Out of State Boondoggles

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
Got a moose hunt now booked, figured last minute planning, doing the fly in trip to that spot i had mentioned previously. Borders are now closed till at least August 21 so no quick trips anywhere, might head up to my property to do some work and try for a bear, but its a 24hr drive

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
Got a moose hunt now booked, figured last minute planning, doing the fly in trip to that spot i had mentioned previously.

I expect a scouting report for next year's trip,,,,which reminds me, better start locking folks in,,,

(deleted long paragraph cause I went on a US politics rant - sorry)

also what 2 or 3 lures that lake likes (northern, walleye, whatever),,,

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
mister twister yellow or white jigs for the eyes
spinners, dare devil, top water plugs for pike, they will pretty much hit anything and everything, missed a giant pike last time i was there, it smashed, and i mean completely smashed the 2 pound walleye i was reeling in - an amazing thing to behold right beside the boat

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
mister twister yellow or white jigs for the eyes
spinners, dare devil, top water plugs for pike, they will pretty much hit anything and everything, missed a giant pike last time i was there, it smashed, and i mean completely smashed the 2 pound walleye i was reeling in - an amazing thing to behold right beside the boat

what I figured,,,break out my "northern Wisconsin" fishing experience and I'll be A-OK,,,,

daredevils are the HEAT

love pike fishing,,,

DeerManager

Eight Pointer
Y’all got some trips lined up. I will staying in N.C this year, like most of my years I been hunting. I will be striking out daily around day break to go to work. Then returning home with just enough light to see to get in the house without a flashlight. What an adventure I have in store for me. 😂 ....seriously, good luck to y’all on the trips.

JJWise

Twelve Pointer
Another year of buying points in Wyoming. Now have 2 for deer, 2 for elk and 2 for antelope. Hoping to cash in my deer or antelope points next fall. Making a few trips home to WV for some holidays and weddings this fall (if we haven’t moved back by then) so I’ll be doing some hunting there. Might be doing a little traveling for ducks this year as well.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
Alabama for the holidays, and just lined up a trip to Texas for hogs and any exotics that may meander on to the place we are hunting. My soon to be father in law hit me up out of the blue and asked if I’d be interested in going to his friends ranch to hunt. Considering the cheap license cost if you aren’t hunting whitetail/mule deer, it looks like this will be a fun way to fill the freezer and maybe get a shot at something that we can’t find here in the Carolinas.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
Alabama for the holidays, and just lined up a trip to Texas for hogs and any exotics that may meander on to the place we are hunting. My soon to be father in law hit me up out of the blue and asked if I’d be interested in going to his friends ranch to hunt. Considering the cheap license cost if you aren’t hunting whitetail/mule deer, it looks like this will be a fun way to fill the freezer and maybe get a shot at something that we can’t find here in the Carolinas.
Triple like. I’d like a real big ranch to hunt exotics that are actually a little wild.

Ceehawk37

Ten Pointer
I agree App. I’ve watched waaay too many hunting shows where the “exotics” didn’t seem very wild. From what I lm told, if we see any on this guys place, they are fair game because they’ve escaped someone else’s high fence. This place we are going is basically open ground. I don’t fault folks for going to the high fence places, just doesn’t interest me. I get more enjoyment out of hunting public ground than private anyway so maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment lol.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
I agree App. I’ve watched waaay too many hunting shows where the “exotics” didn’t seem very wild. From what I lm told, if we see any on this guys place, they are fair game because they’ve escaped someone else’s high fence. This place we are going is basically open ground. I don’t fault folks for going to the high fence places, just doesn’t interest me. I get more enjoyment out of hunting public ground than private anyway so maybe I’m just a glutton for punishment lol.
Yeah I wanna do the Hawaii or New Zealand public ground exotic hunt!!!

LDG

Twelve Pointer
Gonna head to my cousin's 200 acre farm in Kentucky. Getting ready to buy my license in a few minutes in case they suspend out of state sales at some point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Gonna head to my cousin's 200 acre farm in Kentucky. Getting ready to buy my license in a few minutes in case they suspend out of state sales at some point.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the idea. I’m going to buy my license as well.

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
Confirmed buck and doe tag for Hamilton Co. , Illinois .
Will be hunting in and around Ten Mile Creek fish and wildlife area.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Hoping I can snag a Colorado archery antelope tag off the leftover list here in about 20 minutes. Long shot with only 2 tags in one unit and 1 in the other that I want. Otherwise the wife and I decided to make it a two part trip: 3 days or so in Colorado (I'll do some fishing probably while there) followed up by 5 days in South Dakota where I'll do the OTC archery antelope tag there.

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Hoping I can snag a Colorado archery antelope tag off the leftover list here in about 20 minutes. Long shot with only 2 tags in one unit and 1 in the other that I want. Otherwise the wife and I decided to make it a two part trip: 3 days or so in Colorado (I'll do some fishing probably while there) followed up by 5 days in South Dakota where I'll do the OTC archery antelope tag there.
I was going after a hard to get mule deer tag on the leftover list. I was one of the first in line and still didn't get it!!! Oh, well, it was long shot anyways. A 8 pt tag that got turned in. I did snag first rifle elk tags for Dad and I. So looks like we will be hitting Colorado Oct 10-14 for elk!!!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
I was going after a hard to get mule deer tag on the leftover list. I was one of the first in line and still didn't get it!!! Oh, well, it was long shot anyways. A 8 pt tag that got turned in. I did snag first rifle elk tags for Dad and I. So looks like we will be hitting Colorado Oct 10-14 for elk!!!
Same here, long shot and didn’t work out. I could do OTC there but the wife wanted to be within 45 minutes of a decent sized town for when she wasn’t out looking for antelope with me. The SE units I liked are in the middle of nowhere and over an hour from Pueblo. So the plan is SD for antelope unless I find a OTC unit that looks decent when looking at antelope population, public land they would be on and meets her requirements. Tag is cheaper and less of a threat that SD will shut down anything so it’s works out better in the long run anyway.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Drew a General elk tag in WY. Headed out for 2 weeks during archery late-Sept.
Then... got very lucky and drew a Maine moose tag. 1 week in October. Going to be a busy fall out of state!!
Might have to pick your brain about what you saw in a general unit out there in regards to hunting pressure, either applying next year in the Special draw or 2022 in the regular for a general tag.

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Might have to pick your brain about what you saw in a general unit out there in regards to hunting pressure, either applying next year in the Special draw or 2022 in the regular for a general tag.
Not posting my unit online but I'd be glad to share some insight. I think a lot of the below is applicable to General units.

We hunted this same unit in 2018 with cow tags. We saw lots of elk and the hunting pressure wasn't too bad during archery season. We backpacked in but were never more than 3-4 miles from the truck. Focused on thick north facing slopes. Ran into a few hunters but it was better than expected. We saw elk every single day though they were tough to find. I took a shot at a cow and clipped a branch I didn't see and my arrow went low in the dirt. We had numerous bulls offer shots but of course, we only had cow tags...

If you're new to elk hunting I definitely recommend you apply for a cow tag and get out there ASAP. It's a blast and the cow tags are cheaper, easier to draw and it's a very fun hunt. You'll learn a ton this way. Now that we have either-sex tags and the experience with the unit I'm feeling much more confident about this season.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
Not posting my unit online but I'd be glad to share some insight. I think a lot of the below is applicable to General units.

We hunted this same unit in 2018 with cow tags. We saw lots of elk and the hunting pressure wasn't too bad during archery season. We backpacked in but were never more than 3-4 miles from the truck. Focused on thick north facing slopes. Ran into a few hunters but it was better than expected. We saw elk every single day though they were tough to find. I took a shot at a cow and clipped a branch I didn't see and my arrow went low in the dirt. We had numerous bulls offer shots but of course, we only had cow tags...

If you're new to elk hunting I definitely recommend you apply for a cow tag and get out there ASAP. It's a blast and the cow tags are cheaper, easier to draw and it's a very fun hunt. You'll learn a ton this way. Now that we have either-sex tags and the experience with the unit I'm feeling much more confident about this season.
Thanks, should have worded my question better so it didn’t seem like I was wanting a unit number lol. I already have a few general units picked out based on stats and what I’m wanting hunt wise in regards to habitat for a hunt. I tagged out in Colorado 1st rifle last year with a busted up 6x6 so I’ve at least got my feet wet. Was mainly curious on hunter pressure but seems like archery at least it’s not crawling with people which was kind of my thoughts. I never seem to run into the crowds of people locals always seem to say are present in a unit so it’s good to hear that backed up by your experience., at least for archery which is still on the table if our one buddy doesn’t apply with us. Guy at work is from Wyoming so we may have an ace in our back pocket and see if some of his family would be our resident “guide” so we can hunt wilderness areas and open up some unit options. Hope you tag out on a bull this year!

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Headed to SW MT for archery elk in September. It's pretty cool to be the hunter and the hunted at the same time. There were 3 griz attacks in the area I hunted last year.
Hey netter, how many pt's did you burn for that WY general tag?

nettereo16

Six Pointer
Headed to SW MT for archery elk in September. It's pretty cool to be the hunter and the hunted at the same time. There were 3 griz attacks in the area I hunted last year.
The WY Gen tags are going for 3pts now and the random draw is ~15%. Good luck in MT. I hunted SW MT in Sept 2017 and we got hit with a blizzard. Made for a tough hunt and was a little spooky with the potential grizz factor!!

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
It was something like 25% at <3 points this year in the regular draw. Has changed my approach for next year, think we will still apply for a general tag with our <3 average and hope that doesn’t take us out of the preference point pool or try and hit in the random. But I’m looking at backup plans as that’s not even a 50% chance of happening now.

ncstatehunter

Twelve Pointer
South Dakota archery antelope tag has been purchased and campground reservations have been made. Start with relaxing in a Colorado and doing some trout fishing for a few days and then spend 5.5 days chasing pronghorn. Fun begins in 18 days.

appmtnhntr

Twelve Pointer
South Dakota archery antelope tag has been purchased and campground reservations have been made. Start with relaxing in a Colorado and doing some trout fishing for a few days and then spend 5.5 days chasing pronghorn. Fun begins in 18 days.
Nice. We’ve got 5 confirmed for our Colorado elk trip. Waiting on a 6th. need muscle to pack meat!