Opening day Confrontation with landowner

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Well after riding my bike for half an hour and then another hour walk through the woods to get to my destination on game lands that borders private land where I had found a couple of nice long beards that roost on public and walk into a cow padture I quietly walked in with no light so I wouldn't spook the turkeys I set up in a makeshift ground blind that I made two weeks beforehand and waited in anticipation for daybreak. Well right before daybreak I see lights coming across the field and here comes a truck driving right up to the fence about 75 yards from where I was sitting, the man gets out and loudly shuts the door, well I'm figuring so much for ninja mode getting in there quietly so I figure I better let him know I'm there so I flash my light at him and whistle, he was quite surprised I was sitting there and asked me why I was on his land? I politely told him that I was on game lands and that I was not on his land, then he told me that I was cutting him off from all the turkeys and that he would not have any chance at shooting one because they're all coming from the area where I was sitting so I politely told him that there are birds scattered throughout the game lands area where we were at so he walked off in a huff muttering something under his breath that I couldn't understand but I can imagine what it was. Well the birds that were roosted around me flew in a different direction but 2 hours later two long beards came from his direction in front of my gun barrel and only one left.
I was polite but firm, I wasn't leaving after I was there first.IMG_20190413_105713520_HDR_compress_5.jpgIMG_20190413_092756170_compress_18.jpg

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Good for you.
Sounds like you earned it. I like the bike pic.
Congrats ;)

pir8rn

Six Pointer
Congrats on the bird! I read the title and was expecting a different story... Glad it worked out though.

I wish I could ride a bike on the gamelands near me but I think it'd be more work than just walking. And probably louder.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
Congrats. FWIW, I always carry an orange vest to get to and from my turkey hunting spot....and a second one for the turkey so it's less likely that some knucklehead take a pot shot at me.....

Lance

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Good deal. I also had an unfortunate run in with a leasee opening day. Glad yours worked out(y)

30/06

Twelve Pointer
People own land next to public and then get mad when people use the public. Happens around my house all the time, I live just off Falls and people complain about gun shots behind there house.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
People own land next to public and then get mad when people use the public. Happens around my house all the time, I live just off Falls and people complain about gun shots behind there house.
someday the falls and Jordan crowd will get that fixed to their liking.

BiggestSpikeYouEverSeen

Ten Pointer
Contributor
Well after riding my bike for half an hour and then another hour walk through the woods to get to my destination on game lands that borders private land where I had found a couple of nice long beards that roost on public and walk into a cow padture I quietly walked in with no light so I wouldn't spook the turkeys I set up in a makeshift ground blind that I made two weeks beforehand and waited in anticipation for daybreak. Well right before daybreak I see lights coming across the field and here comes a truck driving right up to the fence about 75 yards from where I was sitting, the man gets out and loudly shuts the door, well I'm figuring so much for ninja mode getting in there quietly so I figure I better let him know I'm there so I flash my light at him and whistle, he was quite surprised I was sitting there and asked me why I was on his land? I politely told him that I was on game lands and that I was not on his land, then he told me that I was cutting him off from all the turkeys and that he would not have any chance at shooting one because they're all coming from the area where I was sitting so I politely told him that there are birds scattered throughout the game lands area where we were at so he walked off in a huff muttering something under his breath that I couldn't understand but I can imagine what it was. Well the birds that were roosted around me flew in a different direction but 2 hours later two long beards came from his direction in front of my gun barrel and only one left.
I was polite but firm, I wasn't leaving after I was there first.

I'm looking for the 'LOVE' button but settled for 'like' given my options. Congrats on a great bird the hard way.

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
That was my wife's basket I took off her bike, she said I could use it but I had to wash the blood off afterwards.
Sometimes a wife just doesn't get it. That dried up blood would be a great memory sparker for years to come if she'd let you leave it on there. ?