OOS recap

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
What a sport this Turkey hunting thing is. You just never know what you’re going to encounter on any given day in the turkey woods. I had the opportunity to hunt three other states this season, and here is how my OOS season went down for me.

GA

I debated not going to Georgia at all this year, because each year has been worse than the preceding year for several years running now. But the itch is always there in late March, and this year was no different, so I gave it another go at the usual place in Hancock County.

Not much to report about this hunt- It was a one-day hunt and the only bird I encountered was a gobbler off the property, that got shot later in the morning. But I worked it over really good, and gave it the old college try. Just aren’t many birds around that area anymore.

I guess I’m going to have to find another place for late March....

VA

On opening day in Virginia I didn’t hear anything on the roost. However about 30 minutes after fly down I heard a gobble way off in the distance, and was able to call the gobbler to me from very far away. It was a classic hunt. He gobbled all the way in, and I got set up just right. As he came in strutting, in range, I put my gun on him to track him to an opening where I planned on killing him.

I was hunting with a new gun, an Ithaca model 37 twenty eight gauge pump. I killed one turkey with that gun last year, so it wasn’t brand new to me. However it has a much lighter trigger than what I’m used to.

So as I put the gun on him to track him, I didn’t have my head down or anything because I wasn’t ready to aim just yet. However, it shocked me to hear my gun go off. I could not believe what had happened. How careless can one be-especially someone with as much experience with different guns.

The bird jumped up and ran off putting. I sat there in disbelief for a few minutes and decided I needed a change of scenery. So, I slipped across the border into North Carolina and killed a bird there in my favorite Northampton afternoon spot. But I’ve already written about that one, so I won’t write it again.

The next Saturday, I went back to Virginia again because I had already limited out in North Carolina on my first two hunts there, and got my grandson a bird Friday after school. To make a long story short, I was hunting with a good friend, but we never got to work a bird on our property. We did call in three Jakes which we passed on, but that was about all the action we had.

My third hunt in Virginia on the following Saturday was an experience of covering many miles around the properties but hearing nothing and seeing very little sign. I was glad to see noon come around because I was totally wore out.

The last hunt in Virginia on the following Saturday resulted in me hearing nothing on the roost once again, but was able to find a gobbling bird a couple hours after fly down time. He was on the other side of a creek, and I strategically crossed the creek in order to increase my chances of getting him to come to me. However, as I was sitting down I heard the dreaded putt. It was a male bird putt, and after he started putting a second bird started putting. Well, both birds ended up flying into a tree to look at me and continue their putting while the gobbling bird further away went completely silent, of course. A crow flew by very close to one of the birds and cawed, which caused the putting bird in the tree to gobble at him. Well, I knew that jig was up so I got up to flush the bird out of the tree in hopes that given a little bit of time the gobbling bird would be workable once again. So I Flushed both birds out of the tree, waited about 15 minutes and started calling to the formerly gobbling bird once again. To make a long story short I never heard from him again, and noon came so I had to quit.

To rub salt in the wound, as I was driving out through a nearby property, a gobbler with about what looked like a 12 inch beard walked across the road about 10 yards in front of me- 15 minutes after legal shooting time.

And that was how my Virginia season went. Sometimes you are the windshield and sometimes you are the bug.

UT

On day one in Utah we went to my favorite place to hunt in the world. The scenery is spectacular and the wildness of it makes it extra special. There are no signs of humans except for the occasional plane that flies over.

My brother had told me that the birds were acting funny this year, with no explanation of why that might be. His guess was that due to the mild, dry winter that the breeding had started earlier than normal this year, which was influencing the receptivity of the gobblers to calls.

In any event, my brother heard one gobbler on the roost and I heard another one across to the next side of the canyon. So we went after the closest bird first, who quit gobbling as soon as we got close to him. And then the next time he would gobble he was further away. So we decided to leave the walk away bird and go try the one that I had heard gobbling earlier that morning.

It took about 20 minutes to get to the other side, and as we approached we could see the birds in the distance. We could not tell that there were any gobblers at all in that group, and no bird was strutting.

In any event we called to those birds and it was like there was a force field around us because they would head away to avoid as when we called.

We hunted the area very thoroughly all morning and into the early afternoon, and discussed our strategy for the unsociable birds the next day. We decided to build a blind out of natural materials near where the birds headed when they flew down from the roost, because in previous years they had followed the same routine. So we built the blind and walked out.

As we were walking up the mountain we called and did get a hen to answer us. She made the full gamut of calls including lots of Kee Kee runs, which was pretty cool. We got her to come in and got the only interesting video footage of the entire week. We also encountered another group of birds on the way up. I saw them through the brush and could tell there were two Jakes and a hen. We called to watch their reaction, and sure enough as we would call, the hen would turn and leave the other direction taking the Jakes away with her.

It was troubling enough to see birds avoid the calls, but doubly troubling to see Jakes and not toms with the hens. Where were the toms?

The next morning we were in the blind we built the previous day and sure enough a bird gobbled on the roost right where he gobbled the previous day. The bad news is, from that distance we could tell it was most likely a Jake that was gobbling. So that would explain why we did not see any strutting birds in that group the day before. But we could not be sure what was with them so we stayed there and called.

Well, calling was a mistake. Because true to the pattern that was developing on day one, instead of going to the place we expected them to go they went in the opposite direction across the other side of the canyon to avoid us.

As we were figuring out our next move, we were surprised to hear a gobble from a mature bird in the other direction. So our hopes soared that we had a chance on a fresh bird. We moved a little bit closer to him and began to call.

Once again, calling proved to be a mistake. The next time we heard him gobble he had gone up the side of the mountain to skirt around us.

Our next move was to think about how to get on the other group of birds that had crossed the canyon. We began a strategic move on them, only to hear the mature gobbling bird back closer to us once again. Once we had quit calling he had decided to come back the way he was coming originally. So this time, I moved up closer to him while my brother backed way off and did some calling from back there.

Well, you would think we would have learned our lesson by now, but turkey hunting with no calling is not very fun. And yes, sure enough, the bird stopped coming our way, and made a big loop around to the other group that now was heading his direction. You could tell they were familiar with each other as they called back-and-forth and finally got together on the other side of the canyon. It was an interesting learning experience.

So, licking our wounds, we decided to outsmart the turkeys. After all, we are smart human turkey hunters, and they are the dumb prey animals. Our brains are big, and theirs are very small. Right? So with our big brains We decided that my brother and I would separate. He would call from a long distance away trying to get the bird to gobble so that I could keep the group located. And I would bushwhack him if possible.

To make that frustrating exercise in futility into a short story, my brother was able to keep him gobbling every once in a while, and I was able to get close enough to see him and came close to bushwhacking him, but once again, no cigar. There were just too many turkey eyes to have to try to avoid.

After that, we made our way on the four wheeler to an area that my brother had killed a bird in a couple weeks earlier, we walked and called and scouted till we were very tired. It was very steep and thick in there, with beaver ponds, drake mallards, and lots of elk sign. We saw some pretty wildflowers, a little turkey sign, And an elk antler,but that was about it.

09ec69990d86d6368654d2846e262abf.jpg

d65170c0f0b3df63066d35dcbd2b89d8.jpg

c52fd16a77ae80d9512c1652b6a967e5.jpg

ded2d2b511a7e187c709bce28159ef6c.jpg

Getting mad at the Turkeys, we went home for break and decided to go into a totally new area late that afternoon in hopes that somewhere there were turkeys that would not run from the Call. So that’s what we did.

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
So that afternoon we got to the new location and begin calling. As expected, we heard nothing, so my brother decided to take the four wheeler and explore to try to find a new road that he wanted to go down, while I went off into the hills to try to rouse up a late afternoon gobble.

He only went a couple hundred yards, when I heard him turn around and come back to me. So I walked back over to the path to see what was up, and he told me that while he was driving by a bird gobbled at him as he drove near it. So he stopped and called to the bird, and the bird answered him with another gobble. Wow, now we were in for some action!

So we went into the woods to approach the bird and set up to call to him. He gobbled on his own before we got to him so with our big brains we decided not to take a chance on another timid bird, and I moved up closer to him, while the Brother was going to call from back about 75 yards behind me.

That would’ve worked well, except the bird never answered us again. After 15 minutes of that, my brother decided, with a disgusted look on his face, to go back to his original plan of looking for that new road he wanted to find.

As he drove off, about 200 yards away from me and 100 yards from where we had last heard the bird gobble, he gobbled at the four wheeler again. Well, this time my brother didn’t hear him, but I did. So I got out on the path and slipped down towards him as fast as I could. As I approached about 100 yards from where I thought he was I stopped to look through the block of woods in front of me, and believe it or not, I saw his head sticking up through the trees about 100 yards away. I could see no color but just the silhouette of his head and neck. I knew immediately, by the shape of the silhouette, that it was our gobbler. The sun was low in the west directly behind my back, and in a much appreciated stroke of good fortune, he did not see me. I watched him stick his head down to peck as he was taking a step forward so I knew the direction he was heading. So I squatted down low enough to be behind the low oak brush out of the tom’s sight, and slipped up the road to about 30 yards from where the opening was that he was walking through and waited. No, I never called. No way would I risk that. At this point bushwhacking seemed like the right thing to do.

And he never even flopped.

d21b9bf3fb6000b6129c8764a9f0a469.jpg

0284fba689842087df79f8d9e23cfec3.jpg

2f7276f13a7961a644e1ae81b743d74d.jpg

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
The next day we decided to go back in the general area where I killed the Gobbler the night before. To make a long story short I walked many miles and never heard a gobble and saw no Turkey sign anywhere I went.

But I did see a group of bull elk with antlers growing out, and lots and lots of mule deer.

04fa6a82e9191c04c72c61ef71721c6d.jpg

2bcb0acb1bdcff8fbcfa9dd1c3dc63d2.jpg

b7936b5fe6c751cf023c0acfb6dac68c.jpg

01973ea4320ba7e9736fa5747ceb49a3.jpg

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
We decided to try another late afternoon hunt in a new location with a friend that had been on gobbling birds that morning. To make a long story short I walked a few more miles, mostly straight up, with no action other than some very very distant gobbling over on the next mountain.

e9e2251a38bcb6a8f72a47d3b67bb346.jpg

ac268040fe832efdc6a8da12af32d41c.jpg

Last edited:

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
The next day we decided to take our chances in a totally different area and with a long long four wheeler ride over a very very rocky path many miles in to the hunting area.

To make another long story short, we heard one distant bird on the roost who shut up as soon as we got close to him. We rode many miles on the four wheeler stopping and calling and we came across what looked like two Jake’s in an opening which we tried to make a loop on and call to, to no avail. The most exciting part of that day was coming across a setting hen on the nest who flew up and scared the bejeesus out of me.

After four exhausting days of hunting, and bad sleep deprivation, we only had one bushwhacked bird to show for it. And my brother had to fulfill other commitments for the next day. So on day five I was by myself.

So my plan for a solo hunt on day five, was to go to an area where we had seen good sign, and my brother had seen birds very early in the morning a couple weeks before. So that’s what I did. I got into good position and put all my eggs into that basket with the hopes that birds were roosting near an opening where I had a ditch that I could hide in. Well, it wasn’t really a ditch but it was a small ravine about shoulder high which would be a perfect place To allow me to move one way or the other if there were any gobbling birds there.

In the most fortunate circumstances all week, I was perfectly positioned as I heard a hen yelp and the tree about 100 yards to my left. So I slipped down a little bit closer to her and waited. I debated whether I should call or not. The risk of calling was that the hen would fly down the opposite direction and the gobbler would fly down to her where I had no chance of killing him. With the way things had gone all week, I felt it prudent not to call at all but to risk it and hope that he would fly down in range if there was a gobbler there. And sure enough, a bird gobbled directly in front of me about 70 yards away across the clearing. I was perfectly positioned for an early morning, right off the roost kill.

And yes, you guessed it, I did not call any.

The first bird to fly down was the gobbler. He flew around the side of the hill below the hen where I could not see him, and shortly after him another bird flew down further down the hill a little closer to me. I thought that was probably a Jake. So now I elected to sneak closer that direction and take stock of the circumstances.

As I peeked up I could see the gobbler standing still in full strut. I could have killed him from right there since I was loaded with one of my 2 oz TSS loads, but I figured there was no harm at all in coming a little bit closer to get a closer shot at him. So that’s what I did. I snuck down a little bit further, and then peeked up to see where the gobbler was.

As I did that I saw a strutting bird in good range, but could not see his fan well. Then something putted at me a little higher on the hill. I looked up and saw that it was a redheaded male bird. Since I knew the jig was up, and since I could not make out a beard in the early morning light, I figured it was Jake up there. And so I elected to shoot the strutting bird instead of the closer bird that I thought was a Jake.

So I shot the strutting bird, and three birds flew up, with all of them having full fans, including the red headed one that was closer to me that I had just elected not to shoot because I thought he might be a Jake. Oops.

I never saw the bird that I shot at flop any, and with all the flying away going on, I wasn’t even sure that I hit him. So I got up out of the ravine and walked over that direction to see what the deal was. And there he lay, dead still. My strutting Jake. Oops.

But after such a frustrating, exhausting week of hunting, it didn’t bother me one little bit that I had killed the Jake and let the gobbler go. In fact, with what little gobbling we had heard all week, I was kind of glad that I didn’t kill him but that he would live to gobble on the roost again another night, and maybe be around next year when the birds were in a better mood to come to the Call.

e90eff4eec2a1fdd259101186dc206fc.jpg

5dad687657d9a574f13b549115441283.jpg

cbb463b9765633d889496e25f8414531.jpg

Since it was so early, I decided to prospect the area and see if I could come across a gobbling bird, or set up and cold call and perhaps have one walk in on me. So I did that for a couple hours and then decided to go back and try the gobbler that I had just encountered and see if I could get some action there now that perhaps he had calmed down from the early morning incident

As I got near the little hill where I killed the Jake, I had been calling as I slowly walked along. And believe it or not three Jakes were coming my way, instead of running the other way from my calls. Wow. How about that.

The bad news was that they saw me before I saw them, and disappeared into the woods. I would’ve killed one if I could have since I still had one tag left. Hey, sometimes a Jake is good. [emoji4]

And so I ended my 2018 season on that note.

Last edited:

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
Excellent recap of a very successful, though challenging, season. The Utah situation is the worst, IMO. I hate it when birds get rude that way....avoiding and skirting the call. The adjustment that situation requires takes a lot of the fun out of it, but as a turkey hunter, you do what you gotta do! Congrats on another great season! Thanks for sharing.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
I hate it when birds get rude that way....avoiding and skirting the call. The adjustment that situation requires takes a lot of the fun out of it, but as a turkey hunter, you do what you gotta do!.

It was quite a contrast to the previous spring when I filled 3 tags in less than 3 hours and then had a fourth bird still coming to us, gobbling away, 15 minutes after the last one was down.

Keeps things real and interesting...

Familyman

Twelve Pointer
It was quite a contrast to the previous spring when I filled 3 tags in less than 3 hours and then had a fourth bird still coming to us, gobbling away, 15 minutes after the last one was down.

Keeps things real and interesting...

Wow! Like night and day, last year to this year. If you ever figure out the dynamic causing either of those two behavior extremes, I'd love to hear it.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Getting to hunt several states in itself is very cool and taking any bird when the conditions are not ideal makes success sweeter. Congratulations on your season!

josh

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Very nice pics and stories , congrats on a great season . Love seeing you get your grandson out there and passing the tradition on. That makes it an amazing season !

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Here's the bro and I posing with the opening I shot him through just to our left.

2018-15%20Hal4_zpsfea8zaau.jpg

Last edited: