Oregon Probation

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #1
The Ducks get 2 years in Football M/W Basketball and track . Glad the athletic department got caught. I can't stand it when an athletic department cheats to gain an advantage. They didn't need to cheat . Those Hot Cheerleaders should have got a lot of recruits to commit.

lunker30

Ten Pointer
Heck yeah man!

Glad the NCAA stuck it to ‘em.

That coach that observed individual workouts! What a cheater!!!

Putting personal information on an electronic reader during campus visits for football recruits??? Unbelievable!!! How dare them!?!

Congrats to Mark Emmert! Job well done!

Last edited:
The Ducks get 2 years in Football M/W Basketball and track . Glad the athletic department got caught. I can't stand it when an athletic department cheats to gain an advantage. They didn't need to cheat . Those Hot Cheerleaders should have got a lot of recruits to commit.
I hope you're better at fishing in real life than you are on here...

23mako

Six Pointer
Better to have an athletic department cheat than the whole university.

"For 18 years, thousands of students at the prestigious University of North Carolina took fake "paper classes," and advisers funneled athletes into the program to keep them eligible, according to a scathing independent report released Wednesday. "

"For almost two decades, former administrative assistant Deborah Crowder and former department chairman Julius Nyang’oro created fake classes that allowed student-athletes to receive high marks and maintain eligibility, according to a University-commissioned report released today. "

That last quote was in the Daily Tar Heel, you probably read that everyday don't you Mack?

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns

"For 18 years, thousands of students at the prestigious University of North Carolina took fake "paper classes," and advisers funneled athletes into the program to keep them eligible, according to a scathing independent report released Wednesday. "

"For almost two decades, former administrative assistant Deborah Crowder and former department chairman Julius Nyang’oro created fake classes that allowed student-athletes to receive high marks and maintain eligibility, according to a University-commissioned report released today. "

That last quote was in the Daily Tar Heel, you probably read that everyday don't you Mack?
Oregon should have lawyered up, investigated themselves, allowed normal students to cheat too, and the NCAA would have been powerless.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #11

Uh , for the 50,000 time the athletic department did nothing wrong. It is not unusual for advisers to steer students to class they know they will do well in whether they are fake or not ...... you do realize the That Mary Willingham and the PBS interviewer on radio one day BOTH ADMITTED TO TAKING EASY FAKE classes at their schools ??? guess you didn't hear that interview did you??

There are some who can't accept the fact that UNC athletics did nothing wrong. this happens at almost every college out there. reminds me of the Democrats vs Trump.
State has hired students to actually go to classes and check up on athletes to make sure they are in class as it was such a problem of them not going. You think they didnt get help?

oh, and I have never read the daily tarheel.

23mako

Six Pointer
I think you missed my entire point.

I was making the argument that it is probably better for an athletic department to cheat than to tweak your academics for the entire university to keep athletes eligible.

For the 50,001th time, the AFM program was designed to keep athletes eligible. Since other students who were not athletes took the classes, it wasn't a benefit specifically for athletes. What other major university has been put on probation recently by its accreditation agency?

"A year ago, the accrediting body leveled its most serious sanction at UNC following the long-running academic and athletic scandal in which 3,100 students were enrolled in no-show classes during a two-decade period. The organization’s board handed down 12 months of probation for failing to meet seven accreditation standards, including academic integrity and control of athletics."

Mary Willingham's background has nothing to do with what was going on at UNC at that time. It is a good tactic to try and discredit a witness but it usually dissolves under the slightest analysis. Did the college she went to get put on probation by its accreditation agency?

Universities don't spend $21,000,000 on legal services if they haven't done anything wrong. Why is it so hard for UNC fans to say what the athletic department and university did is wrong? It's not like they are responsible. I just don't understand. For people to say UNC did nothing wrong is extremely disingenuous.

If NC State's students don't go to class and fulfill their academic requirements of being a student athlete then they shouldn't be allowed to play. And NC State should not cheapen its academic program to keep athletes eligible. Universities exist to educate students and not produce profitable athletic programs. I know that is foreign concept in today's world but it is the way it is.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
Why is it so hard for UNC fans to say what the athletic department and university did is wrong? It's not like they are responsible. I just don't understand.

Because they would be admitting that their basketball glory is built on decades of cheating and lies, and it was/is. They built their brand on decades of academic fraud and benefited greatly from it, at the expense of many schools all over the country.

BigBuckDown

Old Mossy Horns
Why is it so hard for UNC fans to say what the athletic department and university did is wrong? It's not like they are responsible. I just don't understand.

Because they would be admitting that their basketball glory is built on decades of cheating and lies, and it was/is. They built their brand on decades of academic fraud and benefited greatly from it, at the expense of many schools all over the country.
Dude, its Mack.

Lmao.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Uh , for the 50,000 time the athletic department did nothing wrong. It is not unusual for advisers to steer students to class they know they will do well in whether they are fake or not ...... you do realize the That Mary Willingham and the PBS interviewer on radio one day BOTH ADMITTED TO TAKING EASY FAKE classes at their schools ??? guess you didn't hear that interview did you??

There are some who can't accept the fact that UNC athletics did nothing wrong. this happens at almost every college out there. reminds me of the Democrats vs Trump.
State has hired students to actually go to classes and check up on athletes to make sure they are in class as it was such a problem of them not going. You think they didnt get help?

oh, and I have never read the daily tarheel.
I can not say anything about some classes being easier than others. Ratemyprofessor.com gives plenty of info on which classes trend easier or harder in each course.

Yes, academic advisors will point out options for different classes. You need a math or science credit for your degree. The options are differential equations or geology. I learned about rocks. Both were real classes with real work, classrooms, professors, assignments, tests and exams. What UNC did was well beyond the norm.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #16
For the record since some people have a hard time with comprehension, I have never said the academic side of unc never did anything wrong. Y'all just want to put it on athletics and it can not be linked. You can speculate all you want to but they found the athletics department did nothing wrong.
It really isn't that hard to understand. Geez, if I can undetstand this then surely the brains on here can.

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
For the record since some people have a hard time with comprehension, I have never said the academic side of unc never did anything wrong. Y'all just want to put it on athletics and it can not be linked. You can speculate all you want to but they found the athletics department did nothing wrong.
It really isn't that hard to understand. Geez, if I can undetstand this then surely the brains on here can.

What is even easier to understand is that the top 10% of high school graduates (non athlete) are accepted into unc cheat. Those type of students don't need classes that don't exist, nor do they want to pay thousands of dollars for nothing in return.

So whom is having the hardest time comprehending this situation again? :)

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Mack if you honestly believe the athletic department did nothing, you are delusional. Are you trying to tell me academic folks took steps in that direction on a whim? They spent a lot of money and did a great job spinning it and covering up tracks.

If you get kick out of them getting away with it, that is your dilemna and not mine.

alt1001

Old Mossy Horns
Are you trying to tell me academic folks took steps in that direction on a whim?
Crowder maintained from the start that she started the classes to benefit anyone who wanted to take them and had no ulterior motive, and the numbers back that up.

Note that these are paper and independent course enrollment by athlete. The courses were established in 1993. Note that it took nearly 6 years before athlete enrollment rose to an alarming rate. Not the 2 semesters where no athlete took either of these courses despite regular students doing so. That doesn't exactly point to an athletic department scheme does it? There is zero doubt that once these courses became known, students alike flocked to them however these numbers do not support any idea on the course origin other than what Crowder herself stated.

There is no other way to make sense of these stats in that regard.

Attachments

Buxndiverdux

Old Mossy Horns
As you can see, by the illustration above, it was strategically designed for basketball, and was a closely kept secret, until football players got wind of it and it morphed into an 18 sport cheating to stay eligible scandal.

Again, unc accepts elite top 10% of high school seniors. None of them need these courses to continue their education at unc cheat.

23mako

Six Pointer
I just hope if I ever meet Marvin Austin that I can pick his brain on the history of Africa and where he thinks the continent is headed. Julius Peppers too.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
Thread starter #27
Ok
Mack if you honestly believe the athletic department did nothing, you are delusional. Are you trying to tell me academic folks took steps in that direction on a whim? They spent a lot of money and did a great job spinning it and covering up tracks.

If you get kick out of them getting away with it, that is your dilemna and not mine.
What I try to tell every one is 99 out of 100 schools do wrong in their athletic department and on the academic side. you are delusional if you thing others wise. It is just the haters on here cant let it go. If UNC would of been found to have broken any rules in the athletic department do you seriously think the NCAA would of let them Off?? They would of been on probation quicker than Bux of BBD responding to a post on UNC! It was the academic side who had some questionable courses and that was addressed. Everyone wants to speculate and say The athletic department did wrong and that is all it is ...speculation. yall really sound like CNN after Trump.

also UNC spent so much money because the school KNEW that the NCAA did not have them and they sure as hell were not going to make a deal. it was a witch hunt just like russian collusian.

All Pines

Four Pointer
No, unc spent so much money bc their defense team was Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, Robert Kardashian, Barry Scheck, F. Lee Bailey, Alan Dershowitz, Gerald Uelmen, Carl Douglas, and Peter Neufeld.

Rubline

Six Pointer
Our former neighbor was a professor at UNC (retired now).
I asked him what he thought about the scandal, he said after Duke won back to back national champs in bball they made some changes over there.
He wouldn't say who (they) were but I just don't think the athletic dept came up with the plan for fake classes.