Oil change question?

TheCloudX

Ten Pointer
Contributor
I follow the trucks system based on when I should get an oil change. On my 19 Ram, I have 5100 miles and it shows about 45% or so. Oil changes are recommended every 10,000 miles or 12 months. Seems to be on track. I've always done it at the dealership I bought it from, if possible. Never have had an issue.

CanAmMan

Twelve Pointer
I think everyone really needs to change at least their oil filter every 1500 miles and only replace with a Wix Filter!!!!!

spittinfire

Six Pointer
I’m really curious as to where some of you guys get your information about oil and change intervals.
I’m far from an expert but I know more then the average guy and have received training from oil manufacturers and blenders.

On a street car it’s really not complicated. Find an oil that meets the service grade requirements of your vehicle and use that. Run the oil for the period of time outlined in the owners manual that corresponds with how you use it. That’s it.
Been doing that for the last 30 years that I’ve been working on cars and not had an oil related problem. Regularly see engines go 200k, 300k and my daily driver has over 400k.

If you really want to fine tune your oil and service intervals take an oil sample and have it analyzed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JONOV

Old Mossy Horns
Man, I hope the oil companies bought the Advertising Executive that came up with "3 Months, 3000 Miles" with a house on Wrightsville Beach with a yacht in front of it. It's one of the most underrated campaigns out there, right up there with "The Marlboro Man" and "A diamond is forever."

lasttombstone

Kinder, Gentler LTS
Remembered what someone had posted here earlier when I went to town this morning. I have always changed my own oil in everything I have owned but today, I just didn't feel like crawling under the truck. It has been about 10K since I changed the oil and it is a little low so heading out on the interstate tomorrow I decided I'd let someone else do it. (Last time that is going to happen if I can possibly help it.) Anyway, I stopped at the Gas House and topped off at $2.31, reset the trip odometer and glanced at the overall mileage just because the led thing was actually working today. Noticed that it was 298, 755. After the oil change I saw that they had put a little sticker on my windshield with location and oil used along with the mileage, 300,755. Didn't realize it was that far from the Gas House to Walmart. Heck, I can actually see it.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Remembered what someone had posted here earlier when I went to town this morning. I have always changed my own oil in everything I have owned but today, I just didn't feel like crawling under the truck. It has been about 10K since I changed the oil and it is a little low so heading out on the interstate tomorrow I decided I'd let someone else do it. (Last time that is going to happen if I can possibly help it.) Anyway, I stopped at the Gas House and topped off at $2.31, reset the trip odometer and glanced at the overall mileage just because the led thing was actually working today. Noticed that it was 298, 755. After the oil change I saw that they had put a little sticker on my windshield with location and oil used along with the mileage, 300,755. Didn't realize it was that far from the Gas House to Walmart. Heck, I can actually see it.
I think that's telling you that you need to change your oil at that mileage...so for you, since you drive all that cross country X-truck stuff and cross the desert with all the sand and dust, you need your oil changed every 2 thousand miles.

roundball

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Just to chime into an active thread, I never switched to synthetic oil...always used Quaker State, and change oil & filter every 2000 miles