Orange county bowhunting regs?

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Outside of the NCWRC "local laws" does anyone know if there is a regulation for bowhunting in orange county with respect to the distance from a dwelling? I couldn't find one, but tonight had a run-in with a neighbor, I'd like to make sure I was not breaking any local ordinances. I am not within any municipal limits.

Thanks,
Johnnie

perfectroadglide

Ten Pointer
Breaking ordinances or not, an angry neighbor will cause you all kinds of grief. I have a couple of stands that are bow only. I go out of my way to know the neighboring farmers, and have never had problems with any. Funny how they get upset with people shooting near their cattle.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Not that I'm aware of. Only issue with hunting that close, with a bow, is retrieval. NC has no right to retrieve.

I've never had a neighbor say anything, but as long as I'm on my side of the line, they can pound sand anyway.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Well, I've been hunting this small parcel for two seasons now. I have written permission from the landowner (BIL) to hunt with archery equipment. The adjacent landowner's house is only 20-30 yards off of the property line and my driveway is only 5 yards from the same property line (driveway runs right up the property line for about 200yds and ends adjacent to the house). For various reasons, the best location to hunt from is about 30 yards from the property line near the house (which puts me about 50-60 yards from the house). My blind is set up such that I can ONLY shoot away from the house.
Yesterday, I shot a doe at 3:50. I went back down the driveway to get my truck which was parked about 150yds away and drive up and park at the end of the driveway, but also only 30yds from the house. As I'm gathering things from the blind, the neighbor yells over asking what I'm doing, to which I replied, "Hunting". The next 5 minutes of interaction involved several misstatements about the laws, a clear misunderstanding of archery hunting, a false story about having a hunter "carted" off from a previous property by the game warden because they were "hunting too close to the property line", and followed up by they were "uncomfortable" with me hunting there. In the middle of this, there was also a threat to call the game warden to which I replied "If you feel the need to do so, then please do."
Well, neighbor was unsatisfied with this discussion so, largely because my BIL may be building a home there in the near future, I politely stated that I was leaving anyway (don't want to be THE cause of hard feelings between neighbors, if this had been MY property, the discussion would have been much different). So I gather my things, go track the doe, drag her back to the truck and leave. Before I go back to the property again, I was trying to confirm if there is/is not a distance ordinance for bowhunting in Orange County, which, as previously stated, I was unable to find one, but I cannot say that I am 100% convinced it does not exist.
I'm going to reach out to the local GW and OCSO to see what I can find out.

Johnnie

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
I live and hunt in OC and I've never heard of any such restrictions.

I'll also add that it's "special" when somebody builds close to the property line and then thinks they can control what you do on your own land.

I have a neighbor who built very close to the line, but they're good folks and don't try to pull any of that crap.

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Have you thought about asking him what his concern is?

If he’s unreasonable, just keep on keeping on. You might be able to set his mind at ease, though.

Good luck.

Mr.Gadget

Old Mossy Horns
What is the plan if the deer you shoot runs over on his property?
Sounds like a good chunk of land being you had to track the deer and still on your land.
Any chance you could move over a little more and he would not worry?
I see him wasting your time next time. Nothing stopping him from running a mower or chain saw.

Just me but I would go talk to hime away from hunting, normal cloths so you can talk and see what he is worried about. It will also help you.
If he is anti hunting and calls you a killer...... it will help your case later if there is a problem. If he is ok with hunting but worried about X you may could help fix that and work with him.
Being that close to his property it is just a matter of time before you have a deer run onto his land and die.

Johnnie

Ten Pointer
Well, another interesting turn - part of the discussion about "hunting too close" involved "well I have small boys that play in the woods" (which there are so many non-concerns, and common sense answers with that they aren't worth listing, including trespassing), to which I explained that it was IMPOSSIBLE to mistake a small boy for a deer. I did note while walking up the hill earlier that day I saw a small set of boot prints in my truck tracks from 12/24. I figured it was BIL who has two small boys. Well, today I check my trail cam pics and here is some strange young boy staring directly into my camera on 12/25........hmmmmmmm. The boy appears to be around 3, maybe 4, so I would assume he was not out alone. I presume they were out for a joy walk/trespass on 12/25 and found my blind, etc... and then when I drove up the hill on 12/26 the neighbor had to "investigate". I wish I would have gotten the adult on cam if they were present.

DBC - my plan is to followup once I have made sure there is no proximity law/ordinance in OC and have that discussion.
Gadget - The doe ran about 100 yards but didn't make it off the property. I know the boundary's and corners (both are painted and flagged) but I am not certain of the acreage, I'd guess around 10. It is certainly possible a wounded deer would run on that neighbor's property, but given their normal travel paths, it would be unlikely, but is possible, I would cross that bridge when I get there and ask for permission. I have verbal permission for the other adjacent owners, but I haven't even asked the person mentioned above due to I don't think it will happen.

Also, I admit that I am interested in that the assumption has been that the neighbor was a man. It was actually a woman.

Johnnie

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
If anyone is guilty of something it is her. She should be charged with hunter harassment. You were in the act of hunting when you were harassed by her. The problem she has is not just with you. She is used to living there with her little spot and using the property beside her for free. Don’t let her intimidate you and stand up and show her the line. If she is going to be that kind of neighbor you BIL doesn’t need her anyhow. Tall fences make great neighbors.