Okay time for some advice to the macho men

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
We are men, we are macho, we are outdoorsman, a lot of us spend a lot of time outside, we think nothing will harm us, we are tough. So listen up and learn from my experience.

It's not really a MAN thing to get an annual checkup with a dermatologist, but I've been doing it for several years. A spot frozen here and there and all is well. Last week I had my annual visit and the doctor found a spot of the back of my neck that caused a hmmmm. She left the room, came back with another doctor and now two hmmmm's. Red flag right there when two doctors go hmmmm. She called late last week but I was hunting where there was no cell coverage, left a message that she needed to discuss the results of the biopsy. Not good, a doctor does not call you to tell you that everything is fine. She called today, biopsy showed malignant melanoma and needs to be further treated. Two hours later I'm sitting in her office and two hours after that she has cut out a plug with an incision three inches long and very deep. She went deep because it is so close to the lymph nodes, they wanted to be certain they got it all. Very very early stage of melanoma and she is confident that it has not spread, but had it not been found and treated it could have developed into a serious situation.

Wise up fellow hunters and outdoorsman, if you don't regularly visit a dermatologist then start doing it now. Instead of an annual visit I am now on a six month visit and you can bet that I will be there. I always wear a hat when outside and sometimes sunscreen but now sunscreen will be a must. Melanoma cancer is nothing to take lightly, thank God that I caught this early on before it spread.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Had a spot cut off my back last year. I expect I’ll have more cut in the next 50-60 years. Familial history of all types.

Sounds like your procedure was Mohs, mine was full excision.

dubbeltap69

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Indeed. The sun is not your friend as you get older. Unfortunately by the time we get older the damage is already done.

Glad they caught it early enough to treat with just a minor surgery.

Lawnscaper

Eight Pointer
Contributor
Good Word Mr. Z
Just went today for my 6 month check up, had a few spots frozen on my face and back but good to go for another 6 months

spinnerbaitor48

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
I go every year one month after my complete physical.....hope all is good with ya....it's nothing to play with for sure

Thomas270

Ten Pointer
Yes sir I hear you loud and clear, being fair complected I burn easily and have a lot of sun damage already from 36 years out in the elements. Thanks for the push to go get checked out.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Yeah they found one on my forehead year before last. By the time they quit cutting I swore they had cured my receding hairline and I had a new goatee...
I get check every year now from top to bottom, that wasn't any fun...

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Glad they caught it early. That's part of what I do daily, and it's not easy looking at what I know is going to change folks lives and not be able to tell them before it gets confirmed by pathology. And there are lots that I misdiagnose with my limited skills, it's tricky, get checked by a professional if there's any chance.

jenkinsnb

Ten Pointer
A good friend of mine growing up played a ton of soccer year round. She had a spot of melanoma removed from her ankle at 20 years old. You’re never too young to avoid cancer. Glad they caught yours early

Lowg08

Ten Pointer
I agree whole hearted. I have been having an annual check up since I was 32. I wear an extra sun visor at works and long sleeves and I firmly believe in sunscreen. So far I’ve been lucky. But an annual check up isn’t hard to do. Just takes some time. Im talking blood work and all. Take care of yourself. This includes the dentist too.

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
I thought that I would be okay to sit in my blind this morning and if I shot a big one just get help to get him out. Doctor was adamant about not doing anything to rip out the stiches.

Nope, not gonna happen today, darn I'm sore. She cut right on the top of that muscle on the left side of my neck, it's hard to turn my head this morning. Small price to pay for getting this taken care of.

UpATree

Ten Pointer
Contributor
You know that “naked” feeling when you are out of the house without your gun? That’s how I feel when I’m outside without a hat.

Ball caps don’t protect your ears or neck. The cheap sunscreen burns when you touch your face or ears and then your eyes. Neutrogena isn’t so bad.

There’s a lot of style around a hat. Pub hat for church. Brimmed felt hats in winter. Straw cowboy hat for fishing. And watch those leathers! Imagine the stares when you mismatch belt, holster, shoes and hat. And take it off at the dinner table like mama told you to.

Soilman

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
When I started my outdoor career, Within the first year, I had an “old timer” preach to me about the skin cancers he had removed. I began wearing broad brimmed hats on and off the job. After 34 years, It has pretty much become my trademark. Hopefully, it will pay off for skin cancer.

Lastfling

Six Pointer
Just had my yearly check last month. Still wrapping my head around the term barnacles LOL. I had always known them as moles .

LIZZRD

Eight Pointer
I wear a buff most of the time, even when it's near a 100 degrees .
Check up the end of the month.
Also a good time to man up and have that prostate checked and schedule a colonoscopy.

thelivecanary

Eight Pointer
I have a family history of cancer and play outside a lot so I've been going annually for the last three years. It's good to have a non-judgemental human give you a head to toe scan. Trust me the wife or girlfriend in your life doesn't want to look to closely hahaha.

Sportsman

Old Mossy Horns
Glad you're diligent in your checkups and that the doc caught this early. I spend a lot of time outside year round, and admit that until I hit my 40's I didn't do much to protect my skin. I do see a dermatologist every 6 months for a full body check. I've had a few places cut out.....fortunately no cancer yet. Good luck in your healing and hopefully you'll be hunting again soon.

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I wear a buff most of the time, even when it's near a 100 degrees .
Check up the end of the month.
Also a good time to man up and have that prostate checked and schedule a colonoscopy.
That's a hard pass from me on the prostate check. Just ain't gonna happen. I'll pay for an MRI of the damn thing first. Got one scheduled for Jan in fact. The colonoscopy happens every five years. But if I weren't knocked out for it, that wouldn't happen either.

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
I'm with you Tip....... sorta. Daddy told me that some things had a one way valve for a reason and I believe him. I don't do either and never have. I'm not a macho man and cast no aspersions towards those who practice such precautions. It's was just never my thing and at this point, what has been done isn't going to make that much difference. I have my own perspective to life and the world in general and it is not to live forever. I know my best is behind me and to me, the future, as a whole is bleak so I choose to not fight the inevitable and just go along for the ride, whatever it may be. I'm glad in knowing that someone who wants it is using the doctor's time that I am giving up.

Greg

Old Mossy Horns
For those NOT at high risk, prostate can be checked via blood test and Cologuard can handle the colonoscopy.

As for skin cancer, I had a spot removed from my arm a few years back. Basal cell carcinoma. If you're gonna get one, that's the one, as it is the least dangerous. I got burned a lot when I was young, and ever since I wised up it's been long sleeves and a hat for me. My family gets a kick out of me when we walk outdoors in daylight. I move from shady spot to shady spot. And they wonder why I MUCH prefer the woods over the beach. ;)

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Agree on the skin screening, also colonoscopy’s. Yes the prep sucks but my wife was diagnosed at 37 with stage 4 and my dad stage 1 at 57. For the most part preventable and curable if caught early. Don’t put it off!

I’ve had a few moles removed all fine and a couple “old man barnacles” frozen off. That was the docs words not mine. Got a chuckle out of that.

specialk

Twelve Pointer
i'll add prostrate exam as well, had 2 good men i know that died from prostrate cancer and my late father had problems with his.....i have it done every year.....rather be made to sit and listen to joe biden speak for 2 hrs.....

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
The female doctor who does the prostate exams at the Gville VA is a gosh awful ugly woman but thankfully she has long skinny fingers. You ain't gonna have any impure thoughts with that one plundering around in your junkroom boys...

NCST8GUY

Frozen H20 Guy
Having Vitiligo (what Michael Jackson claimed to have), my skin's pigment has the inability to block UV over parts of my body. I'll wear SPF 70 on a cloudy day in February if I know I'll be outside long.