Opinions on Mocksville

jad

Four Pointer
anyone have any experience on living/life around the Mocksville area.
Safety, hunting/fishing opportunities, etc etc.
Seems somewhat rural with some small farm towns around, but some encroachment from bigger
places like Winston and Statesville ?

Thanks

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I have friends who live there , I used to drive through there daily on my way to the VA main campus for work. It's like most small towns, there are distinct areas of desirable places to live and some that aren't. The land/housing in that area are headed upwards and are becoming hard to find, especially larger plots or acreage.
We looked around Farmville for more than a year and never found a place before we settled where we currently live and I'm glad we did for various reasons, although taxes are cheaper around Mocksville than in Forsyth County. If you do decide to move to that area remember that this is a hub for Greensboro, Winston Salem, Huntersville, Statesville and even Charlotte so expect to pay accordingly.
As far as hunting, there is a gameland not too far, but it's VERY popular, there are multiple large lakes, rivers and creeks in that area so fishing isn't a problem. Hunting land in that area has been chopped up by developers but there are leases nearby that you may luck out and find.

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I’ve been there a lot working on water/sewer. Lots of nice, genuine folks. There used to be a sign right there at city limits that was quite interesting.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Everything thing that Eric said. I live in Advance and have close to 25 years. Mocksville is a nice town. Its just a small country town. West side of Mocksville is going to be more rural with undeveloped land. Im talking Sheffield, Center, William R Davie and County Line. East side of Mocksville between it and the Yakin River is a lot of housing developments and chopped up farm land. You also have Bermuda Run and Oak Valley which have golf courses. There is nothing wrong with that lot of people live there. You will still be close enough to Winston or Clemmons with just a short drive. Just like everywhere else the housing market is high. I've seen all the high prices, cash offers quick closing you name it. Crime rate is about like usual but we have a pretty good Sheriff. I think they stay on top of it pretty good. Hunting and fishing thats a big one. You have lake Norman but its kind of a drive and is a very busy lake. Its good fishing but expect to have company. Weekends and holidays are busier of course. You can go down 64 to Lexington to get to High Rock. Nice lake good fishing not so crowded except again Holidays and most weekends. Lake Hampton in Yadkin is nice to no motor boats just kayaks and trolling motors allowed. Hunting wise Perkins game lands get alot of action. I think but haven't look but its a three day a week game land. Hunting is good but usually on private land. If you wanted to hunt public you would be better of in the Uwharrie Mountain game lands. Remember this if nothing else i said do not move to Jerusalem or Colleemee. Jerusalem may not be bad but to close to Colleemee. If I can help be glad to talk with you here or on the phone. If you find something hit me up and ill let you know how the area is.

jad

Four Pointer
thanks for the feedback....
came across a property that seems a little interesting. It's about 10 mi north of downtown Mocksville.
Will take a ride out there this weekend, and I guess I will have to contact a realtor if I want to see inside.

Dan in NC

Eight Pointer
Contributor
10 miles North of Mocksville is a fairly rural area and puts you pretty close to Yadkin county. That would be my preferred area.
I am about 15 miles north and a little east of Mocksville.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
My son bought 30 acres on Bear Creek SW of Mocksville and built on it. He has a small deer population and a few turkeys. His neighbor has about the same size piece of land and there's a large farm across the creek which usually plants a good bit of corn so that helps his deer situation. They seem to enjoy their life there and like to hang out in the Irish themed pub in town.

Vannoyboy

Eight Pointer
Mocksville is a great place because of the nice friendly people. Good music, early to bed early to rise. If you move there, mind your own business, shut your mouth, do more listening than instructing and you will do fine. Just like most rural southern communities.

jad

Four Pointer
Not sure if it’s considered the foothills but I think it’s close
Blackwater….. a little surprised to hear only a small deer population at your sons place. I thought there would be more deer in the area

pattersonj11

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There are big deer around Mocksville. The herd may not be as populated as other areas but that also usually brings the buck to dove ratio back in check. I’ve rarely seen big bucks where the herd is dense. Most of the places I’ve hunted with thinner populations usually have had better bucks. It’s nice to hunt a field and see 30-40 deer.....but eventually I like to see something besides does and small bucks.

TobyScreams

Twelve Pointer
Well, I’ve killt some awfully big deer in them parts… so there’s that. Got to know a lot of people out in Davie and it’s a good area. I wont move there because of urban sprawl. When I get out ima go way out.

Blackwater

Twelve Pointer
Not sure if it’s considered the foothills but I think it’s close
Blackwater….. a little surprised to hear only a small deer population at your sons place. I thought there would be more deer in the area
His woodland, about 23 acres, was clear cut some years ago with the exception of a number of good sized beeches so that's the only mast available on his parcel. A small patch down in the creek bottom was replanted in pines and is now full of blackberries and is ideal bedding ground but that will eventually mature and lose it's charm.

On the North and West side there is mostly grasslands and large fenced in horse and cow operations so he's kind of on the fringe of the good deer country.