Oregon Probation

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
I think you missed my entire point.

I was making the argument that it is probably better for an athletic department to cheat than to tweak your academics for the entire university to keep athletes eligible.

For the 50,001th time, the AFM program was designed to keep athletes eligible. Since other students who were not athletes took the classes, it wasn't a benefit specifically for athletes. What other major university has been put on probation recently by its accreditation agency?

"A year ago, the accrediting body leveled its most serious sanction at UNC following the long-running academic and athletic scandal in which 3,100 students were enrolled in no-show classes during a two-decade period. The organization’s board handed down 12 months of probation for failing to meet seven accreditation standards, including academic integrity and control of athletics."

Mary Willingham's background has nothing to do with what was going on at UNC at that time. It is a good tactic to try and discredit a witness but it usually dissolves under the slightest analysis. Did the college she went to get put on probation by its accreditation agency?

Universities don't spend $21,000,000 on legal services if they haven't done anything wrong. Why is it so hard for UNC fans to say what the athletic department and university did is wrong? It's not like they are responsible. I just don't understand. For people to say UNC did nothing wrong is extremely disingenuous.

If NC State's students don't go to class and fulfill their academic requirements of being a student athlete then they shouldn't be allowed to play. And NC State should not cheapen its academic program to keep athletes eligible. Universities exist to educate students and not produce profitable athletic programs. I know that is foreign concept in today's world but it is the way it is.

no it was not designed to keep athletes eligible. read alt's post above. and I never discredited Mary willingham.. I merely stated a fact that she took the same type of class at her college as did the public radio announcer. As to UNC spending the amount you posted , they did so because the athletic department had done NOTHING WRONG and if they would have caved in to the NCAA they would have lost more than that amount. I know it hurts haters to understand this but do you really think UNC athletics would have received no penalty if they had done Wrong?? The answer to that is YES. if the NCAA had found unc guilty of anything no matter how small UNC would have had several sports put on probation.

All Pines

Eight Pointer
no it was not designed to keep athletes eligible. read alt's post above. and I never discredited Mary willingham.. I merely stated a fact that she took the same type of class at her college as did the public radio announcer. As to UNC spending the amount you posted , they did so because the athletic department had done NOTHING WRONG and if they would have caved in to the NCAA they would have lost more than that amount. I know it hurts haters to understand this but do you really think UNC athletics would have received no penalty if they had done Wrong?? The answer to that is YES. if the NCAA had found unc guilty of anything no matter how small UNC would have had several sports put on probation.
Then why doesn’t unc sue the ncaa to get all that $ back if they didn’t do anything wrong?

And why didn’t unc sue dan kane and the N&O for libel?

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
That money is chump change to the University. It is like me buying a pack of nabs. They have better stuff to do with their time. That's why.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
No way the paragragh written about Rosa parks deserved an A minus if written by a 5th grader much less a collegiate student! That is blatant cheating in order to keep a player eligible. It was absolute and undeniable.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Oldest public university held fake classes and issued degrees based on fake credits. That is what it boils down to. It would make it a bit less shameful if there was an athletic side. Now it’s just egg on the university.

Rubline

Eight Pointer
Oldest public university held fake classes and issued degrees based on fake credits. That is what it boils down to. It would make it a bit less shameful if there was an athletic side. Now it’s just egg on the university.
And now I'm hearing that the professors at UNC are threatening to withhold grades from those fake classes until the Silent Sam situation is cleared up?
What a mess!!

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
This probation hasn't done much to slow down Oregon football. Just signed #5 class. Got some 12 star to stay out west.
I guess Phil hasn't cut off the Nike payments to the studs yet.

ABolt

Twelve Pointer
This probation hasn't done much to slow down Oregon football. Just signed #5 class. Got some 12 star to stay out west.
I guess Phil hasn't cut off the Nike payments to the studs yet.
Right - the University of Oregon is not a state institution, it's a corporate entity...

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
And now I'm hearing that the professors at UNC are threatening to withhold grades from those fake classes until the Silent Sam situation is cleared up?
What a mess!!
Actually, not until the Silent Sam situation is cleared up. It's until their demands are met. Have you seen the demands being made? It is full blown ludicrous.

Rubline

Eight Pointer
Actually, not until the Silent Sam situation is cleared up. It's until their demands are met. Have you seen the demands being made? It is full blown ludicrous.
I haven't seen a list of demands but if they're getting away with holding grades then LOIC is very obvious!!
But I reckon a good lawyer can get em out of trouble by pointing out that the classes are non existent so the grades would be too.

bigten

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I haven't seen a list of demands but if they're getting away with holding grades then LOIC is very obvious!!
But I reckon a good lawyer can get em out of trouble by pointing out that the classes are non existent so the grades would be too.
What I saw, iirc, the demands included: Completely remove the Silent Sam statue from UNC property, agree to NOT build the history facility, use the money allotted for the facility to create pay raises for faculty and a couple other things I can't remember right now. Granted, this is but a threat, and to my knowledge has not been acted on, but the intent is there.
I do not agree with their stance, and dang sure do not agree with their methods.

Rubline

Eight Pointer
The chancellor wiggled out of her contract and left with 2 years or more left remaining, she could see things unravelling over there.
Those professors have a lot of dirt on the school and will get their way with their threats .
The cheats are tired of paying hush money and lawyers, they'll gladly give in to their demands to avoid more expense.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Let em put Oregon on probation just don't make the cheerleaders sit out its always highlight of any Oregon game

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
All they have to do is withhold the grades from any real classes that may exist, too, and they are covered. :D