Offshore fishing trip questions

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
Some men in my church and I are wanting to put together a 6 man offshore fishing trip for this year.
I would love to know what you guys think the best time of the year to catch Mahi (and other fish) would be.
Also, would like to get opinions of where to leave out of and maybe even what boat to go on.
Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance for the help,
dj

Last edited:

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Where are you going out of? Mahi? Went in May one year and put 500lbs of gaffers in the boat before we stopped fishing for them by 10AM. Ended the day just shy of 600lbs. Couldve kept on the color change and had that by 11AM easily, but we pulled further off shore and started pulling big baits for billfish. That was Mid May out of Hatteras.

Im partial to Hatteras and Oregon Inlet boats though.....

DeerJerky

Six Pointer
Contributor
Thanks for the response Justin. We are open to anywhere in NC. The trip you went on sounds exactly like what we would like to do. Do you have a specific boat you would recommend for a trip like the one you went on?
Thanks,
dj

Justin

Old Mossy Horns
Thanks for the response Justin. We are open to anywhere in NC. The trip you went on sounds exactly like what we would like to do. Do you have a specific boat you would recommend for a trip like the one you went on?
Thanks,
dj

Steve Coulter of the Sea Creature gets my vote, but there are half a dozen in most marinas that on any given day, will be in the meat consistently. Most of those guys work well together and work hard to put meat in the box.

I’ve been on Hatteras Fever II and he’s a helluva captain but I hated hearing how he talked down to his mates, publically. I’m sure they were slacking from his view point but they were busting tail from where I stood.

Steve has always been mild mannered and answered all my stupid questions, with enthusiasm.

Arch Bracher on the pelican out of Oregon Inlet would get my vote too. I think he has gills under his shirt. Heck of a captain and one of the best drum fishermen to throw a bait.

There are a lot of great Captains out there. Those two inlets separate a lot of wheat from the chaff eventually.

SharpShooter

Ten Pointer
Any of the boats out of Oregon inlet should do y’all fine. We like the Marlin Gull. May, June and July. Catch tuna dolphin, wahoo and billfish. Our last trip brought in 482lbs of yellowfins sand four dolphin

redbow

Ten Pointer
Whoever you go with, make sure that they won't bring you in at 10 am if you catch your"limit". Remember, you paid for an all day charter. Some folks here disagree but they are not very bright.

CRC

Old Mossy Horns
Whoever you go with, make sure that they won't bring you in at 10 am if you catch your"limit". Remember, you paid for an all day charter. Some folks here disagree but they are not very bright.

I don't get it. If you catch your limit, you've caught your limit and fishing is over.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
You are not going to catch your limit of everything. Went out several years ago out of Morehead. We caught our limit of Mahi and the captain pulled us off and we trolled for other fish the rest of the day. All day means all day. That crap of coming in at 10-11 o'clock in the morning don't cut it. Beagle Charters out of Morehead to answer your question. He will take you out 50 miles or so and its on. Late May to early June seemed to be good for us.

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Look at the pier reports for the marinas that you are wanting to run out of, those will give you an idea of the boats that produce regularly.
I've had really good luck with the Good Times out of Hattaras, Captain Andy and his crew work like crazy to catch fish.

30/06

Twelve Pointer
Mahi - either Morehead or Hatteras in May, just hope the wind doesn't blow you out.
Tuna - Oregon Inlet in late May or June.

If fishing is decent for either of those 2 locals you'd better have a good size freezer. Good luck!

Starfan

Eight Pointer
There has been a lot of great information shared already. I mate part time on one of the Morehead City waterfront boats so I'll throw my two cents in. If you want to catch Yellowfin consistently Oregon Inlet I where you need to go. We get most of the same fish that Hatteras gets. We have a great Gaffer and billfish bite in May and early June. We also have a phenomenal wahoo bite starting around the first of July, although wahoo are a possibility any day of the year out of Morehead. I hope this helps

Starfan

Eight Pointer
I'm not sure of the rules on this site about advertising so that is not what I'm trying to do. If you PM me I'll be glad to let you know.

btsharky

Twelve Pointer
It does not give me the PM option, I guess because of your post count. I was just wondering because I fish there a lot and know a few of the captains. I don't think it would be advertising but if it concerns you don't worry about it.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I'm not sure of the rules on this site about advertising so that is not what I'm trying to do. If you PM me I'll be glad to let you know.

in this case, not an issue,,you would merely be answering a question, just like if someone asked where I worked,,,,,

Nana

Big Ole Nanny
Contributor
I thought I heard today that Oregon Inlet would be closed thru part of May for the bridge construction.

woodmoose

Administrator
Staff member
Contributor
I thought I heard today that Oregon Inlet would be closed thru part of May for the bridge construction.

closures aren't supposed to be but 2 hrs at a time

https://apps.ncdot.gov/newsreleases/details.aspx?r=14790

work on the Bonner Bridge replacement requires the contractor on the project, PCL Civil Constructors Inc., to periodically close the marine navigation channel in Oregon Inlet between February 2018 to May 2018 so that it can safely erect the new bridge.

Closures will occur several times each week, for no more than two hours at a time. All efforts are being made to conduct the closures when marine traffic (fishing charters, etc.) is light.

Closures will be posted to (the page above)[sic], as needed, at least 48 hours in advance.

GSOHunter

Twelve Pointer
Contributor

"Box is full...We're going in"

Establish what you want to accomplish and expect from the charter and go from there. Oregon Inlet has a disclaimer that the trip is over when the captain says so or when the "box is full".

I got spoiled with the fish from sun up to sun down in the keys for $1000-1200.

AB1620

Button Buck
You are not going to catch your limit of everything. Went out several years ago out of Morehead. We caught our limit of Mahi and the captain pulled us off and we trolled for other fish the rest of the day. All day means all day. That crap of coming in at 10-11 o'clock in the morning don't cut it. Beagle Charters out of Morehead to answer your question. He will take you out 50 miles or so and its on. Late May to early June seemed to be good for us.

Not sure the best way to word this, but there are several boats on the waterfront I would go with before I went with Beagle. He has his days but he's a 1 trick pony. He's going to the 90 and he's working out to the BR from there. I hate to be the bearer of bad news but he didn't take you out 50 miles. Maybe if you eventually went Billfishing but I can promise you he didn't start 50 miles out. The other boats down there will run anywhere from the Wall to Hatteras depending on where the water looks the best. Only problem is they are damn near impossible to get on in May/June unless you book a year out.

ncscrubmaster

Twelve Pointer
Contributor
It sure felt like 50 miles lol. We caught fish but I'm sure there are good boats and captains up and down through there. It does get busy there that time of year.

LanceR

Six Pointer
Contributor
For the sake of those of us who are completely new to this kind of fishing what are some thoughts on price ranges for different charters? And who cleans the fish?

Thanks

Lance

Eric Revo

Old Mossy Horns
Contributor
Charter prices are all over the place depending on what kind of fishing(inshore vs offshore) and how long you are staying out as well as how large the boat is and occupancy. Typically a full day of offshore is gonna run between $1500 and $2000 for a 6 man set up, trolling for bill fish may be a bit more due to distance the boat has to run and how long it takes to access the area to be fished.
Fish cleaning is typically done at the dock, either you pay out the wazoo for someone else to clean the fish, or clean them yourself at the cleaning stations that are at every dock/marina out there for the most part. Someone else cleaning your fish is a big business and a crazy added expense if you're not prepared for it.