On a scale of 1 to 10... how would you rate... your season

jug

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
(y)
Hunted 11 mornings. Heard turkeys gobble all those mornings which has never happened for me. Called up 2 in Rockingham county, but never fired a shot.
I give my season a 7.

redbow

Ten Pointer
I would rate mine a 10. Hunted three mornings. Killed a nice 2 year old the first hunt. Missed a boss gobbler on the second hunt. Called in two toms on the third hunt, got em to 25 yards and my gun didn't fire. I'm thinking I didn't close the action all the way. Didn't really care though, the show was worth it. Overall, a great season.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Never heard a bird gobble in NC. Had a good out of state trip. Had 2 toms inside 40 yards dead to rights. Didnt lose anything. Didnt break anything. Came home safe after every hunt. Never fired a shot all year. Had a blast, ready to do it again next year....Id give my season a solid 9.

Reactions: jug

Lucky Clucker

Old Mossy Horns
I say a 8. Did not find or many birds.we,killed 6. Called in 1 for a friend,Hunted all but 4 days of the season from,SC,TO LAST day here.Got lucky on the ones I found gobbling as they were about all that was there.Next year is going be a coin toss,no jakes,in most places I hunted AnD very few on the other properties.

Last edited:

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I give every turkey season I'm blessed to Have a solid 10. As usual few mishaps along the way such as a miss at point blank range. Opening dayvwad trying get one for guy and it turned into a solid mess of copters, Hikers, and forest service workers. Killed one Mon and Fri of opening week and had really fun road trip topped off with killing the prettiest eastern I've taken with white wings. Time spent with with family and friends way more valuable than the kills just need more Time would be my only complaint. Can't wait till Oct to get after the birds again.

bowhuntingrook

Old Mossy Horns
A 7 for me I guess. I didn't hunt but half as much as usual, and being out there is what makes my season. I was able to kill a mature bird just the way I like to do it, chasing a gobbling bird after flydown and using the diaphragm to get him close. I was able to hunt with my son 4 times and first day we got one to 30 yards, strutting with hens, just no shot. Heard few, saw fewer. I found 3 gobblers day before last, they never gobbled, that was nice considering I heard the least gobbles in the last 5 years this year. It gives us hope for more birds next year.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Billy

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I tagged out on 2 mature gobblers, but my original goal was to get my 9 year old grandson a turkey. I failed in that, mainly because he had obligations more important than turkey hunting, so I'll give my season a 7.

TravisLH

Old Mossy Horns
10/10..... I made some mistakes, learned a lot and put down a bird. Only thing that woulda made it better is if I’d managed to get my daughter a shot on one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

grim reaper

Ten Pointer
As far as just being in the turkey woods I'd say every season is a 10, was lucky enough to keep a longstanding streak of tagging out going. Hunted quite a few days to do so. Watched a buddy miss at 25 yards. Only thing that would have made it better would have been to get my grandpa on one, we came really close opening day. He hasn't killed one in 3-4 seasons and mobility is making it harder every season. If I could just get him 1 more....as far as amount of gobbling goes this season I'd give it a 3 for my hunting areas, maybe even a 2

Helium

Old Mossy Horns
Definitely a 10...

For just being able to go BUT also hunted 4 days in NC and tagged out. Birds gobbling each day.

Hunted VA 4 days with birds gobbling each day. Missed one... too far of a shot.

Still hope to hunt VA this sat for last day of season and kill one there

cuttem boys

Six Pointer
10 for me I was able to hunt the first two weeks in N.C. and the third week in NY and had 33 shoot able birds inside shotgun range

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'd rate mine about a 4. All my hunting spots are at least 2.5 hour away, so pre-scouting is kind of tough. The one time I planned on pre-scouting got rained out. So, I had to go in blind. The place I usually go for the first weekend, I delayed to the 2nd weekend, because last year, the land owners brother screwed me over. I figured to give him the first weekend and I'd be clear the second. Nope, there he was the second weekend! I did manage a bird on the 3rd weekend at my Aunt's farm. The last two weekends, my cousin and I had permits on game lands. Ended up, he couldn't go either weekend. I decided to hunt family land on the 4th weekend with no luck, and was just too tired of traveling to hunt the last weekend. The only bird I had a chance at the whole season was the one I got at my Aunt's farm.

Downeast

Twelve Pointer
About average. I hunted one morning and the neighbor shot the bird a few minutes before I could get to it. I took the shotgun one other day and scouted around looking and listening. Heard and saw nothing so I took a seat on a stump along a cutover and lo and behold a stupid turkey stepped out of the woods and walked right past me like he owned the place. Since I knew he hadn't invested a dime in the property or paid any taxes I killed the worthless bum. No calling, no camo, just shot him dead. Nine inch beard and a little over an inch spur length. So, I hunted one day and killed nothing and killed a turkey on the day I was goofing off. I still can't get excited over turkeys or turkey hunting. I've killed quite a few of the nasty smelly things over the years but it does nothing for me. But I have to go to be "cool" with my buddies. I did find a good sale the other day on frozen turkey breasts and I have to admit that I got a bit excited over that! Time to pull out the smoker and invite the heathens over for some "wild turkey". They still can't figure out how my birds are always so flavorful and juicy. They have to marinade, soak, use oven bags, and do all kinds of weird things to get their birds to the level of edibility. I guess I'm just to evil to tell them the truth. :ROFLMAO:

wolfman

Old Mossy Horns
9.5 Tagged out, took friends and was still chasing birds on the last day. Had a great time with my daughter. I hate it for her that she missed one during youth season. Seeing her tote a bird out would have been the only way to make the season better.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Give it a 9 out of 10, only reason it's not a 10 out of 10 is I didn't have my daughter practice enough with the gun prior to youth season. Oh and my truck is still in the shop from the accident in the way home from KY.

We had a great catch and release hunt on the youth opener, I killed a good bird on the adult opener. Went to KY and got my rear handed to me but hunted in the snow and had a good time in camp. Season wouldn't be complete if there wasn't a little humiliation mixed in. Came home Wednesday and killed my second in NC that Saturday, very good bird with 1 3/8 and 1.5 in spurs. Struck out last year so redemption was in order. Only complaint was it was too short!

Last edited:

dlbaile

Ten Pointer
would rate mine a 10 , for the simple reason took a new friend for his first turkey hunt which was a success with us scoring a double, and for me first time tagging out in a season,only wish my season would have lasted longer only got to hunt first week,but definetly one i will remember.

JD1107

Mine was a 9. I accomplished all the goals I had for the season except doubling with my hunting partner again. My first goal was to take a bird off a property that I had been hunting for three years with out any success. Ended up killing two birds off that property. Next goal was to kill one with no decoys and both birds I killed where without the use of decoys. My other goal was to tag out for the first time ever and I was able to pull that one off as well.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I had a TEN for sure. I took 2 fine birds and had the single most awesome hunt of my turkey hunting days- still thinking about it every day. I got to hear several gobblers, saw 2 long beards besides the ones I shot and there's a mature gobbler hanging out close to home right now after the season has ended. I love the turkey hunting!!!

Reactions: jug

wolfpacker

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

Opening morning i thought was going to be a layup as i knew where the bird was roosted. Bird seemed scared of the blind. Got him that afternoon after a hen led him in the woods for a little while and we got set up just in time for him to come back out and beat up the jake decoy. Called in a jake on the same farm saturday and sunday of the 3rd weekend. Left him for next year. Only heard 3 gobbles at another farm. Got to hunt 4 mornings and 1 afternoon.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
About 7.

Weather sucked for most part when I had time to get out.

Finally got birds to respond to my calling, got into shooting range and I whiffed on the shot. Was pretty thrilling non the less.

Already looking forward to next season.

Putt

Old Mossy Horns
MIne was 15.. Limited out on 2 Saturdays in NC. Took the two largest bird I have ever taken. On the Second Saturday was a double set of long beards with my oldest son, taking a bird in another county. Then on the third Saturday my youngest son taking a long beard I called in in WVA. The last week I called in two other long beards for a guy, and I could have killed them if I hadn't already limited out, but he couldn't see the birds head. They were in kill range!! So, my season was absolutely one of my best. I feel so blessed this turkey season.

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
9. I was able to see and hear things I never have before in my relatively young turkey hunting career. Full strut Tom spitting within 10 steps, no blind, and he didn't know I was there. Missed him (or it would be a 10) but days later collected my by far best bird ever and shared it's deliciousness with my office and members at my hunt club. Very blessed this year (and every other). Yes turkey hunting will cause me to lose sleep, and even curse, but it's those rare and few "highs" that have me already thinking about next season.

ScottyB

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
9 for me. Called in a kids first bird on youth opener and he pulled the shot.....put a new club member on his first bird and watched him get it done! Oldest son tagged out! Youngest son and myself never killed.... it was a different season as far as timing and gobbling but completely successful!