OSSABAW ISLAND

jcannon

Twelve Pointer
It looks like all the tags would equal to $385. Is that correct? I've been looking at GA website for hours. ive never really considered hunting GA until now. Some other pretty interesting quota hunts on there.

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
NOTE… 2 pref points are 75% draw rate.

GA doesn’t average a groups total points BUT INSTEAD goes by whoever I’m the group has the lowest points… that # is the average for the group

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
NOTE… 2 pref points are 75% draw rate.

GA doesn’t average a groups total points BUT INSTEAD goes by whoever I’m the group has the lowest points… that # is the average for the group
We could do a POINTS ONLY draw for this coming year, then try for the Ossabaw hunt in 2024.

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Sapelo Island looks pretty good too.
Sapelo had a chance at bigger deer when I was there, but less numbers.

I have no idea what you might find now.

Take a look at the State Park Draw hunts. That’s something that I’ve been rolling around in my head lately.

Specifically Red Mountain, Panola Mountain, and Hard Labor Creek State Parks.

Richard B. Russell State Park is probably the closest, and has decent success rates too.

Last edited:

pcbuckhunter

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Being as there seems to be a good bit of interest, I’m going to create another thread in the Deer Hunting forum specifically for those interested in doing a Group hunt at Ossabaw Island

Last edited:

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
STORY CONTINUES…Friday afternoon it was just 2 of us on the route. The GW said she would be later than usual picking us up, likely 7:30pm.

Instead of stalking, I decided to go deep and sit in the saddle. Actually scaled a palm tree. After catnapping in my hammock saddle, I was awakened by a sound and thought I saw an armadillo which turned out to be an Oreo colored pig. I reached for the gun and turned around to aim BUT the sun was glaring in the scope and the hog disappeared behind palmettos.

30 minutes later I heard crashing through the marsh and in a small lane I watched several large pigs go across quickly at 90-100 yards. By the time I got the gun up and steady, only a small pig remained! I shot and it squealed. I rappelled down in the saddle and was sure the pig would be laying dead BUT upon inspection it wasn’t. I couldn’t find any blood or hair and they had went back into a thicket. Discouraged, I packed up my saddle and stalked back towards the front. Of course I spooked a buck on the way but made it into my desired area of live oaks for the remainder of the eve. Nestled into some palmettos while sitting against a large oak, a doe appeared at 60 yards and I shot. She ran about 70 yards and crashed from the heart shot. View attachment 102407

Once I drug her out i waited until almost 8 before picked up. The swamps and swamp creatures make lots of weird noises in the pitch black.

Back at camp, the doe was aged by DNR to be 6.5+ years old and weighed 79#. We gutted her and hung her in the walk in cooler which was filling up from other hunters success!

View attachment 102408

The next day I invited the young man Jacob to go with me and he could shoot a deer with my muzzleloader. We loaded up at 6am and headed out. Just before light a large hog walked through but he couldn’t find it in the scope. I may have took the gun and missed just minutes before legal shooting time (but of course I wouldn’t do that :stir: . Later on we got busted by a deer and got bored later in the morning so we went and looked again for the pig I shot the evening before as I’m certain it was hit. No luck finding it. As the morning came to a close we headed to camp and opted to load up and catch the boat back to the marina so that we could get home to our families Saturday night. (However, you do have the option and hunting that eve and camping overnight but must be gone by 10am Sunday morning).

View attachment 102409View attachment 102410

A beautiful ride back to the mainland and we headed home.

Total of deer killed was 47 and roughly that meant hogs out of 50 hunters…. SO @pcbuckhunter if I’m figuring correctly that’s almost a 200% success rate (almost 2 animals per person)

PS I saw a total of 10 deer , 8 hogs , 3 gators, 2 armadillos and tons of squirrels in 2.5 days of hunting) The thick flora made shot opportunities short lived and I was off my game. 😂 I did see game all 5 times I went in the woods. I CAN’T WAIT TO GO BACK!!
any of those skirls fox skirls ?? as some of those Islands are loaded with them.