Open Season

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Was wondering, after reading some of the responses on another thread, are there people here who would support and open season on deer? I know to many that sounds silly but that is the impression I get from some of what I read.

buckshooter

Old Mossy Horns
I thinking if we were still dependent on sustenance hunting things may be different in that open season on game aspect.

But , it’s a foregone conclusion that we aren’t.

An open season would totally decimate the deer population anywhere , at least to my way of thinking.

If we could police ourselves , again maybe. However that’ll never happen either.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Offer a free subsistence license for those who need to hunt deer for meat outside the established seasons.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Getting rid of the unlimited bonus tags might have caused some families to starve that depended on a lot of deer meat.

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
The above is true, or if you know a Farmer and are on their paperwork, at least was that way before they did away with the paperwork, I think it’s back now as a requirement,

In NC we subsisted on deer mostly. It wasn’t cheaper by any means but probably balanced out the hunting cost(so I tell myself) Grass fed meats were pretty pricey. I miss the venison supply. Mama was happy to have to buy beef again.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
As a farmer I'd rather hunters take deer off the land that's why I lease land to them, however when they fall short I take them off however I do not take one that I don't give away, older, sick and people who for various reasons are in a financial bind make out around me.
That is how that rule was intended to work. Sadly of course some/many don't do it that way. Many of the deer taken with depredation permits are utilized and if they are going to be harvested that is a good thing.

RJ1

Ten Pointer
No need there , food stamps and other entitlement programs feed millions already. Way too much abuse would take place.

Right or wrong some of the older people around were I live will not file for things like that, they are to proud they would rather just make out the best way they can. It's the way they were brought up.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Trying to redirect this thread back to where it was originally intended, the original reference was to the "traditional only" ML season. The initial responses to the other post seemed only to support that question if there were additional days added to the hunting season. If that trend were accepted I was thinking that by the time we added air guns season, air bow season, traditional archery only season, traditional ML only season, shotgun only, rifle only, spear only, slingshot only and on and on as more new devices were added, would we not be looking at an eventual open season by the time it was all added up? If, as some people would suggest, there is a drastic need to reduce the deer population due to car accidents, ornamental shrubbery damage, corp damage, would this not answer that question, and at the same time, probably do away with deer in general. We know turkey could not stand such a change. Overall personal restraint will never enter the equation as some will shot all they are allowed. Seems to be a quandary that will be never ending.

aya28ga

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
1/3 of the year for deer hunting should be plenty for anybody. And who wants to deal with trespassers year-round?

(And imagine what lease prices would rise to?)

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Apologies Lee, I missed the other thread. My 2 cents, a general season vs. “Group” seasons is a possible solution. There is always a debate between Purists on what constitutes “Traditional” “Archery” or whatever. I’ve long held the unpopular stance that if we don’t include all and bring others in we will ultimately fracture into small pitched battles against each other and once enough walk away entirely it’s an easy win for Antis.

If the goal is managing the herd then tag Allocation to that end would suffice regardless of method . If the goal is preserving Special Interest seasons then they should call it that and shorten other seasons to accommodate. Probably a bit to simple a view as certain weapons have higher success rates but a tag is a tag.

Flame suit on

gremcat

Twelve Pointer
Enjoying Flintlock in PA but if other hunters carried rifles I wouldn’t care. A bit like RB when he hunted still. He carried a Rock Lock and others didn’t. He used his preferred weapon to fill his tags.