On the Hunt for Trout Gold

Being a West Virginia native now a second time Tar Heel; sometimes I long for things from back home. One particular thing is the West Virginia Golden Rainbow Trout. This is a Rainbow Trout like no other. By the way, these are not or Colorado Goldens.

WV Goldern Rainbow.jpg

They are 20 times more skiddish than a wild Brookie, harder to catch that a Brown, vision so good they can see you from 30 yards away. And as enticing as a 24 karat bar of pure Gold from Fort Knox. When they go after bait its like a shark feeding frenzy only on a smaller in scale. They get under your skin for sure!

I know that these little neon rockets are stocked in North Carolina. I have heard possibly the Dan River but I am to far away for there.

Does anyone know where I can find these gems in western North Carolina?

Also, here is some additional information for you if you are unfamiliar with these lovely fish.

West Virginia Gold Rush 2020

Rainbow vs Golden Rainbow

Banjo

Old Mossy Horns
Where in WV did you grow up. I grew up in Elkins. I have caught a truck load of goldies. We are going up in March for a fishing trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I go to Va to catch them they are cool fish. As far as NC I have never caught one here outside Cherokee they used have them but I think they stopped now

Reactions: CRC

Dick

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
caught several stocked in Pa. I loved it when they stocked them for the opener. Made room in other areas because everyone was trying to catch them. šŸ˜„
and they were usually so well fed before the opener due to people scouting and throwing handfuls of bait to them constantly for days.
I did not see any difference in how the act or eat compared to other species, but they were all stocked fish.

Going Coastal

Eight Pointer
Unless things have changed, the Dan River in Va. from Meadows of Dan ( pinnacles) to the Nc. line is not stocked with golden trout.

Its been 6 or 7 years ago, I caught several golden trout in Cherokee Nc. and saw plenty of elk.

Cripple Creek pay to fish has goldens.
It's in the Wythville, Rural Retreat Va. area.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk

Where in WV did you grow up. I grew up in Elkins. I have caught a truck load of goldies. We are going up in March for a fishing trip.

A small town called Shady Spring which sits between Buckley and Bluefield.

Unless things have changed, the Dan River in Va. from Meadows of Dan ( pinnacles) to the Nc. line is not stocked with golden trout.

Its been 6 or 7 years ago, I caught several golden trout in Cherokee Nc. and saw plenty of elk.

Cripple Creek pay to fish has goldens.
It's in the Wythville, Rural Retreat Va. area.

Sent from my LGL164VL using Tapatalk
I have fished Cripple Creek and a couple of other in Rural Retreat. Awesome fish there for sure.

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Being a West Virginia native now a second time Tar Heel; sometimes I long for things from back home. One particular thing is the West Virginia Golden Rainbow Trout. This is a Rainbow Trout like no other. By the way, these are not or Colorado Goldens.

View attachment 59538

They are 20 times more skiddish than a wild Brookie, harder to catch that a Brown, vision so good they can see you from 30 yards away. And as enticing as a 24 karat bar of pure Gold from Fort Knox. When they go after bait its like a shark feeding frenzy only on a smaller in scale. They get under your skin for sure!

I know that these little neon rockets are stocked in North Carolina. I have heard possibly the Dan River but I am to far away for there.

Does anyone know where I can find these gems in western North Carolina?

Also, here is some additional information for you if you are unfamiliar with these lovely fish.

West Virginia Gold Rush 2020

Rainbow vs Golden Rainbow
Wilson creek....that is all I am saying. If you can find them then you will have earned them...

Back Fork of the Elk River used to be awesome for Goldens. I would love to get back up there some time soon.