Older fishing stores

sll

Four Pointer
Does anyone know the name of any older mom & pop type stores over in NC that may still have some older tackle in stock? Looking for some discontinued baits that the newer stores will not have.

sll

Four Pointer
I collect old tackle and have thousands of lures, what ya looking?
Probably not as old as you collect. I am looking for certain discontinued baits from the last 5-20 years. Lucky Craft BDS series, original Wiggle Warts, Jackall Bling 55, Pre-Pradco Bandits, Xcaliburs....etc.

Mack in N.C.

Old Mossy Horns
used to be one on 5th or 10th street in Roanoke rapids. it was a fishing store convenience store handout place, I used to go there in the late 90's or so and he would let me pull out boxes of old lures . I would spend hours in there rummaging through boxes and boxes of old lures while the locals played cards. I usually left there several hundred dollars poorer. It is closed now. miss that place.

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I miss Deaton’s in Troy and Hoots in Albemarle. We’ll probably never see old tackle stores like that again.

Shine

Six Pointer
Contributor
The bait store in Pittsboro has been there for a while. Its on 64 Business East (East St), hours are always random.

sll

Four Pointer
I need names if you can provide them as I am in East TN and will have to call them to check.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I need names if you can provide them as I am in East TN and will have to call them to check.
You just missed a huge opportunity the second weekend in January, the NFLCC has it's regional tackle show in Pigeon Forge. All the stuff you seek plus much more. Also original Wiggle Warts are for sale almost daily on Joe's Old Lures website, you can Google it.

sll

Four Pointer
Also original Wiggle Warts are for sale almost daily on Joe's Old Lures website, you can Google it.
Yea, They are all over E-bay also if you are interested in starting about $40 each........there are still some of these older mom&pop shops that still have old stock if you just put the time in to look for them.

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
.......there are still some of these older mom&pop shops that still have old stock if you just put the time in to look for them.
Yeah, I did that for years in the 1990's and 2000's, but it has pretty much dried up now. Hill's in Raleigh was the best, they had stuff in the back from the 40's thru the 80's, but would not let you go back there. You just had to keep checking the shelves. He would put out J bugs in cardboard boxes, and I bought an entire Heddon counter display of Toni lures one time. Also Outhouse Tackle near Falls Lake had factory advertising and salesman sample rings stored upstairs. I look in every tackle shop now, but see it no more. Your better chance now is antique shops and flea markets. I bought 40 original Warts not too long ago from a mom & pop antique shop in PA for $3@.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
i need another bone p-70 popr stiab. The old good ones. Do you have any? I use them not look at them so packaging, hooks dont matter.

My daddy played with this stuff for decades and his was the first tackle shop to sell zoom crankbaits.
It is amazing what special value folks can place on baits.
My favorite is one he acquired a few months before he passed. Ed Chambers (zoom owner) had made a few 'Bill Poe" special crankbaits and daddy had sold all of them but got one back. A zoom crankbait named after you is unique. :)

stiab

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Think I have one in Baby Bass, but they all look like bone if you strip the paint. I sold $1200 worth at the Montaghan Fishing Show two weekends ago, and if it did not sell I will give it to you. It is an older single knock. Will take me about a week before I can go thru the stuff and know for sure, will let you know.

Winnie 70

Ten Pointer
Does anyone know the name of any older mom & pop type stores over in NC that may still have some older tackle in stock? Looking for some discontinued baits that the newer stores will not have.
A K Mc Kellum in Fayetteville, NC has what you looking for.

sll

Four Pointer
i need another bone p-70 popr stiab. The old good ones. Do you have any? I use them not look at them so packaging, hooks dont matter.

My daddy played with this stuff for decades and his was the first tackle shop to sell zoom crankbaits.
It is amazing what special value folks can place on baits.
My favorite is one he acquired a few months before he passed. Ed Chambers (zoom owner) had made a few 'Bill Poe" special crankbaits and daddy had sold all of them but got one back. A zoom crankbait named after you is unique. :)
I have won some good money on the old Pop-R's and still have several, but don't discount the latest run they did as that one-ball knocker means nothing if you fish them the way we do here. The Pop-R is more about how you fish it and what knot you use.

And for Ed to name a crankbait after you isn't just unique.....it was an honor! (y)

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I have won some good money on the old Pop-R's and still have several, but don't discount the latest run they did as that one-ball knocker means nothing if you fish them the way we do here. The Pop-R is more about how you fish it and what knot you use.

And for Ed to name a crankbait after you isn't just unique.....it was an honor! (y)
east teneessee is indeed the home of the p70 technique. I just like the old version but I am curious, which of the new imitation p70s do yall prefer? Every company seems to have one out now.
I do have one "trick" on mine. I use two "feathered" trebles. I was amazed at how many i got on both hooks when i went with two versus one.

sll

Four Pointer
I can't say myself as there are only 3 topwater baits that I throw according to water temp and season myself......Long A, P70, and Spook. I am old school......my boys make fun of me because I don't buy the newer baits. 6th Sense make a P70 version that looks good but I haven't used one. I never use a P70 as a popper, only as a walking bait. One of my friends that I grew up and fished with for years made the P70 popular when he fished the FLW circuit. That is what drove the prices up on them. He let the cat out of the bag on the Long A also during that time........we were the ones that figured it out as a wake bait and made some good money for years before that leaked out.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
I can't say myself as there are only 3 topwater baits that I throw according to water temp and season myself......Long A, P70, and Spook. I am old school......my boys make fun of me because I don't buy the newer baits. 6th Sense make a P70 version that looks good but I haven't used one. I never use a P70 as a popper, only as a walking bait. One of my friends that I grew up and fished with for years made the P70 popular when he fished the FLW circuit. That is what drove the prices up on them. He let the cat out of the bag on the Long A also during that time........we were the ones that figured it out as a wake bait and made some good money for years before that leaked out.
yes there are a zillion poppers but that walk is special on the p70.
Cool that you were right there on the whole rebirth of the bait. Was your friend CP?
I wish that word had leaked out more quickly.
It is a beast to fish correctly in the right places. not for the average angler.
Thanks for the feedback.
As to your original question the best collections of old baits in central NC now reside not is tackle shops but in "collectors"
like yourself.
If you want some contacts for them I can help but they are acquirers more than sellers so you now what that means. :)

jmcleod

Six Pointer
You could try Thomas bait and tackle in Sanford. I haven’t been in there in a couple of years but they may have some things your looking.

sll

Four Pointer
yes there are a zillion poppers but that walk is special on the p70.
Cool that you were right there on the whole rebirth of the bait. Was your friend CP?
I wish that word had leaked out more quickly.
It is a beast to fish correctly in the right places. not for the average angler.
Thanks for the feedback.
As to your original question the best collections of old baits in central NC now reside not is tackle shops but in "collectors"
like yourself.
If you want some contacts for them I can help but they are acquirers more than sellers so you now what that means. :)
Yes, Craig and I grew up around each other. Our dad's used to fish together when were little and then we carried on the tradition. The main trick to the P70 is casting accuracy....we put it where a lot of people have a hard time flipping a jig into. When you grow up fishing on smaller lakes with 200 boats in the tournaments you have to learn to put a bait where others don't as the only time you aren't fishing behind someone is your first stop of the day.

Some of the baits I am looking for have just been discontinued the last 2-3 years so there are still some smaller shops that have them in their stock if you can find them.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
jetty tuttle Trinity NC. Liquidating his store.
Clemmons bait and tackle clemmons nc.
Bobcat tackle clarksville va
Jimmy thomas Thomas bait and tackle sanford nc
Fishing fever- high point NC
dave's tournament tackle, jamestown NC, Dave Fearrington

I will check with a couple of tackle hoarders and see if they want to sell anything. If so i'll PM you their info,
same thing for you @stiab

nekkedducker

Ten Pointer
Yep was also gonna say Thomas Bait and Tackle and AK Macullum is where I would start

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

sll

Four Pointer
Aberdeen bait and tackle- big lucky strike collection 910 944 6016. Mr. everett.
Dealt with him before. He is a big E-Bayer and pulls baits off his shelf when the demand for them picks up and sells them on there.

I have tried every place you guys have mentioned and have had no luck yet.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Dealt with him before. He is a big E-Bayer and pulls baits off his shelf when the demand for them picks up and sells them on there.

I have tried every place you guys have mentioned and have had no luck yet.
i think that it'll be tough finding undervalued hard baits in NC . It is after all the "home " of cranking. :) Many collectors and ebayers and users that scour for the stuff.
I found a guy with 20 of those jackall baits you mentioned and hell he wants to keep them to fish with. :)

SUDDEN IMPACT

Eight Pointer
Probably not as old as you collect. I am looking for certain discontinued baits from the last 5-20 years. Lucky Craft BDS series, original Wiggle Warts, Jackall Bling 55, Pre-Pradco Bandits, Xcaliburs....etc.

Got xr50's? I'm always looking for those

ChathamHill

Button Buck

Are the re-makes of the P70 they did a few years back any good? I have 10 of them, 5 brand new still in the package. You tying loop knot or what?