• Just a heads up for those of you who use Tapatalk to access NCH&F. I will be removing support for that app effective immediately. The reasons are many, but the primary one is that it allows spammers to post here without first being authorized to do so. This, coupled with their increasingly aggressive and invasive ads and pop ups, has caused us to remove them from the site entirely.

OOPS.

surveyor

Ten Pointer
Tied that surveying tape a bit too tight, huh?
My wife does say I tend to reef on things a bit. :unsure:

I was doing some load development on a 30 Carbine, and I was losing groups as I got faster - the bullet is a wee long for the rifling twist.

But I wanted to see how fast I could push it before I got really crappy groups.

This one missed the 6" circle, carried through the target, and caught a pine on the hillside backstop.

Kind of impressive I thought.

If I back it up a few tenths and lose a couple hundred FPS, I think it still has some good terminal ballistics.

surveyor

Ten Pointer
Impressive for a 30 carbine
Function of the desperate times we live in.

Jacketed bullets in short supply, and a suitable one for hunting being rare to start with, I took a Lyman 311410 mold, cast hard, made a jig to circumcise a meplat that would still allow the bullet to fit and feed from a mag, powder coated, and just started developing from there.

It's 134 grains about 1600+fps. Tree at roughly 100-110 yards.

In the defense of physics, the tree was only about 3-1/2" but it was a clean kill...

Last edited:

pinkfletch

Eight Pointer
Some say a .22 is not enough gun (myself included) but without fast acting Secret Service and a super fast ride to a trauma center on standby, we would have lost President Reagan far too early...it all depends on placement