old locOn find

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
I bought this LocOn Limit off Craigslist for $20 yesterday. These were the stands of my hunting youth in the early 80s, so I'm kind of nostalgic for them. Before you go on about how uncomfortable the seats are, this stand weighs a whopping 7.5 pounds. They were built just strong enough to do the job. People weren't so sue-happy back then. I'm planning to pare it with some light-weight sticks and make an ultralight rig for hunting back country. Just thought I would share for anyone who's also into vintage hunting gear.

1011180838a.jpg

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yep, I remember carrying that same stand and a pocketful of screw in steps on my back and spending many an hour squirming on that seat as it cut the circulation off on my legs while trying to sit still.
Make sure and take a good look at the cables and the crimped ends, and WEAR YOUR SAFETY EQUIPMENT.
I think they call that stuff "vintage" now..... ;)

darenative

Twelve Pointer
Nice find.
I have one loc on brand treestand left, a spirit. I use it for swamp and marsh hunts every year. Light as a feather and quiet to put up. I don't know how many deer I've killed out of it in the last 30 years, but it's a pile of em.

Dolfan21

Ten Pointer
I still use the original lone wolf assault stand- its the very first design they had. It doesn't have versa buttons on it and just uses two hooks to secure the tree strap. I also picked it up off craigslist.....its way lighter than the current stands, I want to say its around 8lbs. They dont make the seat pads for it anymore so I had to rig one up, that is about all that wrong with it. I will post a pic when I get home.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
actually that is a "new" locon find. new in terms of it being a late model for them. I like the ones tha had the sharp platform attachments to the tree. I hope to sit in one of them tomorrow.
for the leg circulation I use a strap to belt cushion that doubles as a back rest if needed.

truly old school. :)

25contender

Twelve Pointer
Ha I have 10 locons up and use them all the time. Nothing a good cushion wont solve. Rhat is actually a newer model.

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
It hurts my butt and back just looking at it. :) I have sit any many of them. I have purchased Millennium M100U's. They are in my opinion, the most comfortable.
if it is as comfortable as their boat seat I definitely need them. Those things are something else. we took off the war eagle factory seats and went with the millennium. now different body parts give out before my butt and back. :)

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
actually that is a "new" locon find. new in terms of it being a late model for them. I like the ones tha had the sharp platform attachments to the tree. I hope to sit in one of them tomorrow.
for the leg circulation I use a strap to belt cushion that doubles as a back rest if needed.

truly old school. :)

Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know when this version of the Limit was sold? The guy I bought if from said he thought he bought it in the 80s, but wasn't sure .

MJ74

Old Mossy Horns
I have never sat in any type of hang on stand but I do remember that brand.

sent from...... Tapatalk

oldest school

Old Mossy Horns
Just out of curiosity, do you happen to know when this version of the Limit was sold? The guy I bought if from said he thought he bought it in the 80s, but wasn't sure .
I would say late eighties if not nineties. The strap on and those cable supports are definitely way past the LEMs of the eighties.

Excursion

Ten Pointer
I got a pile of the OLD original Loc On stands. These came direct from the owner when he first started. I have a few up with the wood platform. Makes me smile every time I get to sit in one. I remember back in the early 80's..........................

Guybo

Eight Pointer
Brings back memories, I still have a couple of the Loc-On Lems that I purchased new but they aren't safe to use anymore. I killed lots of deer out of those stands so I have them hanging under the barn just for memories. I also have a couple of the older Amacker Timberlock loc on stands hanging beside them as well. Loc ons have come a long way since then.

Aaron H

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
So they make other type stands these days? Ha! I hunt from Loc-On stands every year. My all time favorite is the Windwalker, a 5.5 pound built by Loc-on arounf 1990 I guess. My best deer were shot from this lightweight perch back in the pre-baiting days. Just take a bow or gun, the stand and some steps and walk till you spot a good place with deer sign. Climb and kill. I don't do it that way but rarely these days, still the very best way to take a deer.

cheapdate

Eight Pointer
So they make other type stands these days? Ha! I hunt from Loc-On stands every year. My all time favorite is the Windwalker, a 5.5 pound built by Loc-on arounf 1990 I guess. My best deer were shot from this lightweight perch back in the pre-baiting days. Just take a bow or gun, the stand and some steps and walk till you spot a good place with deer sign. Climb and kill. I don't do it that way but rarely these days, still the very best way to take a deer.
If you ever want to sell the windwalker, let me know.

DarrinG

Six Pointer
That's not a Spirit model. That's the Loc-On Limit. I had one once upon a time. Lighter and smaller than the Spirit. I sure wish they still made those Spirit stands. Hooked with a chain, no cable supports (angle aluminum supports) and a mesh platform. Put some electrical tape on the seat bar and some thick pool-noodle-type foam on the bar (tape to keep it from squeaking) and man those were rock-solid, good stands.

herman

Six Pointer
I had one of the loc-on's years ago and really liked it when I was younger.But someone Stole it .
Had one of the climbers that they had years ago.I don't use the climbers anymore and gave it to my newphew last year.
I really liked this one you could adjust going up or down the tree.

5 Shot

Ten Pointer
I picked up 5 LoC On Spirit Models this morning I found on Market place. They were all in great shape. Got all 5 for $100. I have been trying to e one. Pretty excited. I like the Ol School stuff

darenative

Twelve Pointer
I picked up 5 LoC On Spirit Models this morning I found on Market place. They were all in great shape. Got all 5 for $100. I have been trying to e one. Pretty excited. I like the Ol School stuff
That was a findšŸ¤˜
Last few i saw for sale on other hunting forums were way more than that for a single stand.

Guybo

Eight Pointer
The Loc-on Lem was one of my favorite stands and I had several of them years ago. I actually still have one but it's pretty weathered and I'd be afraid to use it now.

I also have a couple of the old Amacker Timberlocs that are still very usable but at age 60 I pretty much use ladders and ground blinds these days for bowhunting.