Ohio made change to 1 gobbler season......

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
I hope you right but I do not think so... The decline has been happening for years now but the last 3-4 years it has really accelerated... I personally don't think it will until they do more, cut out the fall season and open the season for the nest raiders to all year long. In a corn pile when you can count 13 racoons together I think that is a problem....
oh yeah I agree 100% there is a gradual decline going for 10 years or more back likely. I was just pointing out the falling off cliff from 20,000ish thousand to last years 14000 was not as bad as looks cause the numbers were greatly inflated from that cicada hatch back in 2017 then the real good hatch next year on top made for higher harvest than even their solid years before. Its still declining just not as bad as it looks but it might get that bad in future. Harvest alone is gonna be kinda hard tell story now that its cut to one tag you would already expect it to be lower with just that added in. If they get another solid hatch this spring on top last year could see little leveling off around 14,500- 16,000birds killed for couple years which would be very solid at 1 tag limit

Reactions: PG2

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
Shoot the nest raiders. When’s the last time a game warden checked your raccoon limit?? A suppressed 22 over a corn pile does a number on them.

And maybe people should have some self control. If you are that worried about the turkeys then stop killing them.

hawglips

Old Mossy Horns
Lovette Williams used to encourage the shooting of Jake’s if one wants to engage in fall turkey hunting, because he said a fall Jake only had about a 50% chance to live to become a two year old, whereas an adult Gobbler had a much better chance to survive another year or two, generally speaking.

so carrying that over to the next spring and shooting a Jake versus shooting a gobbler, I think shooting a breeding gobbler who has a better chance at surviving for another year would be more detrimental to a healthy turkey population than shooting a Jake is. The only good thing about prohibiting killing Jakes is in the event that one does not kill a turkey at all if he doesn’t kill a Jake.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
^That only makes sense if you shoot the jake that wasn’t gonna make it in the first place😉

that's why I only shoot the really mature old gobblers that have been cast aside by the young upstarts,,, you know, the fellow who's on his last Spring,,

see I send a survey out to the turkeys each winter, to get a good feel for which one needs whacking,,,

or maybe I whack the one that comes in close enough,,,,

one or the other!