is out of reach.

Neveda is hit or miss due to it having a “random” factor. Everyone gets a shot in Neveda draw, but the more points you have, the more chances you get. Theoretically, you could draw Neveda year one, but doubtful.
like I said I'm just wanting to get out and hunt and experience new places. My house is currently under contract and have contemplated using some money from it to do a guided archery elk while building points and waiting to get drawn for other tags.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
That is a good plan. It really does not take much to go on a better than OTC hunt especially here in CO. There are 40 units that you have a 50% chance or better at drawing an archery tag with 2 points for Elk and 105 units for 1st rifle. If you want to go to Wyoming its 3-4 points for a general tag so you could be hunting CO or WY 3 out of 4 years or potentially every year if you find no point draw hunts in CO. All of that would be generally better than OTC hunts.

np307

Ten Pointer
That is a good plan. It really does not take much to go on a better than OTC hunt especially here in CO. There are 40 units that you have a 50% chance or better at drawing an archery tag with 2 points for Elk and 105 units for 1st rifle. If you want to go to Wyoming its 3-4 points for a general tag so you could be hunting CO or WY 3 out of 4 years or potentially every year if you find no point draw hunts in CO. All of that would be generally better than OTC hunts.
Thats assuming point draws stay stagnant which everybody knows isn't happening. WY Gen is moving at least .5 points each year.

Wildlifer

Old Mossy Horns
Your right there. For being a general tag Wyoming is creeping pretty fast IMO. Likely just a sign of the times as more and more places become restricted. At least for now there are enough no point and low point draws in CO to be hunting often without falling back on OTC. This is especially true if you target less desirable tags in the unit you are looking at for a potential trophy.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I will have elk hunted Colorado 3 years after this season and have not had an OTC tag yet nor applied for a tag, leftover and reissues are great especially since I have late notice schedule flexibility. Colorado elk and deer, WY elk, deer and antelope are my points I hold. NM elk and Barbary sheep because it’s no points and random draw. Keep meaning to jump in the Arizona game as well as SD deer. Montana I go back and forth on because their deer and elk management makes NF timber management in NC look amazing. I know timekiller would disagree but an Utah general deer I personally believe can be drawn in 5 years, especially archery. Nevada archery deer can also be had without waiting a ton of years. Granted these aren’t primo units but it gets you tag and out hunting which is half the battle (as long as their are animals on land you can hunt). I’ve been doing this 5 years now and just now got GoHunt this year, that was mainly due to me deciding last minute to maybe apply for WY antelope and I wanted the quickest way to go through units and draw odds without my usual “pull the data myself off draw reports”.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I will have elk hunted Colorado 3 years after this season and have not had an OTC tag yet nor applied for a tag, leftover and reissues are great especially since I have late notice schedule flexibility. Colorado elk and deer, WY elk, deer and antelope are my points I hold. NM elk and Barbary sheep because it’s no points and random draw. Keep meaning to jump in the Arizona game as well as SD deer. Montana I go back and forth on because their deer and elk management makes NF timber management in NC look amazing. I know timekiller would disagree but an Utah general deer I personally believe can be drawn in 5 years, especially archery. Nevada archery deer can also be had without waiting a ton of years. Granted these aren’t primo units but it gets you tag and out hunting which is half the battle (as long as their are animals on land you can hunt). I’ve been doing this 5 years now and just now got GoHunt this year, that was mainly due to me deciding last minute to maybe apply for WY antelope and I wanted the quickest way to go through units and draw odds without my usual “pull the data myself off draw reports”.
I go back and forth on Montana, myself. Honestly, not super interested in elk hunting there. But I have some buddies who draw deer tags every year and they shoot some whoppers in a general unit. Really the only thing that truly interests me in Montana is the unlimited sheep. I’m going to do it in the next couple years.

I should have clarified on Utah. I meant the draw elk units are out of reach. They have some general units and spike tags that are easy to get but I have heard they are absolute :donk:donk:donk:donk shows. The general deer units I have heard offer decent hunts.

Colorado and Wyoming offer really good chances for hunting either yearly or every 2-3 years on decent tags.

Arizona is my 5 year plan state, although I’m sitting on year 6 without a tag. Maybe next year. Not looking at a glory unit there, just a late archery or late rifle hunt.

Idaho could be another place to look. But I factor in drive time. 36-40 hours of driving doesn’t make sense to me when I can drive 24 hours to Colorado or Wyoming and hunt.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I go back and forth on Montana, myself. Honestly, not super interested in elk hunting there. But I have some buddies who draw deer tags every year and they shoot some whoppers in a general unit. Really the only thing that truly interests me in Montana is the unlimited sheep. I’m going to do it in the next couple years.

I should have clarified on Utah. I meant the draw elk units are out of reach. They have some general units and spike tags that are easy to get but I have heard they are absolute :donk:donk:donk:donk shows. The general deer units I have heard offer decent hunts.

Colorado and Wyoming offer really good chances for hunting either yearly or every 2-3 years on decent tags.

Arizona is my 5 year plan state, although I’m sitting on year 6 without a tag. Maybe next year. Not looking at a glory unit there, just a late archery or late rifle hunt.

Idaho could be another place to look. But I factor in drive time. 36-40 hours of driving doesn’t make sense to me when I can drive 24 hours to Colorado or Wyoming and hunt.

Yea I mainly want to chase deer in Montana. I wish that would break out the deer tags into whitetail and mule deer because I’d go chase whitetails there in a heartbeat. Utah guys I talked to at the Park City TAC back in July were good info sources on the general deer and elk stuff. I want to go to Idaho but it’s hard for even me to commit to buying s tag Dec 1st for the following year. If you don’t do it when they open it up for purchase you are missing out anymore. Annoying to say the least.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
I'm back from my annual boondoggle. This year was archery elk in the Flattops Wilderness in Colorado. We hired an outfitter to take us in by vehicle to a trailhead and then he horse-packed our gear in to a "remote" camp. We were told that we'd not see another soul in this secluded area-not. We packed in on Friday and all was well until Monday afternoon. We had 6 different hunters stroll through camp within a 3-hour period. To make matters worse, there were no elk. Even though the third week is supposed to be the height of the rut, we heard one bugle on the first evening. All was quiet after that. There was no fresh sign in the basin we were camped in so we had to go up and over the top to the next basin to find any sign. This hunt was a total bust. Out of the 8 hunters booked with this outfitter, we were the only ones to see an elk. By far the worst elk hunt I've ever had. Thankfully, we got home in one piece just in time to prepare for the hurricane. Here's hoping the rest of you have better experiences than me.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
I'm back from my annual boondoggle. This year was archery elk in the Flattops Wilderness in Colorado. We hired an outfitter to take us in by vehicle to a trailhead and then he horse-packed our gear in to a "remote" camp. We were told that we'd not see another soul in this secluded area-not. We packed in on Friday and all was well until Monday afternoon. We had 6 different hunters stroll through camp within a 3-hour period. To make matters worse, there were no elk. Even though the third week is supposed to be the height of the rut, we heard one bugle on the first evening. All was quiet after that. There was no fresh sign in the basin we were camped in so we had to go up and over the top to the next basin to find any sign. This hunt was a total bust. Out of the 8 hunters booked with this outfitter, we were the only ones to see an elk. By far the worst elk hunt I've ever had. Thankfully, we got home in one piece just in time to prepare for the hurricane. Here's hoping the rest of you have better experiences than me.
Sorry to hear that.

The flattops is a beautiful area. But after my experience there last year, I will never return for an elk hunt. It’s sad because it just looks like perfect elk country, but the amount of pressure in the area is horrendous.

NCbowjunkie

Ten Pointer
Sorry to hear that.

The flattops is a beautiful area. But after my experience there last year, I will never return for an elk hunt. It’s sad because it just looks like perfect elk country, but the amount of pressure in the area is horrendous.
Hunted the flattops once also. Mine was a diy hunt did the guide take you back up a keep trail that had a lake at the end where the wilderness area started. I did get to see 1 small but legal elk that was killed at a beaver pond but sign wasn’t there

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor

heard that kind of story way to may times reference "drop camps",,,

why I don't use them

I'd rather have a sucky hunt on my own

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
heard that kind of story way to may times reference "drop camps",,,

why I don't use them

I'd rather have a sucky hunt on my own
I’m the same way. If a DIY hunt sucks then it’s my own fault and I saved money.

But I am researching a couple hunts over the next 2-5 years that will require me to have a guide/outfitter and reading all the horror stories it worries me trying to find a good one.

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
The guy we used is new to outfitting (3rd season) and came highly recommended. I think he did his best to pivot due to weird draw results for his main unit. It seems when Colorado changed several units to draw from OTC, it caused overcrowding in the remaining OTC units. We booked this hunt early last year with the anticipation of hunting the draw unit this year. Unfortunately, my buddies and I did not draw, in fact, 80% of the outfitters clients did not draw his primary unit.
We have been on the DIY train now for several years. We decided to change areas due to overcrowding in the MT units we usually hunt-bad decision I guess. However, given our ages 71-59, we elected to get our gear packed in to save our legs for hunting. This was my first time hunting CO and as others have said, the flattops are a beautiful place. Ourselves and the outfitter underestimated the resourcefulness of other elk hunters. The place we hunted is remote. A full 3 hour drive on gravel and two-track to the trailhead. It was by far the most treacherous, gut-wrenching ride through the mountains that I've ever experienced. Who'd a thunk that so many other hunters would be crazy enough to risk life and limb to access this place.
We have a bunch of points in WY, so next year we should be hunting a limited unit where we'll likely see more grizzly bears than hunters.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
The guy we used is new to outfitting (3rd season) and came highly recommended. I think he did his best to pivot due to weird draw results for his main unit. It seems when Colorado changed several units to draw from OTC, it caused overcrowding in the remaining OTC units. We booked this hunt early last year with the anticipation of hunting the draw unit this year. Unfortunately, my buddies and I did not draw, in fact, 80% of the outfitters clients did not draw his primary unit.
We have been on the DIY train now for several years. We decided to change areas due to overcrowding in the MT units we usually hunt-bad decision I guess. However, given our ages 71-59, we elected to get our gear packed in to save our legs for hunting. This was my first time hunting CO and as others have said, the flattops are a beautiful place. Ourselves and the outfitter underestimated the resourcefulness of other elk hunters. The place we hunted is remote. A full 3 hour drive on gravel and two-track to the trailhead. It was by far the most treacherous, gut-wrenching ride through the mountains that I've ever experienced. Who'd a thunk that so many other hunters would be crazy enough to risk life and limb to access this place.
We have a bunch of points in WY, so next year we should be hunting a limited unit where we'll likely see more grizzly bears than hunters.
I saw 5th wheel campers hauled 4-5 miles down rutted out FS roads in the flattops. I drove down one road, it took me 45 min, not towing anything, to go 3 miles on this road. When I got to the end, there were 14 horse trailers and/or 5th wheels there!! It had to have taken them all day to pull those things up that road.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I saw 5th wheel campers hauled 4-5 miles down rutted out FS roads in the flattops. I drove down one road, it took me 45 min, not towing anything, to go 3 miles on this road. When I got to the end, there were 14 horse trailers and/or 5th wheels there!! It had to have taken them all day to pull those things up that road.
Saw the same thing north of Steamboat last year, how and why they did that I have no clue. It’s called a tent and a cot, much easier to deal with when it comes to that. We will see what kinda cluster awaits in the Flattops in 2 weeks, all I know is I plan to be mobile.

Fatkid

Eight Pointer
I’m getting pumped up for my trip to Wyoming next month! Finally getting the last few pieces of gear together and got the new to me gun dialed in.

I decided on a white duck bell shaped tent. Set it up in the yard and it seems to be a really good quality tent that should be good for quite a few boondoggles!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
In Western KY getting gas currently after leaving at 9 this morning, this year’s Colorado Elk adventure has begun. Grab a hotel in Kansas tonight and should be pulling into units we can hunt by 3 tomorrow afternoon, will give us an evening and 2 full days to scout before the 1st season rifle opener on Saturday.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Forgot to update, no luck 1st season. Pushed myself to stalk timber which I hate but learned a lot and had some encounters. If I had a cow tag I would have tagged out opening day at 2 pm, stalked up on one at 60 yards. Squirrely thermals got me the second to last morning on that mountain, pretty sure I busted a bull out that was bedded about 100 yards from me. Found a dead rag horn from archery season in a burn. Ended up on some lower elevation BLM the last two days and had them bugling on the state land beside it I couldn’t hunt (was leased by a rancher or outfitter). Fun times.
2629B183-F8F0-4122-9D68-46488DED4ECE.jpeg
64A19FF6-77A9-4097-9F0C-3EF890F7D854.jpeg
7AEB43F0-B987-4498-BA92-C490D72A9D52.jpeg
9467570B-2AB5-4974-925C-967DA687D1D7.jpeg

truthbetold

Four Pointer
Where’s all the western reports?!?!?
I know someone’s out there for 2nd season?
My buddy and I had 1st season bear and bull elk tags. Filled one of each with midday hunts. Most guys were out of their spots by 10 am and didn't go back until 3:30 pm.

This was about as close to OTC as you can get. Thousands of tags in a big area. Only bull I heard anyone have a shot at was my 4x4. 2nd year hunting elk and a legal bull was not going to be passed up.

Attachments

• 20221016_173142.jpg
    20221016_173142.jpg
    382.2 KB · Views: 48
  • 20221015_132309.jpg
    20221015_132309.jpg
    390.4 KB · Views: 48

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
My buddy and I had 1st season bear and bull elk tags. Filled one of each with midday hunts. Most guys were out of their spots by 10 am and didn't go back until 3:30 pm.

This was about as close to OTC as you can get. Thousands of tags in a big area. Only bull I heard anyone have a shot at was my 4x4. 2nd year hunting elk and a legal bull was not going to be passed up.
Darn right. Good killing. I’m with you. First legal bull gets shot.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer

Bet we had the same tag. Good job man!

smilliganqb

Eight Pointer
Headed to Missouri Friday morning for the rifle opener Saturday, pulling out at 3am. Keep getting more and more excited because Everytime I check the weather forecast it's getting colder and colder. High for Saturday is 37 and a low of 18! Hunting Saturday-Tuesday. Will post a thread about the trip.