Okay time for some advice to the macho men

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
Pathology report came back all clear on what they dug out Monday. No melanoma in residual areas, in situ.

I do have a three-inch incision with ten stitches showing on the back of my neck that is gonna leave a mark. Small price to pay for "nipping it in the bud".

Oh you did have full excision and not Moh’s. I mistook it you had results that day during the visit.

My spot wasn’t but a pencil eraser so thought it was overkill to have 6.5 cm scar. Made sense when they explained the need for a healthy margin and pull the skin back together so they don’t have to come back and cut again.

Longrifle

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
My spot wasn’t but a pencil eraser so thought it was overkill to have 6.5 cm scar. Made sense when they explained the need for a healthy margin and pull the skin back together so they don’t have to come back and cut again.
Same here, about the size of a pencil eraser in the middle of my forehead. They kept cutting and checking and cutting and checking until hole was the size of a quarter. Then they started stretching and stitching and then sent me home from Durham...with nothing for pain. If I hadn't found some meds left over from a dental procedure I'd have been in ER by midnight, pain was off the charts...

Zach's Grandpa

Old Mossy Horns
Oh you did have full excision and not Moh’s. I mistook it you had results that day during the visit.

Yeah, I guess they took out quite a plug from the incision and stitches. Took over an hour from start to finish.

Amazing how you can walk around feeling perfectly fine and not know that something is attacking you that could kill you if not treated. It's the things that don't hurt that are dangerous.

bwfarms

Old Mossy Horns
pain was off the charts...

When the local anesthesia wore off I thought I was in pain but it turned out it was poorly placed dressing. When I moved, the tape would prevent skin to move with my muscles and it would burn. Once I figured it out I had wife redress and I would move in full range while she placed the tape.

Otherwise I was pain free minus very minor discomfort.

duckhunterwst

Eight Pointer
As someone who has had a melanoma removed please also understand that they can show up anywhere on your body. Not just areas that are exposed to the sun. This is why it is important to see a dermatologist yearly for a full body scan. I go every 8 months now and will continue from now on. I think I was 41 when they removed it. I have had quite a few other spots removed as well especially moles but thankfully they came back negative. I prefer zinc based sunscreens versus the regular stuff at Wally World as it as been said to have adverse long term affects.

DuckyDave

Eight Pointer
Contributor
I too have been cut on or burned off so many times I have lost count. Now at age 65 the 2 things I regret most about my outdoor hobbies: 1) wear sunscreen and/or cover up. 2) wear hearing protection
I hope you younger forum members will listen to advice that I heard many years ago but regrettably ignored.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
Yup everyone needs know its just not an old person disease many a person under 40 had had and some died from it. Just don't do like me last place I had removed didn't take it easy on stitches and dern if didn't bust open and get infected

agsnchunt

Old Mossy Horns
I too have been cut on or burned off so many times I have lost count. Now at age 65 the 2 things I regret most about my outdoor hobbies: 1) wear sunscreen and/or cover up. 2) wear hearing protection
I hope you younger forum members will listen to advice that I heard many years ago but regrettably ignored.

The scars and ringing club.

YanceyGreenhorn

Still Not a Moderator
After over a dozen calls to different offices and being told the wait time was 2-4 months, I was able to get in touch with a dermatologist in Knoxville and get scheduled for this Friday.
Got checked out today. Doctor had no concerns and said I had nothing to worry about. I am someone that usually puts potential health issues out of my mind and hopes it doesn’t come back to bite me. Felt good to be told by a doctor that I’m good to go as far as melanoma is concerned. Thanks for the encouragement via creating this thread

DBCooper

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
I'm 58. I went for the 1st time, last year. My doc is a +/- 25 yo little brunette - absolute smoke show.

She went all over me with some sort of scope thingy.......even looked down inside my underwear.

I wouldn't miss another one for the world.

Reactions: RBR