One of the up sides of this covid mess

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
All the vets are going nuts around here because of this covid mess so unless you have a dog that is really sick it is a PITA to go to one. All of my deer dogs are in the 2 YO class and needed a rabies booster and I had planned on getting it done at a clinic at one of the coon huts at the local coon club. Well that fell through due to covid.

I was dreading loading 8 dogs and taking them over to get shot up in the parking lot when I happend to think about a friend that has three horse farms right here. I live right smack in the middle of the three and she has a vet out here every week for something. I called her vet and asked if he would stop by and vaccinate my dogs next time he was by. He said no problem. He came by today and it took him longer to write down their names, age and breed than it took to vaccinate them. I think I am through hauling dogs to get rabies vaccinations.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I got 9 I am getting ready to haul to town,,,,

miss the old days when we could do our own just like the other vaccines,,,

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
no horse folks around me anymore (moved away from that crowd 8+ years ago),,,,

might convince Vet to do something for it,,,,I'll find out next week when I get back

specialk

Twelve Pointer
Dang, glad u got it worked out....my vet never closed...gotta wait outside and they come get your dog.....just had my 14yo ankle biter's check up and nails clipped today....

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
My vet has always came out to the house. I dont even have to go out. I unlock the kennel, she goes in, does her thing and I can just watch from the kitchen window if I choose to.

Her asst. prints off the papers from the van printer and leaves the tags and stuff on the porch.

Been this way long before covid. She's a terrific vet, used her for years. Mobile vet to pet.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
This one today was a little dubious about grabbing my dogs at first. I laughed and told him they wouldn't bother him. He grinned and said "I have had a couple bad experiences with cur dogs". I laughed and told him I have had two here that you wouldn't touch without me here but as long as I was here you was just fine. To he got to the third one he was just fine.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Had to take several to the vet for rabies vaccines after the county canceled/delayed their clinic. My kennel partner and his business partners were going to have a clinic , the week before the county clinic back in the first of April, that was canceled due to Covid-19. The county did finally have the clinic back in June and I able to get the other 12 vaccinated in one load. The cost saving of the county clinic is the reason I go there. The $5/vaccine vs $20 at the vet is a huge difference.
If I could get the done at the kennels $20, might be worth it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
He charged me $8 a dog. I was more than happy. My routine vet charges $5 a dog if I bring more than 4 at a time normally but now that is out.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
The vets around here all charged around $20, if you take it to them. Not even a discount for multiples. I had to take 23 one time when I was working out of town during the county clinic. That was a real ouch.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The vets around here all charged around $20, if you take it to them. Not even a discount for multiples. I had to take 23 one time when I was working out of town during the county clinic. That was a real ouch.
Yeah, that would hurt. They have you by the man parts you gotta have it.

• Haha
Reactions: DRS

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
This one today was a little dubious about grabbing my dogs at first. I laughed and told him they wouldn't bother him. He grinned and said "I have had a couple bad experiences with cur dogs". I laughed and told him I have had two here that you wouldn't touch without me here but as long as I was here you was just fine. To he got to the third one he was just fine.
Now they know what he's up to when he arrives next time. I would still hate to be him. Im a first responder, I don't trust other people's dogs nor their owners.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
You obviously haven’t been around many vets giving rabies shots. Good vets do it so quick and fast the dog never feels it. Heck I have given so many other vaccines they don’t feel it when I give them. Now IM shots are a little different.
I was a first responder for 25 years. I trust dogs much more than people.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: DRS

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
Few people have complete control of their dog, I don't trust the dog but it's because of the people.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Few people have complete control of their dog, I don't trust the dog but it's because of the people.

Oh I had control of them. All he had to do was to stick ‘em. I had the business end. He either got them on the back of the neck or the shoulder. It ain’t my first rodeo handling dogs.

For years I was the on site medic for them when we were bear hunting. Now if you are going to get eat up try working on one that is hurt. All they know is they are hurting and someone is doing something to them they don’t understand. Many times it is a stranger doing it. I have had some close calls then.

Reactions: RJ1

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
You obviously haven’t been around many vets giving rabies shots. Good vets do it so quick and fast the dog never feels it. Heck I have given so many other vaccines they don’t feel it when I give them. Now IM shots are a little different.
I was a first responder for 25 years. I trust dogs much more than people.
You stated he was hesitant to grab your dogs, then stated as long as your there it should be ok. So I pictured exactly that, you standing there while he gave your dog shots. Dog doesn't care how bad it hurts, he cares it's a stranger making him uncomfortable, so in my opinion, I'd hate to wrangle a stranger's dog then come back the next week to the same dog. You now say you held the dog, well that should be no problem then. Give a vaccine to yourself and tell me you don't feel it. They feel it, not as much the needle as the vaccine. And yes I've been around and given many shots, animals and people.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
There isn’t any vet I know of going to walk into your kennel and grab your dogs while you stand outside. I walked in got them snapped a leash on them walked to the door had their head immobilized with their back turned to him so all he had to do was step in and pop them and step out.

Sub q most won’t ever feel it. A dogs skin is much thinner than ours. They only tried to turn their head when they felt another hand on them. That was when he jerked his hand back on the first couple. He is a large animal vet and was a little rusty. Small animal vets will one hand shoot them. They will have the syringe in one hand and spread their fingers and pull the hide toward the needle and soon as it is sunk the hit the plunger with their palm. He was doing that method after the first 2-3 and they didn’t hardly realize he had his hand on them before he was backing out of the door.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
^^ I guess that my vet must be a lil different. All of my dogs have always loved her, and she and her asst. just come in and do their thing. But that Parnell dog Ive got dont care for most people or other dogs.

First time she saw that dog, as a wee pup, I handled the dog and she gave the exam and shots. Dog didnt care much for it. Vet took it as a challenge I guess and she really made an effort to know the dog.
She'll come by if she is nearby and goes in the kennel and throws ball and plays with her awhile. She'll just go sit in the lot with the dog. I let her run the dog through her obedience drills and the dog handles for her. Vet was really intrigued by the Garmin collar and handhelds' effectiveness and versatility. It took awhile, but after a lot of interaction it's all good.

Something worked, now she'll just crawl up there and let her give shots, trim nails, rub belly.....whatever....but it's just her. She still gets awful rowdy when total strangers or that @turkeyfoot fella' comes by. Dang sure don't like the FedEx man.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
^^ I guess that my vet must be a lil different. All of my dogs have always loved her, and she and her asst. just come in and do their thing. But that Parnell dog Ive got dont care for most people or other dogs.

First time she saw that dog, as a wee pup, I handled the dog and she gave the exam and shots. Dog didnt care much for it. Vet took it as a challenge I guess and she really made an effort to know the dog.
She'll come by if she is nearby and goes in the kennel and throws ball and plays with her awhile. She'll just go sit in the lot with the dog. I let her run the dog through her obedience drills and the dog handles for her. Vet was really intrigued by the Garmin collar and handhelds' effectiveness and versatility. It took awhile, but after a lot of interaction it's all good.

Something worked, now she'll just crawl up there and let her give shots, trim nails, rub belly.....whatever....but it's just her. She still gets awful rowdy when total strangers or that @turkeyfoot fella' comes by. Dang sure don't like the FedEx man.
My old dog that died a year and a half ago started off in life liking everyone to he was run over. Then he spent a bunch of time at the vet getting fixed from that. He still had a decent disposition when all that was over but started to kinda like my wife a lot. That was when he was running loose here. That was when a couple of my friends thought it was funny to pick on him. That isn't real smart with a cur. I'll never forget the morning we were hurrying because one of those friends was late and were were going hunting and he pulled up and left his truck door open while we was loading up. Of course the dog wanted to go but he was staying. He piled in his truck in the floorboard. My friend started raising hell at him and reached to jerk him out. He was one of the worst for picking on him and I guess that was when the dam broke. I told him to leave him alone I would get him out but he didn't listen. He never picked on him or reached for him again though. LOL