Ohio license increase again

PG2

Ten Pointer
Ohio has risen their prices again, $180 for the general license and $76 for a deer tag. The spring gobbler is the same as last year. The guy I talked to said they have a 3 year plan in place to raise the non-resident 3 years in a row. This is the second year... how much more next year???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol Copper

Twelve Pointer
Thanks for the heads up, getting ready to buy mine for the year. Figured it was only a matter of time...

Bailey Boat

Twelve Pointer
Ohio has risen their prices again, $180 for the general license and $76 for a deer tag. The spring gobbler is the same as last year. The guy I talked to said they have a 3 year plan in place to raise the non-resident 3 years in a row. This is the second year... how much more next year???

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which will trigger NC, and other states to raise the fees on Ohio residents, and so forth and so on, and on, and on, and on..... Bureaucracy at it's finest...

mjbrady

Twelve Pointer
Hold on little bit lets break it in slowly for us fairly new to hunting state

turkeyfoot, no offense to you, but that tag is cheap and has been cheap far to long. They kept it cheap and now they are seeing the error of their ways in doing so.

Firedog

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Cheap out of state tags bring in a lot of out of state hunters and put undue pressure on the resource, or that is the thought at least. In some situations I agree with that thought.

turkeyfoot

Old Mossy Horns
turkeyfoot, no offense to you, but that tag is cheap and has been cheap far to long. They kept it cheap and now they are seeing the error of their ways in doing so.
Oh yeah I know its one the best deals I've paid 300 plus just to hunt turkeys non resident so even if they went 350 still not terrible

timekiller13

Old Mossy Horns
This is just going to be the norm from here on out. License are increasing across the board in many states. Western states have seen drastic increases in license and application fees over last few years. Can't blame them, if people are willing to pay, then they will keep raising the prices. Economy is strong right now, gas prices are low, people have more disposable income, so they are willing to travel out of state to hunt and they don't mind paying a little extra.

PG2

Ten Pointer
Growing up in Ohio and hunting there every year this kind of stings... I know they are strapped for money but making non-residents pay for it, it is not good. There are many more ways to lighten that burden, 1 article says that even a 1/8 % of a sales tax increase would help, raise the resident licenses too, even 2 dollars for each would work. Another article says they want to raise the non-resident deer tag but be fair, how is a 300% increase fair? I know that the State is below the average for non-resident license but I believe there are other ways... I am open to increase but this are too far. Last year my sons youth license was the same amount as mine, normally the youth tags are the same for residents and non residents, but buying it in April I payed the $180+ for the license and turkey tag and later on in the year lower it back to the resident price and I did not get a refund...

brownisdown

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
Maybe if they raise tag prices high enough leases will be more available! Tag prices are the cheapest part of anything i hunt just about.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
Growing up in Ohio and hunting there every year this kind of stings... I know they are strapped for money but making non-residents pay for it, it is not good. There are many more ways to lighten that burden, 1 article says that even a 1/8 % of a sales tax increase would help, raise the resident licenses too, even 2 dollars for each would work. Another article says they want to raise the non-resident deer tag but be fair, how is a 300% increase fair? I know that the State is below the average for non-resident license but I believe there are other ways... I am open to increase but this are too far. Last year my sons youth license was the same amount as mine, normally the youth tags are the same for residents and non residents, but buying it in April I payed the $180+ for the license and turkey tag and later on in the year lower it back to the resident price and I did not get a refund...
Out of state prices are going to put me out of doing it anymore. I have enjoyed hunting the midwest the last 20 years. I just think I am done now...

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I guess I don't understand. Is 30.00 per month really that much of an inconvenience? We are essentially talking a dollar per day. And that's outrageous?

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
I guess I don't understand. Is 30.00 per month really that much of an inconvenience? We are essentially talking a dollar per day. And that's outrageous?
By the time you purchase a license, gas, hotel, food and put all that into a 4 day hunt, yes it is expensive...too expensive to justify versus a family trip somewhere...

Tipmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
By the time you purchase a license, gas, hotel, food and put all that into a 4 day hunt, yes it is expensive...too expensive to justify versus a family trip somewhere...

You were going to pay the gas, hotel and food costs anyway. So those shouldn't be deal breakers. I guess I still don't understand. If you want to do something then plan for it, save for it and do it.

dpc

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Least NC got smart and plan to save the land with donations.......

luckybuck

Old Mossy Horns
You were going to pay the gas, hotel and food costs anyway. So those shouldn't be deal breakers. I guess I still don't understand. If you want to do something then plan for it, save for it and do it.
I can afford it, I guess there is just a point where I can't mentally justify a single deer being worth $350 for one tag. My entire Ohio hunt last November didn't cost that much including gas, a place to stay, AND food. At this point in my life I would rather take the family somewhere fun for what it would cost..maybe I am cheap but it is just hard to justify when I live on close to 400 acres and have plenty of deer to hunt here.

sll

Four Pointer
Too many people hunting in Ohio as it is. Esp on public land. You take your life in your hands during gun season.
I have witnessed this first-hand myself. If your blaze orange is a year old it is too faded to be out there.