Other than a bead?

Wake native

Six Pointer
For you fellers that use something like a red dot or FF3 for shooting buckshot. What do you use and how hard was it to get used to?. Any disadvantages?

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Heck, if your are using sights and can use slugs that is what I would do. Other than that I guess scope, open sights, red dot or what ever would work good. I'm betting a winged ghost ring would do good for either slugs or buckshot.

Wake native

Six Pointer
I am handloading buckshot that shoots pretty tight. Have never needed any more precise aiming on a shotgun for running deer till now.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I am handloading buckshot that shoots pretty tight. Have never needed any more precise aiming on a shotgun for running deer till now.
That was my point. I want really tight buckshot patterns too. To the point that slugs and sights would be just as practical if legal or allowed by club/land owner. Limited to buckshot with super tight patterns, any of the sights in above post would work. Just have to figure out your preference. I have killed many a deer with slugs while dog hunting. Both with open sights (standard rifle sights) and scopes. My scoped slug guns have regular rifle scopes, decent scopes hold up well with what I have experienced. Just make sure you have plenty of eye relief, so you don't become a victim of heavy recoil. I was actually working on a couple of set ups for me and my wife with ghost right before my bypass surgery, that put that on hold likely until next season. I really like that set up too. Fast target acquisition, seemed to be good for moderate ranges under 100 yards or so. I was also trying some reflex sights, that was not holding zero. I'll have to dig them up. Not sure of the brand, were some I wound up with from a mixed lot buy from an estate sell.
Good luck with what ever you decide and let us know how it works.

JBGrizzley

Eight Pointer
Im trying out a ff4 mounted on the vent rib this year, so far i like it on target and its much easier to see on the fly for me, in practice shots anyway. Done fine with load development for my buckshot

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Heck, if your are using sights and can use slugs that is what I would do. Other than that I guess scope, open sights, red dot or what ever would work good. I'm betting a winged ghost ring would do good for either slugs or buckshot.
I'm trying something similar this season. Using a Skinner peep with a fiber optic front sight.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I'm trying something similar this season. Using a Skinner peep with a fiber optic front sight.
I bought a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge with a winged ghost ring and fiber optic front sight. Both with tactical stocks. with pistol grips so my wife could handle them better. Both shot low and there is not enough adjustment to correct the issue. I have aperture sights on other rifles and use them with aperture removed, as a ghost ring and never had a problem. Guess could modify the front sight. I'll work on that later. Might try a peep on a rail.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I bought a 12 gauge and a 20 gauge with a winged ghost ring and fiber optic front sight. Both with tactical stocks. with pistol grips so my wife could handle them better. Both shot low and there is not enough adjustment to correct the issue. I have aperture sights on other rifles and use them with aperture removed, as a ghost ring and never had a problem. Guess could modify the front sight. I'll work on that later. Might try a peep on a rail.
I had the same issue with shooting low. The solution was a lower front sight; Skinner sells fiber optic front sights in 3 different heights for rifles, along with metal blade sights that can be filed down to whatever height you need. Pretty sure he has shotgun sights, too.

Reactions: DRS

johnnyk2000

Eight Pointer
Last year was my first year and I loved it. Will not go back to bead. If nothing else, it ensured that I had good cheek placement in the the heat of the moment. Was able to keep both eyes open and pull the trigger