On the board!

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
I shot a doe this evening in Montgomery County.

It’s the first deer I’ve killed while self-filming.

I had to call Jesse Houser and use his dog to find her. Semper Fi went straight to her. I misjudged the location of the deer at impact. The dog figured it out in 30 seconds and found her in less than 5 minutes.

Can’t wait to get ahold of those backstraps! [emoji16]

7d0e39566c461554015233cc605d5b06.jpg
c31d9375e8f3e1472c730d5b031c1888.jpg
c931c5cd06d19b9849d9e8fb597ff995.jpg
59d36f8303a97fdb67648b33aba189e1.jpg

Last edited:

np307

Ten Pointer
Congrats. I'm glad he and Semper got an easy track. He was helping me yesterday morning and said it's been a tough year. Several really long, unsuccessful tracks already.

I do have to ask though, if you had the shot on film, why didn't you just review the film to see where she was?

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Congrats. I'm glad he and Semper got an easy track. He was helping me yesterday morning and said it's been a tough year. Several really long, unsuccessful tracks already.

I do have to ask though, if you had the shot on film, why didn't you just review the film to see where she was?

Good question...

I actually did while still in the stand when it got too dark to film. Shot looked a little high in slow motion but I was confused by what the nock did.

I could see POI & then the nock just disappears. So I thought I had a pass through. I climbed down & walked over to the spot where I thought she was & didn’t see the arrow, blood or anything. So I was immediately confused. I walked around in a 10 yard semi circle hoping to find some sign of the hit because I KNEW I hit her. But found absolutely nothing.

I knew Jesse was close so I elected to call him & back out.

Later that night I replayed the footage on the big screen at home. What happened was the arrow did hit her high (she ducked probably 6 inches) but it didn’t pass thru.

What’s crazy is you can see the lighted nock until impact and then it just disappears. You can also see half of the arrow wobbling outside of her as she runs off. (Glad I have a white wrap & 2 white vanes)

The nock must have turned off at impact & fell out of the arrow. I’m using Chinese nockturnals that were actually for a different size shaft. They don’t fit as tight as they should but I never have had an issue while practicing with them. Looks like I’ll be ordering some new correct sized real ones. I started using them when I started filming my hunts. They really help to see impact.

I’m just thankful I was able to recover her.

Jay/NC

Eight Pointer
Congrats! That self filming looks difficult and even more so with multiple cameras. Well done.

Filming is tough but I’m still learning. The best part is I get rewatch the footage with my son & teach him all kinds of things that will help his development as a hunter & hopefully shorten his learning curve.

Gannon’s 12yo now & this is his first bow season. He’s been with me twice but he has yet to see a critter while bow hunting.

np307

Ten Pointer

Good question...

I actually did while still in the stand when it got too dark to film. Shot looked a little high in slow motion but I was confused by what the nock did.

I could see POI & then the nock just disappears. So I thought I had a pass through. I climbed down & walked over to the spot where I thought she was & didn’t see the arrow, blood or anything. So I was immediately confused. I walked around in a 10 yard semi circle hoping to find some sign of the hit because I KNEW I hit her. But found absolutely nothing.

I knew Jesse was close so I elected to call him & back out.

Later that night I replayed the footage on the big screen at home. What happened was the arrow did hit her high (she ducked probably 6 inches) but it didn’t pass thru.

What’s crazy is you can see the lighted nock until impact and then it just disappears. You can also see half of the arrow wobbling outside of her as she runs off. (Glad I have a white wrap & 2 white vanes)

The nock must have turned off at impact & fell out of the arrow. I’m using Chinese nockturnals that were actually for a different size shaft. They don’t fit as tight as they should but I never have had an issue while practicing with them. Looks like I’ll be ordering some new correct sized real ones. I started using them when I started filming my hunts. They really help to see impact.

I’m just thankful I was able to recover her.
Wow, that's interesting. Another reminder that it's not always as cut and dry as we think. Congrats again on your deer.