One down, two to go....

dearl

Four Pointer
Finished disking a new plot that we will be putting a tower stand on soon. I've been trying to get in here to do some work, and last Friday my grandson and I went in and spent the whole day trimming back limbs, cleaning out these 2 lanes. The shortest is 125 yds, the long one in the pines is pushing 200. The box blind will be in the curve where the 2 lanes intersect. This is a new plot and the soil is a mixture of sandy loam and clay. Im planning to use winter wheat and oats down the long pine lane, and a mixture of brassicas and clover for the shorter lane. Soon as the weather breaks we'll be slinging some seeds in this one, then moving on to my 2 power line/gas line plots.IMG_0447.jpg
IMG_0450.jpgIMG_0451.jpg

dearl

Four Pointer
Another one down, gas line right of way disked up, this is just the bottom portion. Im guessing its an acre or so. I already have a shooting house here, from the shooting house to the end of this plot is 225 yds. Planning a no plow/clover/oat plot here. Having to watch over hanging limbs real close, already come in close contact with 2 huge wasp nest.....right about face high on a Ford 3400 Lol.

Hoping to get to the 3rd and final plot disked this weekend, then go back and sling seed in all of them.

gasline 1.jpggasline.jpg

Reactions: jug

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
Nice looking spots....be sure to show some pics when the plots start growing.

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk

dearl

Four Pointer
Finally done disking the last plot. Power line/gas line stand by gps its .77 acres. I've got plenty of room to expand this plot next year for soybeans. Right now I think we'll do a Oat/brassica mix. Im watching the weather, when I see a good rain chance gonna send the seeds flying.

IMG_0537.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0539.jpg

dearl

Four Pointer
Waited to put seed in the ground till this past Saturday ahead of the rain we got Sunday. Plant 100 lbs. of Pennington Deluxe fall blend, with a 3 bags of no plow mixed and split between all 3 plots. I also have a 50 lb. bag of winter wheat to split between all of them. Broke out the Ole Super A to Culti-pack everything in. Had my #1 Side kick on hand to help, bag seeder was about to whoop him Lol. We had fun.

IMG_0663.jpgIMG_0662.jpgIMG_0664.jpgIMG_0666.jpg

dobber

Old Mossy Horns
That right there is what its all about, really looking forward to him holding some horns or a good ole slick head

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I use to do the same thing with my 2. Only we used a 1952 John Deere M

dearl

Four Pointer
Road out and took a look at the plots after the recent rains. I pretty pleased with 2 of them, but not so much with the power line stand. I have some winter wheat and oats I bought this past weekend, I think im going to over seed this plot with a mixture of the 2, that should at least get it green.

1.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg

Last edited:

dearl

Four Pointer
Power line.....

I guess I cant ask for too much, I didn't do any soil amendments, just disc and seeded.

IMG_0729.jpgIMG_0730.jpg

dearl

Four Pointer
Got another spot planted over the weekend. Its about a 1.5 acre plot. Guy that hunted here last year had a brassica plot here for a few years, so it wasn't that hard to disc up. Its a long dogleg shaped plot, Me and Knot head planted 50 lbs. of oats and 50 lbs. of winter wheat. Got some rain that same night so we should see some green in a few days.

I planted the other 50lb. bag of oats on the power line that wasn't doing to good, at least I know this will come up there.

IMG_0739.jpg
IMG_0740.jpg
IMG_0741.jpg

Castle Oak 2

Six Pointer
Be advised that powerlines are maintained with herbicides that can have carryover thus suppressing/killing your plot before it can sprout. I hope that's not the case with your plot cause it looks like a great spot.

dearl

Four Pointer
Update...

The pine stand plot planted with the Pennington/no plow mixture is looking really good. I can see where the deer are already utilizing the oats.

IMG_0742.jpg
IMG_0743.jpg

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Waited to put seed in the ground till this past Saturday ahead of the rain we got Sunday. Plant 100 lbs. of Pennington Deluxe fall blend, with a 3 bags of no plow mixed and split between all 3 plots. I also have a 50 lb. bag of winter wheat to split between all of them. Broke out the Ole Super A to Culti-pack everything in. Had my #1 Side kick on hand to help, bag seeder was about to whoop him Lol. We had fun.

View attachment 34378View attachment 34382View attachment 34379View attachment 34381

Great post!

dearl

Four Pointer
Checked on the power line/Gas line plots...The gas line is doing great, tons of tracks in it already. This rain coming in should kick this power line stand in high gear, I see some of the oat seed already starting to pop out, this rain should drive it on in.

Power line stand
01.jpg
02.jpg

Gas Line plot
03.jpg
05.jpg

Scrub

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

View attachment 34378View attachment 34382View attachment 34379View attachment 34381

Cool pics is that an old Farmall and the other a Ford? Love them old tractors, I plant my soybeans with an old John Deere 71 corn planter.

dearl

Four Pointer
Yep, the farmall is a 1956 Super A, and the other is my sons Ford 3400. The ford is a beast with the disc and bush hog. We use the Super A more planting fire breaks, and small plots. I have a Massey 240 that Im working on now, 3 cylinder Perkins...Looking to pull the big 10' Disc we have so we can start working the bigger fields next year.