Ol' Birdseye

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
It all started when I bought the Huntveiw Plus cards. I was trying to get around loading Birdseye maps to use on my tablet. The tablet will not show the dogs on Basecamp, basestation mode with out a current subscription and down loading new maps to Basecamp on the tablet every year. I put the Huntveiw Plus in the Alpha thinking all would be fine. I have been fighting with the Garmin since my Birdseye subscription expired sometime between 10/12 and 10/18. Had my back up Drive Track with me though with the Huntveiw card. Then the Drive Track must have crashed several times Friday and at least 10 times before noon Saturday. Yes, both are up to date on updates. Took care of that Friday night, thought that may be part of my issue. Somebody could have got a DriveTrack 70 cheap! I don't like the Huntveiw card in the DT got to have it zoomed in too far to see clear detail. Well, on the way home I stopped by Pets of America, Buzzard Roost has a shop there, and picked up 2 subscriptions of Birdseye. Activated them using Garmin Express. Then Basecamp would not let me download new maps on my tablet. Finally, I realized that was due to the Alpha down loading the internal memory. Could not see it all on the tablet like on a desktop. I can only see one line at a time on the tablet. Well, thank goodness I figured that out, I was about to throw it all in the pond. Got new maps loaded and ready to go. Then I hooked the DT-70 up and decided I would activate Birdseye and down load maps on it. So, I tried to just transfer maps to the mini-sd card, dang to was too simple. Checked and that worked. So then I got to thinking about downloading the maps and using the card with the tablet and see if that works. Then I realized I needed a mini-sd for the tablet. I then took the Huntveiw plus card and plugged it in the tablet. I Couldn't tell what was going on, found the maps on the menu and nothing. Boom! Finally maps pop up. I remove them. to repeat the process nothing. Just thought I had it figured out.:unsure: Then out of no where the maps popped up. Remember, not being able to see every action on the tablet. Yelp! Figured out it just took that long to load it. Hooked the Alpha back up, basestation mode and hit Basestation and satellite images did not disappear. Now, I thought is that because I have a Birdseye subscription or not. I then went and got my other Alpha without a current Birdseye subscription and plugged that into the tablet, opened Basecamp and the Huntveiw images where still there. Hit Basestation and Huntveiw images were still there. Now, why couldn't the people at the help desk have ask me if the Huntveiw card was in my tablet or Alpha 100? I have already naturally lost a bunch of hair, didn't need to pull anymore out. Just maybe I have it figured out there is a way to have the satellite images on Basecamp and show the dogs in Basestation mode with out having to mess with Birdseye every year. We'll see. What is amazing to me is the Huntview in just as clear as the Birdseye when zoomed out on my tablet, but not on the DT-70.

Last edited:

whitty

Six Pointer
They haven’t changed any of the satellite pictures have they? The woods have changed a lot since those pictures were taken for mine.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
They haven’t changed any of the satellite pictures have they? The woods have changed a lot since those pictures were taken for mine.
They have changed since I first got mine in 2012. I really haven't compared any lately. Well, I did on one tract that was logged about 4 years ago. Those have not changed and I think the Huntveiw is the same.

JDHowell

Ten Pointer
You will have to redraw your maps on day 366 for your tablet. Think of it as them staying stored while your subscription is active and when it expires,,,,,so do those images.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
You will have to redraw your maps on day 366 for your tablet. Think of it as them staying stored while your subscription is active and when it expires,,,,,so do those images.
When I linked my Alpha that does not have an active Birdseye subscription to my tablet with the Huntveiw card in the tablet and activated Basecamp the satellite images did not disappear. I will check it later with the collars on to see what happens.

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
Tablet with Basecamp did work with Huntveiw card(in SD card port of tablet), without subscription of Birdseye on the Alpha it was linked to. Test it today while hunting.

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Dang, Ive not gotten around to adding my free year of Birdseye to my Alpha yet....hell, Im having trouble just getting the Garmin site to download the update for my TT15 mini. Says there is a problem on the Garmin end of it.

• Sad
Reactions: DRS

DRS

Old Mossy Horns
I have long give up on that crap for the hunt view cards.

I know you said the Huntview card would work. I thought that was it in the Alpha. After going through all of that I realized you meant plugged into the tablet. That is the reason tried it.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I know you said the Huntview card would work. I thought that was it in the Alpha. After going through all of that I realized you meant plugged into the tablet. That is the reason tried it.
Yeah, I use it in both.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Just got an alpha.
I can’t get this BirdsEye feature to work, the garmin express program doesn’t even recognize the unit is plugged in.
For what I paid for this thing, I’m not too impressed so far. The base camp and express programs seem to leave a lot to be desired.

FireDuck401

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
An update on the post I made earlier.
The issue with the program not recognizing my unit was a faulty USB port.
I’m still not too impressed with the BaseMap app nor birds eye but I’m going to pick up a card so that should fix that.

I’ve had time now to really use the unit some and I’m impressed with the unit. The range, features, and quality seem great. I have been working with an older dog getting her broke to the tone and it’s coming right along.
The Alpha came recommended by some of you and I appreciate that. So far, the unit has been great.

nccatfisher

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
An update on the post I made earlier.
The issue with the program not recognizing my unit was a faulty USB port.
I’m still not too impressed with the BaseMap app nor birds eye but I’m going to pick up a card so that should fix that.

I’ve had time now to really use the unit some and I’m impressed with the unit. The range, features, and quality seem great. I have been working with an older dog getting her broke to the tone and it’s coming right along.
The Alpha came recommended by some of you and I appreciate that. So far, the unit has been great.
Quit using express and switch over to Web Updater for you updates. It is much easier.

Reactions: RJ1

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
I have long give up on that crap for the hunt view cards.
I can't stand it. And while I don't run hounds 99% of the time the compass arrow display tells me what I need to know. I have a low tolerance for frustration with that type of thing though.

QBD2

Old Mossy Horns
Is there a way to shade open water(lake) blue, like the creeks, on a Huntview chip?